What's new

Foxtailing, whats your take on it

F

Fluffy Clouds

i dont think commercially so i think its beautiful:biggrin:

also if you want to run some buds through screen.. opened structure of flower with some foxtailing is ideal..

bm
picture.php

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
i dont think commercially so i think its beautiful:biggrin:

also if you want to run some buds through screen.. opened structure of flower with some foxtailing is ideal..

It's also much easier to clean an roll into a joint, just like in the good old days before Indica's took over and the bud grinder was invented!:joint:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
spiral foxy

green tangerine - green crack x tangerine tar

tangerine tar is tangerine haze x pine tar kush

shout out to breeder higheagle-420

picture.php

Last edited:

Cannastyle

spiral foxy

green tangerine - green crack x tangerine tar

tangerine tar is tangerine haze x pine tar kush

shout out to higheagle-420

View Image

That sounds like a fine mix! Is that made by you DB?

On the foxtailing....I don't mind when Sour D or something foxtails due to the genetics....but foxtails on a plant that doesn't carry that trait....not for me....

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
^greentang is higheagle420s work^

Yeah, I actually like some foxtailing. Catpiss foxtailed in high temps but was still very dense.

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so do i. i have a Blueberry cut and the foxtailing is genetic. ive run it very lean and it still foxtails, just with smaller buds.

picture.php

VG

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
heat stress.
not always bad...
you can learn a thing or two about your grow, it's not always genetics.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Canopy Temps are too high .... Too many PGR's...

Foxtailing is a sign of your grow not running fully optimal

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive been told that before and ran it with virtually no nutes in winter. it still foxtailed
, ive run it many times at different temps, nutrition and even outdoors. always foxtails. sometimes a bit less than that though.
im organic so dont use pgr's

but yes there is always more to learn

VG

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Some have genetic predisposition. Others, high temps or too high nute ppms can cause foxtailing. For example, I have a Bloody Mary cut. Keep the ppms below 1000 and you get nice christmas tree shaped buds. Go too much over that and she foxtails like a bitch. So yeah, get to know your grow.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Canopy Temps are too high .... Too many PGR's...

Foxtailing is a sign of your grow not running fully optimal

Yea dude, besides pure sativa's ( which i don't include, because I like sativas that do this), when I see a fox tail or two on my indica leaning girls, i know somethings off. And my only conclusion is bud boosters.
Cause I have side by sides this last round with two diff bud boosters, the left side has random foxtails which Moab was used. And my right side, been using what I always have, gro-tek and shits normal.

But thats no biggie. Interesting, each persons take on the Kitsune tails.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Some have genetic predisposition. Others, high temps or too high nute ppms can cause foxtailing. For example, I have a Bloody Mary cut. Keep the ppms below 1000 and you get nice christmas tree shaped buds. Go too much over that and she foxtails like a bitch. So yeah, get to know your grow.

Thats it for me, right there. My ppms are the same on each side. Suppose with this moab shit i need to lower it.

To take this slightly off topic.

Few cycles ago, I had RA's. The two plants that were infested, their sign that told me something was wrong was extreme fox tailing. No other girls in the room showed this display. Was freaky looking.

Anyways, good discussion dudes

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
For "Personal Stash" it's cool with me, if the Foxtailing is genetic and not due to stress.

And who could complain when the Foxes are Purple, as above..!? haha....

But., seriously, for others, I am under no illusions. People HATE to see "Castling" from a market standpoint.. So, I cut them off, and include it in the sack. I am running Casey Jones now, and that does "Castle" quite a lot. Once I am done with the OD plants, no more CJ.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes there are some strains that have the foxtail trait , but personally if i see them on my plants ... i know somethings wrong with my environment . or i'm pushing the boosters too much ... which i've learned to back off from & i get alot less tails now .

Blaz3

Hmm...tricky topic..I can def see the pros and cons of foxtailing...really depends on the actual consumer..i can see how a commercial grower CAN HATE foxtailing..

and i can see where a connosieur can either love it or be indifferent towards it..i personally dont like it...maybe its just for asthetic purposes..but to me nothing beats a nice dense fat cola..mmm

pros:

makes bud look more than it is,ex: since it is very fluffly..an eighth looks like a quarter..i dont like dense buds where an eighth is the size of one big bud..hell no i prefer many smaller buds..

makes the weed look exotic...many PURE sativas..especially landraces,have a tendency to foxtail HEAVILY...and who can say no to a PURE LANDRACE 20+week sativa lol..

cons:

makes the bud look "ugly" while flowering..and sometimes even when dried..looks like a bunch of cutup badly trimmed weed..obvisly depends on the consumer..it can look either nasty or exotic...

i would SPECULATE that the yield maybe suffers?....

i have read that its usually high heat or high salt levels that can cause foxtailing...HOWEVER..it is DEF in the genetics of some strains...mostly sativa doms..and pure sativas...jack herer is very notorious for foxtailing,even if it does produce massive yields...most old school pure thai's foxtail...iv seen some pretty crazy shit in the "ultimate sativa revival" thread...