What's new

Friends say they are against legalization

J

JackTheGrower

there are wines that go for well over 100 a bottle, there are wines that go for 2 a bottle.

theres stress then theres fire.

dont think that legalization means you cannot make money, think of the MARGINS rather than the actual amount.

good weed will ALWAYS have a profitable margin. always.

yeah you might not get 4k a lb, but I see heirloom tomatoes going for upwards of 6 to 7 bucks a lb all day every day.

I grow 20 lbs of tomatoes on one plant without even trying. You think it costs me over $100 to grow that one tomato plant? please. Maybe a few bux worth of nutes, maybe. If I were to grow and sell heirloom tomatoes direct to consumer, my margins would be higher than weed.

so think of it like this, you buy an ounce for 250, sell it for 300, 20% profit margin there.

buy an ounce for $20 and sell it for $24, you just made the same margin.

yeah you have to sell a lot more ounces to make those thousands, but then again, if it were legalized and treated like what it truly is, a plant, you and everyone else is gonna toke as much if not more.
you have no risk of going to jail for 5 years for having 20 plants in your back yard (I've got 20 heads of lettuce that require the same amount of time/effort to grow, just not as much when it comes time to trim) You think a $50 head of lettuce is expensive? When it costs pennies to produce you will not have multi hundred % profit margins.

so I mean its great to get paid to do minimal work, but wake up, if you feel like you should get paid 4k a lb to slang the finest organic heads of lettuce, you are in a dream world where cost/risk/involvement aren't the factors you use to base your pricing, which is what every dealer does right now, if you dont have risks, theres still money to make because you have a product with VALUE, yeah you cant charge for the "risk" aspect (the only reason herb costs what it does) but thats because there is a massively reduced risk!

You wanna sell more than johnny pot dealer on the other corner, do what all legal businesses do, compete.

Theres still money to be made even if its legalized, but will it be like you are literally growing thousands of dollars from a garden the size of a closet? no, sorry, living a productive and successful life SHOULD be more than making two phone calls. Anyone against legalization just for the fact of it dropping the price means to me that its just the money to them, why be productive for 8 hrs a day when you can do 30 mins worth of work and fuck off the rest of the time?

sorry life aint so easy when you cant charge 500% interest.

Lets let the talented MoFo's have a chance to shine! Indeed!

C

Chong_Irie

Yeah totally, let's not even fucking TRY and put up a fight, right? Sorry mate but your POV isn't exactly what we need in order to move forward...

you are assuming that this is the best way to fight this.... I'm fighting this from my backyard :tree: :tree:

Hazelnuts

you are assuming that this is the best way to fight this.... I'm fighting this from my backyard :tree: :tree:

Well I think so are most people here, and until we can get broad acceptance of cannabis use that strategy isn't gonna work. IMO, those propositions are partly evidence of that growing acceptance, so actually (if I'm correct about your intentions) they're what you've been fighting for, even if they're not optimal yet. But we're gonna have to make our voices count, not just sit at home growing a shit ton of pot that nobody ever sees or hears about, we have to get the word out

_Dude

People who think that home growers will still make money if it's legalized are dumb as dirt.

The choices are, Lorillard and Phillip Morris taking over the business, or keeping it illegal.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. So basically, closet growers want it legal, and commercial growers don't.

C

Chong_Irie

Well I think so are most people here, and until we can get broad acceptance of cannabis use that strategy isn't gonna work. IMO, those propositions are partly evidence of that growing acceptance, so actually (if I'm correct about your intentions) they're what you've been fighting for, even if they're not optimal yet. But we're gonna have to make our voices count, not just sit at home growing a shit ton of pot that nobody ever sees or hears about, we have to get the word out

The day I see somebody in a position of power in the government come out and say "I smoked weed AND I still do!" , then MAYBE I will say that we have made OUR voice heard. None of that "oh when I was younger i tried it but i didnt inhale lol or pull an Obama...

DUDE: Good points!! But Im a closet/backyard grower and I dont want it LEGAL...because of the reasons I stated earlier in this thread

Last edited:

Hazelnuts

People who think that home growers will still make money if it's legalized are dumb as dirt.

The choices are, Lorillard and Phillip Morris taking over the business, or keeping it illegal.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. So basically, closet growers want it legal, and commercial growers don't.

What the shit, no one demanded that home growers ever make money... The real home grower's interest is to get cheap weed out of their grow which they surely get and still will get once it's legalized.

Chong_Irie said:
The day I see somebody in a position of power in the government come out and say "I smoked weed AND I still do!" , then MAYBE I will say that we have made OUR voice heard. None of that "oh when I was younger i tried it but i didnt inhale lol or pull an Obama...
But Im a closet/backyard grower and I dont want it LEGAL...because of the reasons I stated earlier in this thread

So getting our voice heard means that the government needs to smoke weed? Not really IMO, all it takes is a fair legalization bill to be brought on the table in congress that actually gets some support. You're right that more celebrity/politician etc smokers should out themselves as smokers though, the hypocrisy makes me cringe.
And if you don't want it legal, you're plain weird. If this proposition passed, you could still (illegally) grow your weed in your closet/backyard and not give a fuck about the rest of the state. I also believe that the notion that the weed business will go into the hands of the big corporations is a conspiracy theory and nothing more, there are still small businesses/deli stores/microbreweries etc that survive and make a decent living, why wouldn't that apply to the weed business? There are no restrictions on who can open a business in the bills currently going around, you just need the appropriate quality control measures and that's the case with pretty much everything from food to beer and wine, but that doesn't keep smaller businesses from surviving.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran

Got any basis for the paranoid fantasy above?

