What's new

FrankenPot-Marijuana Gone GMO

Treetops

Can this be the shape of things too come? How sad...
Peace,
Treetops

http://farmwars.info/?p=6322

Marijuana Growers: Hang onto your pot, here come the genetically modified genes!

It is painfully obvious that mad scientists have gone wild and are in charge of our health and food supply. And now, they want to grab hold of Mary Jane, Weed, Cannabis, Pot, Marijuana, or whatever else you want to call it.

Yeah, we know it has medicinal properties, and so do they. That is one of the reasons it has remained illegal for so long. Someone growing a plant in their backyard and foregoing over-the-counter pain medication, or making a tincture that helps fight cancer just might cut into Big Pharma profits, and we can’t have that. At least not until it can be strictly controlled by the very drug companies that specialize in delivering, for a hefty price, a barrage of drugs designed to, at the very least, incapacitate, and not actually cure anything.

So, here it is. The start of something big. Marijuana gone GMO:
Greenhouses lined with genetically modified marijuana sit on a mountainside just an hour ride from Cali, Colombia, where farmers say the enhanced plants are more powerful and profitable.

One greenhouse owner said she can sell the modified marijuana for 100,000 pesos ($54) per kilo (2.2 pounds), which is nearly 10 times more than the price she can get for ordinary marijuana.

Local authorities said the arrival of genetically modified seeds, which are imported from Europe and the United States have allowed “a bigger production and better quality at the same time”.

A police commander in the Cauca region where Cali is located, Carlos Rodriguez, said one of the modified varieties goes by the name, “Creepy”.

Another seed modified in The Netherlands is fetching a good price in the area, said a foreign researcher, who asked to remain anonymous. That version, well-known in Europe as “La Cominera”, is named for the Colombian village where it grows.

“La Cominera’s” higher value is due to its increased concentration of THC, the plant’s principal active ingredient, and the modified plant verges on an 18 percent concentration level, compared to a normal marijuana plant’s two to seven percent, said the researcher. (Yahoo News)

Coincidence that this is going on just as Big Pharma is busy patenting a Marijuana pill? Notice that the genetically modified seeds are imported from Europe, the Netherlands and the United States.

Despite the US government’s staunch opposition to medical cannabis farms in Oakland and elsewhere, the feds have begun licensing a whole lot of large legal pot grows throughout the country. But this weed is not for cannabis dispensaries and their patients; it’s for Big Pharma.

The Drug Enforcement Administration told Legalization Nation in an e-mail last week that 55 unnamed companies now hold licenses to grow cannabis in the United States, a fact that contradicts the widespread belief that there is only one legal pot farm in America, operated under the DEA for research purposes. It appears as if the upswing in federally approved pot farming is about feeding the need of pharmaceutical companies who want to produce a generic version of THC pill Marinol and at least one other cannabis-based pill for a wide variety of new uses. (Cannabis Culture)

Let’s see if I have this straight. Marijuana, natural, grown in your backyard: BAD! Marijuana farms, licensed by the feds and operated by the DEA for Big Pharma, and most likely genetically modified in a laboratory: GOOD! Hey, bubee, don’t you understand that this is bad??? So, off to jail you go for growing a healthy plant in your yard, but if you splice genes in a lab and grow a GM plant, changing that plant from something healthy to something designed to kill, patent it, and hand it over to the drug companies to push, then all the riches of the planet are yours, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood U.S. government.

© 2011 Barbara H. Peterson

If you have any doubts about the medicinal properties of natural Marijuana, watch this:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Seems like these just might be hybrids that the Colombian farm is growing.....
The first 2/3 of the article is about one thing, the last bit is about another, and they are just combined into one idea to make a good story.

maybe not, but that's how I'm seeing it.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
It's all about the money. Never be legal for Joe Blow to grow, just the motherfuckers that can screw every one for a couple of buck$.

What we have to face in this country is that with money you can literally do what ever you want, if your one of the little people with no big money backing you, your screwed period.

They'll have to pry that doob out of my totally fried fingers.

Corporate assholes and the DEA is right in it with them, and then the CEO's will get a bazillion dollar bonus for discovering pot is medicine.

Go Fuckin Figure.

