What's new

from Seeds to Seedlings in Soil (play-by-play)

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
picture.php

To Top or Not:

I do not always top. But since I only have 6’ 11” from floor to ceiling in my room, I do so more often than not. Here I’m showing the topping of two of them. This took place exactly two weeks after being put into SOLO cups. Once they’re all topped I misted them. They’re being misted with the same solution that they’re being watered with. It’s just more diluted. For example if you add one cup to a spray bottle, then also add one cup of tap water. 50/50 of solution and tap water.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Transplant Prep:

Next these babies will be transplanted into one gallon containers. They’re thirty days from seed. The same method of burying will again be used. This time there will be some trimming of lower branches. Do not trim away these lower light deprived branches until ready to transplant. You don’t want them to heal before being buried under the soil. The same principles will apply. Water thoroughly, and wait. Judge when to water by weight. Once in one gallon containers I veg under MH. On average within three to four weeks they’ll be ready to transplant into larger containers to flower. Also, I’d say about 80% of the time by the end of veg there are distinguishable pre-flowers. This helps for isolating males. Not to mention saving on soil if you don’t want to do anything with the males.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
picture.php
picture.php

Neem Oil:

I had spider mites once. I found out that neem oil is not a good remedy. However, it is a great preventive. Since I started using neem oil early in their life, through roughly the second to third week of flowering, I have not had spider mites again. So after about two weeks in the SOLO cups I start applying neem oil once a week.

In Closing:

One of the most common mistakes new growers make is overwatering. The method I’m sharing here is nearly foolproof for avoiding this mistake. The two points I’m trying to emphasize here are starting small and potting up; and using container weight to judge when to water.

While I’m not pushing Fox Farm or the exact products I used as much as I am the method of up-potting and watering by container weight, I will say that the Fox Farm recipe does make things incredibly easy. For the new growers out there who want to start growing in soil, it doesn’t get much easier than this. It’s actually a water only recipe. Babies get proper nourishment by way of up-potting into fresh soil at the correct time. But I do recommend adding maxicrop and Thrive Alive B-1 green label. Hope this helps one or two of you out there!

Happy & Successful Growing!

Tri_Cho_Me

How do you know when to top?

Also, why don't you want the lower branch trimming to heal before repotting?

Tri_Cho_Me

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
How do you know when to top?

Also, why don't you want the lower branch trimming to heal before repotting?

Tri_Cho_Me

Lot of factors at play when deciding to top (or not). That said, general consensus seems to say after your baby has developed at least four nodes. It seems most do so between four and six. Much of ‘when’ is determined by your end goals though. Others may say otherwise but I’d advise against topping, or even training, for this first grow of yours. Focus on a healthy natural growth process to get a feel for things first.

I usually don’t top & train (if I do) until after I’ve transplanted into one gallon and given them a few days to adjust. I topped here in SOLO just to show the process since I wasn’t continuing on past the cup stage.

When you bury the main stem it will promote root development along the stem - greater root mass = better yield. If you trim nodes and bury during a transplant before they heal, root development will be kickstarted (direct exposure). Not to mention these areas will make for larger roots.

Best of luck with your first go round!

Tri_Cho_Me

Lot of factors at play when deciding to top (or not). That said, general consensus seems to say after your baby has developed at least four nodes. It seems most do so between four and six. Much of ‘when’ is determined by your end goals though. Others may say otherwise but I’d advise against topping, or even training, for this first grow of yours. Focus on a healthy natural growth process to get a feel for things first.

I usually don’t top & train (if I do) until after I’ve transplanted into one gallon and given them a few days to adjust. I topped here in SOLO just to show the process since I wasn’t continuing on past the cup stage.

When you bury the main stem it will promote root development along the stem - greater root mass = better yield. If you trim nodes and bury during a transplant before they heal, root development will be kickstarted (direct exposure). Not to mention these areas will make for larger roots.

Best of luck with your first go round!

Thank you for the tips! Truly appreciated.

