What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fritter Licker x Z F2 // Twin peaks x Z F2 genetic testing.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
IMG_20240124_192111690_HDR~2.jpg

More males....
Hope that last 10 are fems 🙏

IMG_20240124_192127086_HDR~2.jpg

4 Zkittles Lickers 6 Dog BoneZ...

Last edited:

CannaT

Premium user
You dont have more males doing this tech ? As to being root restricted ?
Hi,Karma In reality I dont know,out of 50 Jacks I got 26 males.
Out of 9 white widows got 3 fems.
Out of 7 orange hill special got 1 female.

So I dont know...I think that genetic play role in gender just like in humans.
Some people here told me that this way I will get more males than females.

If you look like that some strains are very good on fem/male ratio. Some go in direction of males...

If you know more about this topic I would like to learn from you.

Its 32L pot and small roots and plants so I dont think that they are out of space at all.
Maybe something is with roots touching each other.
But than again since last year I grow plants in SOG in soil many in one pot. Never had any hermie or something like that caused by restriced roots in cultivars that are stabil and dosent have hermie tendencies.

CannaT

Premium user
IMG_20240124_193625946_HDR.jpg

Here is Bubblegum TH seeds sour pheno (Sour Bubble as close as it goes)
5 clones in 32L 4 of them are SCROG and one in midle is SOG. 1 month in Veg from clone before flower.
Like no 5 on cubes formation.
Screenshot_20240126-145830~2.png

Screenshot_20240126-145830~2.png

Screenshot_20240126-145813~2.png

Not any hermie trait...If I kill some females that can become males just cuz root is restricted Im happy I dont have them.

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
Clone ore seedplant are 2 differnt things in this case.

Yes i found that with seeds when all planted in small pots and transplanted late the overall male count went up. Also overwatering.

Also with intersex same thing when rootbound ore restricted before and at sexing stage, gave higher percentage.

CannaT

Premium user
Clone ore seedplant are 2 differnt things in this case.

Yes i found that with seeds when all planted in small pots and transplanted late the overall male count went up. Also overwatering.

Also with intersex same thing when rootbound ore restricted before and at sexing stage, gave higher percentage.
I read all night, and there is not a single scientific proof that anything can change the gender of Cannabis which is determined by genetics, but all scientific research says that the gender is determined while the hemp is in the seed and is determined by DNA. So everything is just lottery and luck.
Nothing to do with roots or space,or any other envirmovment factor. I didnt found single evidence for that.

Spraying chems on plants and other genetic manipulations is different story.

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
You didnt find anything about roots prunning and cutting to reverse plants ? Ore the Hormones in the roots ?

Ore the special thing about cannabis that it can have hormone changes and polinate itself if realy needed. Also without human treatment.
(A natural way of making shure it has a new generation if no males around in the wild)

Well anyway me persenoly prefer to grow that way, as i had better succes al these years.

But thats the great thing about growing, you can do it anyway you persenoly like, dont expiernce my comment as critic on your way.

Nothing but good vibes.

CannaT

Premium user
You didnt find anything about roots prunning and cutting to reverse plants ? Ore the Hormones in the roots ?

Ore the special thing about cannabis that it can have hormone changes and polinate itself if realy needed. Also without human treatment.
(A natural way of making shure it has a new generation if no males around in the wild)

Well anyway me persenoly prefer to grow that way, as i had better succes al these years.

But thats the great thing about growing, you can do it anyway you persenoly like, dont expiernce my comment as critic on your way.

Nothing but good vibes.
No Karma dont worry Im not the smartest or all know how being. I like to hear new opinions and take some critics for my account dont wory im not that kind of guy. 👍✌️

I read that Cannabis can polinate itself,It can easily become herm if its needed...due to stress,etc...but it cant change its sex/gender at all...female plant can have few male flowers,and male plant can have female flowers due to stress,air etc....

But If plant geneticaly is female it cant change its gender. There is no evidence for that not any.
(Without chems and gmo.)
Screenshot_20240127-151758-836.png

Last edited:

CannaT

Premium user
IMG_20240127_111950523_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240127_112240770_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240127_140054316_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240127_115857107_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240127_115848780_HDR.jpg

First 2 100% fems have their own pot and name tag.
I kill 2 more males today so at end 2 females 100%
and still 7 more plants that are probably females but will se in some time.
Tp1,Fl1

Last edited:

GreenamI

I am so grateful to see a thread like this, honest open discussion, no cockiness, just pure interest in the plant 💚

I like to add to the discussion, which is a long standing one way before this thread. In 1913 John H. Schaffner already looked into the influence of environment on sex expression in hemp, (1*) but yet it still is not fully understood to this day.

Research from the University of Padova (4*) shows how cannabis becomes male or female. It is controlled by specific genes located close together on chromosomes. For a plant to be male, it needs one gene that stops female organs (SuF) and another gene that encourages being male (M). Female plants have two copies of the genes that stop female organs and don't have the M gene for being male. This process normaly leads to a 50/50 ratio of males and females. male and female genes:

1706530378195.png

However, they also stated that sex seems also to be affected by regular chromosomes, not just the X and Y ones. These genes, stay active throughout the entire life cycle. This means that environmental factors and chemicals can change sex later in cannabis!

As before mentioned in this thread, stress can cause a plant to pollinate itself, and stress can also induce flowering. Putting a lot of plants close together, or in small pots, or overwatering are all forms of stress which might cause the plants to flower sooner, and thus express sex quicker, but hence also increases the chances self pollination with some early ball sacks on female plants.