:smoweed:

Manitoid

18% is awesome, but it is not that impressive... they had to genetically modify weed to get 18%?

sucks to be them. I was thinking the whole time the lady in columbia was getting 10X the normal price because the normal weed is schwag.

nomaad

Veteran
funny article. Almost every factual assertion is totally misunderstood and misrepresented.

The best part is the strain called "Creepy." I lived in central America (yes, I know Colombia is in S.A.) and all "green bud is called "Kryppies", so named by the guys who were smuggling it in for the gringo market from places like Florida. When I was younger, green nug from Florida was commonly called "Krypto" or "Kryppies" in new York as well. Pronounced with the spanish accent, it sounds like "Creepy."

These are not GMO's... these are just regular hybrids the like of which are sold on ICMag... Gypsy Nirvana must be in cahoots with Monsanto and the DEA.****

7 months later... editing this to note that the last statement was pure sarcasm.

Last edited:

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
sounds like they finally discovered feminized seeds south of the border!! no more seeds in the brick pack...

i've heard tell that growers in mexico are hiring cali peeps to come down and help them grow the kill. that could be a major issue for cali outdoor peeps. could you imagine 500 dollar pounds of killer mexi outdoor.

nomaad

Veteran
Considering that a large percentage of the ganja grown in California is grown on public land by mexican nationals working for mexican organized crime syndicates it seems counter-intuitive to "hire cali peeps" to bring the knowledge down there.

Anything coming out of mexico is going to be bricked for smuggling... it will never compete with pristine california grown nug. The market is already flooded with $1K/lb mexi grown garbage and $500/lb brick.

ProfGerbik

well according to several posts, there is nothing stating its genetically modified even according to the article. they are doing nothing more than crossing strains which has been done for ages now.

"It is the same crossed strains being sold here in the US. There is no evidence that the seeds being used are a genetically modified strain. No where in the article do they point that out. All that is pointed out is the name of the two strains in question and no proof of a GMO start."

"This article is pure nonsense, there is no such thing as GM cannabis. The idea that cannabis growers are able to manipulate seeds in the fine detail required to implant specific gene sequences to produce a plant with higher amounts of THC is totally ridiculous.

It might be theoretically possible but the costs involved to produce such a plant would be astronomical and what would be the point when the same thing can and has been easily achieved by cross breeding."

i kinda agree. by common sense standards you could in no way make a good profit investing time to genetically modify cannabis, i was shocked at how they sell 2.2 pounds for only 54$, if thats true it would cost probably way more than that to modify DNA.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”

Fuck all of them, they'll never win in the end.

mr.brunch

Veteran
the reason they want to gm it is because this allows you to slap a patent on the varieties - then it will be made legal to grow these specified plants for med use. thats how they monopolise the industry.

bobblehead

Veteran
the reason they want to gm it is because this allows you to slap a patent on the varieties - then it will be made legal to grow these specified plants for med use. thats how they monopolise the industry.

there is NOTHING mentioned about gmo's... They're saying that the illicit Colombian growers are buying seed stock from the same sources as the rest of us instead of growing bag seed. Personally, I want the oaxacan, punto rojo, Acapulco gold etc etc that some farmers in south America have grown and bred over many generations... B/c they are what today's polyhybrids are based on.

get an education.... Conjecture on stoner forums is often inaccurate...

Bullfrog44

Veteran
bobblehead - are you trying to say if they could GMO cannabis they wouldn't? They would, and then patent it, just like Mr. Bunch said. If you think this is crazy you need to pull your head out. I know the article it self didn't say this, but it is for sure happening. Look up Monsanto.

bobblehead

Veteran
*sigh* even if someone is gm-ing cannabis, so what? Seriously? Most people don't know how gmo's are made. I do, and it doesn't bother me. It's a faster way to get the desired phenotypes than breeding. All they do is throw plant dna into a test tube with some ligase, transcriptase, and a few other enzymes that insert the desired genetic code into the existing dna. All organisms have the same dna, however we have different genes activated. You have the same dna as an ant! Consuming a gmo is harmless. It's the fear of the unkown that makes gmo's taboo.

I can't stick my head out anywhere, it's stuck in biology books...