I am still kind of playing things by ear at this point. Tossing around a couple of ideas and possibilities. Part of me wants to do it completely natural and just see how it is supposed to be. But there is also a part of me that has spent a considerable amount of time, energy and money on this, that I feel like I might as well just go all out and do it.

I will have to keep the node/root thing in mind when it comes to transplanting. My next pot is a 1 gallon Smart Pot which is fairly shallow. Hopefully the roots growing out to the side is ok rather than down. Thoughts?

Tri_Cho_Me

DanDanger

Wow! That's all I gotta say! I first looked at the pictures as if to say "What the fuck is this person doing here? Brownish kinda water to germinate seeds? What?" But! As with any artiste. With an 'e' at the end there, yeah... With any artiste, you watch the painting start out. And, yeah. It looks like shit. It looks weird. Strange, maybe. Just wait! Wait for it... Time shows great improvement to the picture, as it begins to take shape... I was amazed. Reading, and looking through the words and pictures with a look of sheer be-puzzlement on my face. By the end, by the end there, my face hurt. It was smushed in such a look. Muddled in such a stare. By this amazing grow. Your roots look like they'd grow right through you! I've got this thing for roots ;)

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thank you for the tips! Truly appreciated.

I am still kind of playing things by ear at this point. Tossing around a couple of ideas and possibilities. Part of me wants to do it completely natural and just see how it is supposed to be. But there is also a part of me that has spent a considerable amount of time, energy and money on this, that I feel like I might as well just go all out and do it.

I will have to keep the node/root thing in mind when it comes to transplanting. My next pot is a 1 gallon Smart Pot which is fairly shallow. Hopefully the roots growing out to the side is ok rather than down. Thoughts?

Tri_Cho_Me

By all means, if you’re feeling froggy - jump! If you wanna top and train, there’s no better place to give it a go. There’s a lot of knowledgeable folks here who’ll be willing to get you through it. It’s a great place to learn, that’s why I’m here.

A word of caution though, sometimes an eagerness to try everything at once can bite ya. I know firsthand.

Lots of people love Smart Pots. I’m not one of them. This is not to knock the product. It’s just a way of saying they suck to transplant out of. It can be done. I’ve done it more times than I care to recall - before I gave up on them. I’d say, if you’re determined to use them, use them as your final flowering pot. In other words, transplant into one gallon plastic containers, and then to your final size in a SP for flowering.

Wow! That's all I gotta say! I first looked at the pictures as if to say "What the fuck is this person doing here? Brownish kinda water to germinate seeds? What?" But! As with any artiste. With an 'e' at the end there, yeah... With any artiste, you watch the painting start out. And, yeah. It looks like shit. It looks weird. Strange, maybe. Just wait! Wait for it... Time shows great improvement to the picture, as it begins to take shape... I was amazed. Reading, and looking through the words and pictures with a look of sheer be-puzzlement on my face. By the end, by the end there, my face hurt. It was smushed in such a look. Muddled in such a stare. By this amazing grow. Your roots look like they'd grow right through you! I've got this thing for roots ;)

Thanks for the kind words, DD.

Funny you mention the dirty water... I’ve been using that solution for so long (sometimes different variations) that before I joined here I just kinda thought everyone soaked in seaweed/kelp and or added stimulants... at the least some hydrogen peroxide... but most use just water.

I like roots too. I spent a few years doing aeroponics. The joy wasn’t even about the increased yield, as much as it was about watching the huge white mass of roots keep growing... Ah, good stuff. :biggrin:

smkpsn79

What a great right up! Lots of pics, easy to understand. I have seen my Grandmother trim the lower nodes off of tomato plants that were in starter pots, before replanting them much deeper in their 'adult' pots. She said the same thing, that it would help develop the root system.:tiphat:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hi smkpsn79.

And welcome to the site!