Frankly, it amuses me when people say this, as if Philip Morris was ever more than a manufacturer. Lots of people make a great living providing tobacco to them to roll up and sell. BTW I wonder if you know how many cigarette companies there are in the US today.

C

Chong_Irie

What the shit, no one demanded that home growers ever make money... The real home grower's interest is to get cheap weed out of their grow which they surely get and still will get once it's legalized.

So getting our voice heard means that the government needs to smoke weed? Not really IMO, all it takes is a fair legalization bill to be brought on the table in congress that actually gets some support. You're right that more celebrity/politician etc smokers should out themselves as smokers though, the hypocrisy makes me cringe.
And if you don't want it legal, you're plain weird. If this proposition passed, you could still (illegally) grow your weed in your closet/backyard and not give a fuck about the rest of the state. I also believe that the notion that the weed business will go into the hands of the big corporations is a conspiracy theory and nothing more, there are still small businesses/deli stores/microbreweries etc that survive and make a decent living, why wouldn't that apply to the weed business? There are no restrictions on who can open a business in the bills currently going around, you just need the appropriate quality control measures and that's the case with pretty much everything from food to beer and wine, but that doesn't keep smaller businesses from surviving.

Lets just say that we have different POV's. I'll leave with this
“History Does Not Repeat Itself, But. It Sure Does Rhyme”-Mark Twain

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
The way i see it, if you havent made your money by now, your in the wrong buisness. Legalize it.There's still going to be heroin and cocaine for you greedy fucks, but the rest of us will transition well.Legalize it,tax it, be done with.

K

Kola Radical

Al Capone was against the end of alcohol prohibition. Who wouldn't be if they were making that kinda bread?

But in the end, there are more important issues at stake than personal profits. Like personal freedom and the right to put whatever you want into your own friggin' body.

The gubment can't save us from ourselves and they have no business even trying.

BTW... there is still a war going on in Mexico over our drug consumption:
PBS News Video

Helis

Yeah, Chong_Irie I can't say I really understand the base of your thinking.
As I've observed over the past couple years, only MORE people are growing, and the legalization discussion by many local gov'ts has included tax-free growing at home. I think there are a lot of people who would be wary if it wasn't.
Frankly the growers who do so to supply "illegal" commercial operations should have no problem going legal at that point. Yes it will mean taxing but no more need for legal worries... Maybe that's not on some people's minds.
I think medical growers should be allowed special provisions in states where there is MMJ and they are considering legalizing. But I am not in CA and don't know the specifics of that trade so I can't say much more than my :2cents: on that.

C

Chong_Irie

Helis: If you want to see what "medical marijuana" is, go to weedtracker and look up Ca. Then look at the advertisements and comments/questions on the boards. A lot of it is BS.

J

JackTheGrower

Well Global Cannabis that's a multi-flavor stew indeed!
It's different from the Streets of Tulare county to the Streets of San Francisco and from California to Colorado. It's like an invasion in that people are fighting change.

Maybe there is a common structure in the mechanics of change that apply all over?

I haven't had the pleasure of being in the UK in many many years so how does Amsterdam contrast with that side of the pond? I'm Stateside obviously.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
If Dispensaries have taught us anything, it is that ppl are more than willing to pay the current prices for bud--
There are a lot here saying that it is to high of a price to pay, they wouldn't pay it...etc...
But Dispensaries are killing it-- There is no shortage of Patients...and this is in the Medical Only context--
When it is Legal, there will be stores that sell it...and I don't see any reason to think that they are going to lower a price that it is proven they can ask for, and get--
It would not make sense--
Granted, there would be cheap bud, expensive bud...like anything else, if you can't afford the Patron, buy the Jose!!

Z

Zeinth

?

?

Helis: If you want to see what "medical marijuana" is, go to weedtracker and look up Ca. Then look at the advertisements and comments/questions on the boards. A lot of it is BS.

I am on tracker..and it does get thick at times..

to have your own thread there..750 every 6 months.

flashing banner..well thats more.

coops left in l.a. when the l.a. city votes next month?

70?..186? i dont know.

friends that dont what legal cannabis that i know....2 vers 20.

are they the friends with A grow..yes. ONLY 2..18 GET from coops

so...LETS VOTE FOR THE STATE TO GROW OUR MEDICINE.

B

Blue Dot

My buddy brought up a point the other night that if we get the chance here in CA to legalize Marijuana, he will register just to vote NO. I ask why and he explains he won't be able to make enough money anymore.....

'Um, doesn't your idiot friend also realize that the illegality of MJ that allows him to make more money could also be the illegality that lands HIS ASS in prison if caught?

Clearly your friend has not thought things thru.

Latest posts

Latest posts