Hence, I do believe the roots also play an important role in the expression of sex. This has also been shown in research from MK Chailakhyan (2*). If roots were cut from young plants the percentage of males went up. He also showed that when applying growth regulators to young cannabis plants, they can change the sex (3*), which is another clue on the influence of sex change after germination.

Taking everything in account, I think chatgpt is wrong, and would rather agree with @Karma G 's points. Also not ment as bitching, just love sharing our insights and having this open discussion about it 💚✌️

Mentioned sources:
1. https://www.jstor.org/stable/2469863?seq=1
2. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24414015/
3. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24414014/
4. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2020.573299/full#B4

CannaT

Premium user
I am so grateful to see a thread like this, honest open discussion, no cockiness, just pure interest in the plant 💚

I like to add to the discussion, which is a long standing one way before this thread. In 1913 John H. Schaffner already looked into the influence of environment on sex expression in hemp, (1*) but yet it still is not fully understood to this day.

Research from the University of Padova (4*) shows how cannabis becomes male or female. It is controlled by specific genes located close together on chromosomes. For a plant to be male, it needs one gene that stops female organs (SuF) and another gene that encourages being male (M). Female plants have two copies of the genes that stop female organs and don't have the M gene for being male. This process normaly leads to a 50/50 ratio of males and females. male and female genes:

View attachment 18952352

However, they also stated that sex seems also to be affected by regular chromosomes, not just the X and Y ones. These genes, stay active throughout the entire life cycle. This means that environmental factors and chemicals can change sex later in cannabis!

As before mentioned in this thread, stress can cause a plant to pollinate itself, and stress can also induce flowering. Putting a lot of plants close together, or in small pots, or overwatering are all forms of stress which might cause the plants to flower sooner, and thus express sex quicker, but hence also increases the chances self pollination with some early ball sacks on female plants.

Hence, I do believe the roots also play an important role in the expression of sex. This has also been shown in research from MK Chailakhyan (2*). If roots were cut from young plants the percentage of males went up. He also showed that when applying growth regulators to young cannabis plants, they can change the sex (3*), which is another clue on the influence of sex change after germination.

Taking everything in account, I think chatgpt is wrong, and would rather agree with @Karma G 's points. Also not ment as bitching, just love sharing our insights and having this open discussion about it 💚✌️

Mentioned sources:
1. https://www.jstor.org/stable/2469863?seq=1
2. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24414015/
3. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24414014/
4. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2020.573299/full#B4
Cannabis sativa L. is a dioecious species with sexual dimorphism occurring in a late stage of plant development. Sex is determined by heteromorphic chromosomes (X and Y): male is the heterogametic sex (XY) and female is the homogametic one (XX). The sexual phenotype of Cannabis often shows some flexibility leading to the differentiation of hermaphrodite flowers or bisexual inflorescences (monoecious phenotype).

Here are a couple of other studies that say that everything is determined by chromosomes with certain flexibility in gender.
when you read everything and see that a warmer temperature creates males and a colder one creates females, i.e. that every factor affects that gender. I can't conclude anything other than that it's all a lottery. . As I said, I read and concluded that it was all a lottery or raffle and nothing more.
Where seeds are stored also play roles,soil etc,friquency of watering....
So if I plant the all in their own pot if its hot I will have more males...light intensity,light spectrum....to much of everything to be taken in account.

Last edited:

GreenamI

Exactly, so although sex is predetermined by the chromosome composition as explained above, the growing environment etc. might influence the actual sex expression. Great example of the more you know, the more you realize you actually don't know.

CannaT

Premium user
I am somehow convinced that it is difficult to know anything because everything is in motion, which means that it is never the same, and everything is in constant evolution. Therefore, we always need a new adaptation to a new stimulus. No matter how much previous experience we have, even in that same action that we have repeated a thousand times in order to do it perfectly.

Essentially because of the above, we all never stop learning.

CannaT

Premium user
IMG_20240131_185728206.jpg
IMG_20240131_185819340.jpg

2 more boys from TPxZ
and one more female in FLxZ2
I transfer female in her own single pot.I was plan to make sog grow. Now when I see that I will have small number of plants to flower will flower them big with long veg.
IMG_20240131_190130762_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20240131_190030869~2.jpg

IMG_20240131_190508961_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240131_190332814.jpg

IMG_20240131_191630766_HDR.jpg

Other two plants are recovering from transplantation before few days.
IMG_20240131_191713553_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240131_191708111_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

CannaT

Premium user
IMG_20240207_114400590.jpg

Ok last 3 FLZ are all females...so out of 8 FLZ(cuz I had pest atack and they kill few) Iv got 5 females...total I have 7 plants 5FLZ and 2 TPZ...did restricted root bring more males by 60% of FLZ I will say no way just another cannabis myth...
Saw other grower here with TPZ from 14 only 5 females and he did all plants separated...so its something with these seeds or just "bad luck."
Last one and smallest stay in their first pot also is female.
IMG_20240207_115547410.jpg

Now I will wait till they recover and start grow again with great vigor as they did before...than will take few cuttings from each and they will go in flower...
IMG_20240207_115620646.jpg

IMG_20240207_115610016.jpg

So selection is over from 20 plants that survive hard pest atack 7 of them are female.
From 8 FLZ iv got 5 females. 60%
and from 12 TPZ iv got 2 females. 20%
All together close to 35% of females in seeds I got.

Last edited: