What's new

freaking gants!

mg75

if you do the organic preventative measures mentioned above, you may never see them. if they are out of control and u see a ton just by running your fingers through the top of the soil, chemical pesticides may be the only option.
pest management should be a part of your regular feeding/watering program. incorporate it in your schedule or suffer later on.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I have found that the only time I have gnats is when i use a commercial soil. When I make my own mix there's no bug. When I have had gnats I use two things a vacuum cleaner suck the little mothers right out of the air, and two lightly spray the soil surface and around the edge of the soil where it touches the inside of the pot, with Bayer home pest spray. Don't spray the foliage just LIGHTLY spray the surface of the soil. Using a vacuum and the spray, gnats are gone.

fishwater

Mosquito dunks.. crush them up, ad a few tablespoons to every pot of soil when you are mixing your dirt.
Also, Neem oil works well on the edges of pots, at the bottoms near drain holes...

Works everytime for me.

J

J.C.grower

the DE worked perfectly! no fucking annoying gnats everywhere, i get an occasional 2 or 3 flying around but i smack the shit out of those. ahha thanks so much for the great inputs! stay fligh!:joint:
JC

I'm not sure whats on my plants, but I think their gants. I go in my outdoor garden daily, nun yesterday, today bugs all over. they r about a 1/4 inch long n fly they look like a little wasps or flying ants we had a heavey rain last night about 3", maybe that made them come out, any one have a idea what they are?:1help:

RB56

Veteran
what do you do about the gnats that live
in the drainage holes short of a root drench?
I have no more prob with the top but when watered they will come out of the drain holes on the grow bags, I keep bug spray handy but its just a control, not a cure
I cut squares of fiberglass window screen material and put them in the bottoms of my pots before I add soil. Keeps the soil in the pot and critters out. Wash them when I empty the pots and reuse many many times.

I use Gnatrol when I get an infestation and Mosquito Bits - same manufacturer as Dunks - but easier to use with soil.

Crab meal. It will attract bacteria that love to eat chitin. The gnat larvae have chitin jaws. The bacteria eat their jaws. No more gnats.