What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fucking mosquitos!

I can not beleive how bad the mosquitos are in my area this year.I am not doing an outdoor patch this year but i feel very sorry for the ones who are.It has to be about 25 times worse than normal.I cant go out to my truck without getting devoured.And where i live i generally dont get bothered at all.So i would imagine the people workin out in the woods are getting destroyed.So my question is:What are the best deterrents you know of?

The mosquitoes are extremely vicious in the northwoods. the only thing that keeps me from getting eaten alive is being covered head to toe. When I go out to the bog I wear long pants, a thin camouflage zip-up hoodie, a hat, and a head net over that. A head net is your best friend this time of year- I couldn't grow without one. Deet works alright but its got to be at least over 30%. Also have some spray just for clothing its got pyrethrin (I think thats how its spelled)- nasty stuff but it helps keep ticks away too. I used to have some natural mosquito repellant that worked great I think it was made from citronella. I dont mind the mosquitoes so much when i think of them as guard dogs for my patch (;

THC123

Veteran
i always eat very spicy food , and they seem to leave me alone whi!le my friends get devoured:D

so start eating chili peppers:dance013:

H

Hoover_lungz

I goto the health shop and buy sum citronella and the mozzy hate me:)

Skin so soft main ingrediant is citronella

With all the crazy spring rains in Oregon this year; I cant even go outside my house without the little buggers attacking me. worst year ever.

eyedrops

pure deet does the job well but you can't put it on your face. Good ole moskito repellent liberated from the work is my go to. but deep woods off hasnt dropped the ball when applied generously

M

Mitch Connor

They're horrible around my area this year too. I decided to pop 5 extra seeds I had and do a city industrial grow near a secluded swamp. I went there a couple weeks ago to scout for a few good spots, and was eaten alive with no mask on. I had to make a custom screen/mesh mask that I put over my face, then slip a heavy hoodie over. I look like a fckin beekeeper when I'm out there diggin my holes but I haven't gotten bitten once since. Guess I shouldn't have picked a swamp to have my plants.. . Haha it'll be worth it though

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
How about nice tropical Deer Flies and Bot flies...?

Now, that's something you can literally take home.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
but deep woods off hasnt dropped the ball when applied generously

Dont work in my area, they just bite through that stuff

we get extra strength repellents for this area. Surrounded by water and forests, we dont stand a chance

I am also allergic to Skeeters, i keep their bite for about 6 months or so as a red dot on my skin.

nomaad

Veteran
In El Honduragua we use Repel's natural Lemon Eucalyptus formulation. Works very well against skeeters and black flies.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
If you pour a container of mountain lion piss on yourself they will leave you alone, but you might get humped by a lion.

Its a shitty situation... :)

nomaad

Veteran
Help Wanted: Mountain Lion Pee Milker. No experience necesary.

Job market is bad enough that this might actually catch on.

A

argoagro

I wear hoodies in the swamp even when it's 90* out, the key obviously is to drink tons and tons of water beforehand until you feel like you want to throw up, then drink some more before you leave & bring some with you :) It's the only thing that has worked for me, and even then they still find my face once in awhile.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Nepeta cataria is more effective than DEET. You can grow the plant in your yard, and also drink tea made of it, which will detract the mosquitoes from bitting you.

Irie !