What's new

Freezing Cannabis?

D

DHF

I can tell yas straight up from almost 30 yrs of storin dope for future useage Supermanlives regardless of your side by sides.......that...

IF yas don`t freeze it once dried and cured properly , you`re only foolin yourself on the side by sides cuz # 1 the first thing that happens in ambient higher temps with air available in said containers is to allow the nugs to oxidize and "degrade" regardless of limited light from under your bed , and then.....guaranteed...

In the containers over time the pot will turn color and get brownish after several months as well as lose potency hand over fist , but maybe you liked what your dope turned into later than how it was like when it was new before yas put it under your bed....but...regardless...IME.....

Freeze yer dope boys once it`s perfect for consumption....Bet on it.......

Not an ounce of bullshit over here.....just pure been there , done that , and hereta help........Not argue....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
my friend's mom grows amazing strawberry cough and ak plants. really gorgeous undiluted old school shit.

then she chops them and throws them in the freezer too early---turns the whole crop to schwagg every year. it breaks my heart.

i'm generally against freezing unless it's material headed for your hash extractor.

the best way to store herbs IMO to maintain their potency and fragrance is to properly cure them, put them in an airtight jar, then stash them in a dark, dry, and cool (between 55--65*F) place.

same goes for culinary herbs and coffee too.

you can store herb for years this way. most herb will just keep getting better when stored this way for months and months!

Rabbi

I can tell yas straight up from almost 30 yrs of storin dope for future useage Supermanlives regardless of your side by sides.......that...

IF yas don`t freeze it once dried and cured properly , you`re only foolin yourself on the side by sides cuz # 1 the first thing that happens in ambient higher temps with air available in said containers is to allow the nugs to oxidize and "degrade" regardless of limited light from under your bed , and then.....guaranteed...

In the containers over time the pot will turn color and get brownish after several months as well as lose potency hand over fist , but maybe you liked what your dope turned into later than how it was like when it was new before yas put it under your bed....but...regardless...IME.....

Not an ounce of bullshit over here.....just pure been there , done that , and hereta help........Not argue....

What if its vaccum sealed and stored(non-freezer)?

D

DHF

Hey Heady...Almost guaranteed that if the dope turned to schwag in the freezer it wasn`t given a proper dry and cure with too much water left in the nugs that freezing would cause all the cells to burst as well as chlorophyll left in from not completely finishing the dry and cure process would cause the nugs ta have that hay smell and taste....so....

That said...Freezin fresh frozen trim for the hash extractor is the right thing to do since trichomes are easily removed in water hash from frozen into an ice bath , but...

Keepin jars or vac sealed bags in "Cellar" type areas with ambient temps and dark works well for several months without degradation , but please just do this...

Take a completely dried , cured jar or vac sealed bag and put it in the freezer while puttin the other 1 under your bed and forget about both of em for a yr....then....

Come back and tell the truth about both specimens...guaranteed the jar/bag with ambient temps will have changed color as well as morphed into a completely different flavor and head profile from the degradation of THC and changin into more dominant CBD profiles with nowhere near the stone time from smokin and comin down IME but maybe that`s what some folks would like more ?.......anyways...

Light , Heat , and Air are pot`s ONLY enemies once they`re completely dried and cured properly to a lil over 60% RH before puttin in jars/"burpable" bags to complete the curing process before freezing....and for the record...

Never put pot in vac sealed bags till they HAVE been properly dried and cured or else the possibility of that hay/chlorophyll smell taste will always be present along with the possibility of mold attacking EVERYTHING if left in ambient temps....but...

Once the proper process has been gone through , what yas pull out the freezer 10 yrs from now will be the same product as yas put in 10 yrs before....bet on it.......

Just tryin ta help ....DHF....:ying:...

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Hey Heady...Almost guaranteed that if the dope turned to schwag in the freezer it wasn`t given a proper dry and cure with too much water left in the nugs that freezing would cause all the cells to burst as well as chlorophyll left in from not completely finishing the dry and cure process would cause the nugs ta have that hay smell and taste....so....