Thanks for letting me know it was easy to follow. I made an effort for it to be so, but wasn't sure if I got it. :tongue:

Yep, same principal that many folks use for 'mater plants. Grandmothers, they usually know what's what about a lot of things... :)

daveyhouse

Awesome thread thank you,

My attention span is extremely short after 3 sentences my mind starts drifting into weird corners of solar system, but your thread kept my attention, loved it.:bow:

I'll be bookmarking this one for my 2nd grow

DanDanger

Thanks, man. I am definitely going to try out your way for germinating... And transplanting. Keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration. And, yeah. Roots are awesome! I've just hopped on the root band wagon after my last harvest. The roots just stayed in the same place, essentially. So I've devoted my time to roots on this grow. After I figure that out, I will get back to growing the buds bigger... As big as a T5 bulbs allows.
Cheers!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Awesome thread thank you,

My attention span is extremely short after 3 sentences my mind starts drifting into weird corners of solar system, but your thread kept my attention, loved it.:bow:

I'll be bookmarking this one for my 2nd grow

Thanks a lot daveyhouse. :) Glad you found some helpful stuff here. We all end up going about things in our own way. Our own methods and routines. I just wanted to share mine with the hope that it might benefit some first time and/or new growers.

Thanks for making me feel like it was worth my time!

Good luck with your grows.

Thanks, man. I am definitely going to try out your way for germinating... And transplanting. Keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration. And, yeah. Roots are awesome! I've just hopped on the root band wagon after my last harvest. The roots just stayed in the same place, essentially. So I've devoted my time to roots on this grow. After I figure that out, I will get back to growing the buds bigger... As big as a T5 bulbs allows.
Cheers!

You should be able to grow some wonderful roots with T5. Your goal of bigger buds should follow from a healthy root ball. I usually use T5 as well, around 200w. So I was pleased with the results of the 125w CFL.

And if you’re not hung up on ‘organic’ labeling, I’d say go with Superthrive instead of Thrive Alive — more bang for your buck.

Add 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide every second or third watering.

Good luck!

DanDanger

Hm... What would the hydrogen peroxide do?
I will maybe look into something to help boost root growth. Another veg cycle gone by with little puny roots.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hm... What would the hydrogen peroxide do?
I will maybe look into something to help boost root growth. Another veg cycle gone by with little puny roots.

If you're not using Maxicrop and Superthrive, for a root growth booster, give 'em a whirl.

Now, hydrogen peroxide...

Bottom line?

Years ago I saw a grow video for aeroponics. I was already on that road. In the video they said to add 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide to the reservoir every three to four days. (mine, of which I had two, were 20 gallons) I was already using it for my seed soak solution... so why not? Well, I saw a significant difference in color and just overall general appearance of the roots. Sometime later I read the same thing. But it also mentioned that it’s also beneficial in soil based mediums. So I tried it; and never stopped using it.

Sorry I don’t have a comprehensive fact based answer. :tongue:

But it is interesting to note that since I’ve joined here, I read somewhere around here (I thought I remembered where and looked for it, but alas a stoner like me can’t remember everything) that it adds oxygen to the roots... maybe, I dunno. BUT, I’ve also seen a thread since I’ve been here that talked about it killing fungus gnats... and boy that got me thinking. I used to fight them bastards... haven’t seen ‘em in years. I’ve tried to recall the timeline and, while I can’t be sure, I think their absence lines up with when I started adding hydrogen peroxide... but I could just be really high... :headbange:

Hey, check it out. I was transplanting a Pre-98 the other day from 3gal to 5gal for flip. Took some pics of the rootball. Not great, was hoping for a bit more mass, but overall not too shabby. And of course my dumb-ass went and set the ball in the soil mix so that it ended up obscuring the base roots when I decided to take pics. And I sure as hell wasn’t gonna wipe off dirt and risk damage for the sake of a picture...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DanDanger

That's not bad! Left me feeling inspired. Gotta get those roots looking better on my end. I'm going to try out the hydrogen peroxide on my next watering... Would that completely fuck up a true living soil though? I just thought of that as I was typing this. I've got my plants in a super soil right now. Took me a month to make... To "cook"... So I don't wanna kill all the beneficial bacteria in there with the hydrogen peroxide. Although, would it work in a bubble cloner?

Latest posts

Latest posts