That said...Freezin fresh frozen trim for the hash extractor is the right thing to do since trichomes are easily removed in water hash from frozen into an ice bath , but...

Keepin jars or vac sealed bags in "Cellar" type areas with ambient temps and dark works well for several months without degradation , but please just do this...

Take a completely dried , cured jar or vac sealed bag and put it in the freezer while puttin the other 1 under your bed and forget about both of em for a yr....then....

Come back and tell the truth about both specimens...guaranteed the jar/bag with ambient temps will have changed color as well as morphed into a completely different flavor and head profile from the degradation of THC and changin into more dominant CBD profiles with nowhere near the stone time from smokin and comin down IME but maybe that`s what some folks would like more ?.......anyways...

Light , Heat , and Air are pot`s ONLY enemies once they`re completely dried and cured properly to a lil over 60% RH before puttin in jars/"burpable" bags to complete the curing process before freezing....and for the record...

Never put pot in vac sealed bags till they HAVE been properly dried and cured or else the possibility of that hay/chlorophyll smell taste will always be present....but...

Once that process has been gone through , what yas pull out the freezer 10 yrs from now will be the same product as yas put in 10 yrs before....bet on it.......

Just tryin ta help ....DHF....:ying:...

hey fred,

yer definitely right about the schwaggificiation of my friend's mom's weed; she doesn't allow it to cure properly before freezing.

i guess i've never held onto anything for over 18 months, but in my experience the weed is better after that time. most of this experience comes from my days playin the hustle game, so often i could improve the product by curing it after i got my hands on it.

now that i'm legally growing my own, i will give your experiment a shot, one jar in the cupboard and one jar in the freezer.

my hesitation with the freezer is mostly that i imagine the product will be drier than i like when i finally take it out and thaw it.

i did freeze fresh trim last summer and that made great bubble....:blowbubbles:

THC123

Veteran
my hesitation with the freezer is mostly that i imagine the product will be drier than i like when i finally take it out and thaw it.

no man just pack it airtight

when the stem snaps and it is at a peak lever just freeze it

i think in jars over long term the weed changes

i love weed that has cured a few weeks to 6 months max

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran

Yay! i get to be useful!

If your bud is dryer than you you prefer when you take it out, cut a fresh fan leaf off of one of your moms and put it in a mason jar with the "too dry" buds.

orange peels or even a piece of white bread would also work, but using the fan leaf will keep from changing the scent/flavor profile.

I typically leave enough room in the jar so that the fan leaf can hang from the inside of the lid and not actually touch the buds.

Do that before bed and wake up with nugs that are no longer going to crumble to dust when you smoke them.

Discard fan leaf when your buds are at the desired humidity level.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Yay! i get to be useful!

If your bud is dryer than you you prefer when you take it out, cut a fresh fan leaf off of one of your moms and put it in a mason jar with the "too dry" buds.

orange peels or even a piece of white bread would also work, but using the fan leaf will keep from changing the scent/flavor profile.

I typically leave enough room in the jar so that the fan leaf can hang from the inside of the lid and not actually touch the buds.

Do that before bed and wake up with nugs that are no longer going to crumble to dust when you smoke them.

Discard fan leaf when your buds are at the desired humidity level.

ya i know that trick. good idea to use a fan leaf.

that does not really achieve the same quality that i am looking for in perfectly cured nugs tho.

i want to bring the herb down slowly into the optimum cure moisture level, then keep them there forever.

maybe once i'm regularly achieving a perfect cure with all my nugs then i'll experiment with the freezer. i have a feeling that if they are perfect going in, and packaged correctly, they might be perfect coming out too. there's just a big margin for error in curing and packaging. vacuum sealed glass jars seems like they would be ideal for this.

if you're familiar with simon's perfect cure thread, i aim to hang the plants until they dip under 75% r/h, then brown bag them until they dip under 69% r/h, then jar them and burp until they dip under 65% r/h. i'm pretty sure if i could keep them between 61--63% r/h in sealed jars, i'd end up with what i consider a perfect cure after a few weeks and continuing to improve for many months.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
if you're familiar with simon's perfect cure thread, i aim to hang the plants until they dip under 75% r/h, then brown bag them until they dip under 69% r/h, then jar them and burp until they dip under 65% r/h. i'm pretty sure if i could keep them between 61--63% r/h in sealed jars, i'd end up with what i consider a perfect cure after a few weeks and continuing to improve for many months.

Yeah. That's what I do too. I would never say that the 'rehydrating' trick is a substitute for a good cure.

But it beats smoking "too dry" buds.

THC123

Veteran
i have frozen "perfect cure" buds at 62% after 4 months cure and when i take em out of the freezer they are wonderfull, burn well and taste smooth

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
good news! thanks guys!

i've been converted.

perfect cure, then freeze. makes sense.

any tips for dealing with condensation when you thaw them?

D

DHF

Never saw that thread Heady , but it`s been common knowledge at the invite only sites for over a decade that as THC just stated 62% is the PERFECT % for storin properly dried and cured dope....

We found out waaaay back when by accident as 1 of the members had been toying with humidors since he owns 1 of the very first specialty Ceegar emporiums as he call`s it on the left coast.....anyways....

RE hydrating pot that`s gotten too dry only makes it manageable without crumbling , but won`t bring back all the goody that was lost by allowin it to go too far RH wise....and....

As far as dealin with condensation on the insides of glass jars once brought from freezer to ambient temps is simple Bro......If for market , immediately take it out of the jar/s and directly into a vacuum sealed bag/s , or if for personal just take as many nugs out as fast as possible and put jar back in freezer.....

Guaranteed heat and light degradation as well as oxidation are the prime enemies of the Chronic so keep their ass in the dark and in suspended animation at the proper humidity level and cure with freezing =.....Win Win....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

Last edited:

2000pm

Great thread. I'm going to stick some into jars and freeze as soon as they hit 62% for vaping purposes. I'm finding I might even like it better than cured and definitely want to preserve that fresh taste.

supermanlives

Veteran

i was talking about freshly dried weed. for me jarring it and letting it sit under my bed gives better results than weed frozen at the same time. your intitled to your opinion and i have mine. have a nice day. and i am probably about the same age as you and grown as much if not more. but that aint waht this thread is about.

Consider a food saver device with bag roll for four oz bags and up. Otherwise a ball jar sealer like this one works excellent.

It keeps a vacuum indefinitely and one can open and reseal it again and again. Keep it dark, cool, and sealed.

PPp :tiphat:

D

DHF

i was talking about freshly dried weed. for me jarring it and letting it sit under my bed gives better results than weed frozen at the same time. your intitled to your opinion and i have mine. have a nice day. and i am probably about the same age as you and grown as much if not more. but that aint waht this thread is about.
I meant no disrespect SML , but what this thread IS about is fact not fiction , and certainly not "my opinion"........so...

Guaranteed you`re fooling yourself with freshly dried weed under your bed outperforming properly dried and cured dope that get`s stored in the freezer "indefinitely" for yrs to come cuz there`s no way your ambient temp jars under your bed can compete.....and....

I`m so sure your jars got smoked up instead of "stored" before any hint of longtime degradation even began , so I guess we`re not comparing apples to apples now are we....so....bottom line....

With properly dried and cured dope as long as it takes ta burp and get all the chlorophyll and moisture outta the nugs till it get`s to 62% , then...

If yas got market dope , keep it in the freezer till ready to sell , and if it`s just personal and yas got more than yas can smoke all at once , freeze that shit.......period....and SML....

If you been growin as long as I have , you oughta know this shit....It`s certainly common knowledge among old heads.......

Latest posts

Latest posts