What's new

FOXFARM: The Best Organic Mix for Beginners and Pros

Nomad

I've been growing for awhile now, and I have never had such green glowing plants and extremely healthy and fast growing plants like i do right now! Wish i can show you how healthy my flowering plants are, but like i said these plants are glowing neon green, lush, and the stalks are green and hairy and i have no sign of wilting, yellowing or anything else.

simple simple simple:

Seedling:
Plastic cup, slice edges with razorblade for holes, fill the cup with foxfarm oceanforest, plant the clone or seedling.

Veg: when they get about 2-3 inches put them in a larger plant container, mix half ocean forest and foxfarm lightwarrior and start transplanting.

Flower: Get a 10 gallon container to mix in, mix 1/3rd ocean forest, 1/3rd lightwarrior, 1/3 foxfarm earthworm and batguano (red bag). Mix it all together, get a large bucket or container (about 5 gallons) and drill 4 holes roughly an inch in diameter under the buckets, and start transplanting.

Thats it! Like I said i've been growing for several years, this is by far the best method to growing trouble-free and the plants are amazingly healthy.

Water Schedule:

seedlings:
Keep an eye on them every day, i usually measure the cups by weight, just lift the cup and if it feels feather light you need to water, when you water the cup should feel more dense and heavy BUT NOT TOO HEAVY, dont let the cup get drenched in water so much that theres a puddle of water on the floor. If anything the dryer the better.

veg:
The container should be rectangle in shape and 5 inches wide and decently long, just use the same method, pick up the container, if they feel feather light then its time to water. Water evenly and make sure you get every corner and let it seep in till it's decently watered. usually you have to water every other day.

flower:
large buckets like 5 gallons need less water as they are bigger and can carry more water. Water decently, and use the same weight method. Pick them up and shake up and down, if you can easily do this and its dry and light its time to water, water real good until the bucket is heavy. The bucket should be heavy but not WAY too heavy. Stick your finger in the bottom holes and if there's some moisture then you watered correctly, if it feels drenched with water then you watered too much. Usually if you water correctly it takes 2-3 days for the plant to drink it all up, keep it consistant and always weigh and judge the plant before you water, SOME plants drink up the water in less than a day, if that's the case then water that one everyday and keep an eye on the rest.

Hope that makes sense!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
now try "Just Right Xtra"...

And then try making your own...just read the "organics for beginners" sticky in the organic soil forum.

You'll be even more amazed.

dank.Frank

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Thanks for the basic soil mixes! I'm getting ready to start a soil setup after years and years of not having grown, .. Needless to say, I'm a bit rusty.

As for the feeding, do you just feed with straight water, letting the plants munch on what's in the soil? Or do you also feed in addition to what's in the soil?

Thanks!

Nomad

Thanks for the basic soil mixes! I'm getting ready to start a soil setup after years and years of not having grown, .. Needless to say, I'm a bit rusty.

As for the feeding, do you just feed with straight water, letting the plants munch on what's in the soil? Or do you also feed in addition to what's in the soil?

Thanks!

Straight water, the soils i mentioned have all the nutrients a plant needs until the end of the cycle.

You can either use 100% oceanforest or lightwarrior when you plant seedlings or clones, but in veg i would do a half-and-half mix, and of course when you flower you need that batguano mix. If you are a beginner i highly recommend this method, it's literally dummy proof since you dont have to do anything other than use these 3 bags.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Done and done! I'll be plunking some clones right into flower - so I presume I'll just use the flowering mix you suggested, .. Towards the end of the flowering cycle, do I need to hit 'em with a blast of anything particular? Or just waterwaterwater for the entire period, letting 'em feed off of only what's in the soil?

My experience in the past has been with DWC. Over the years, it's become apparent to me that the best smoke is grown organically -- so, I figured I'll try my hand at this..

Thanks Nomad!

I think the idea is to use water only but you can take that in so many directions.The guano and earth worms will provide all thats needed.but you can tweek this recipe and have good success as well.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Good question. What do you do about flushing here, since you're feeding with just water throughout? Flush with 3x water a week or so prior to harvest?

BongRipkenJR.

I have to thoroughly disagree. I started out with fox farm and liked it, but it is lacking. Last time I used it, which was last year I got a horrible batch along with a lot of people I knew. A lot of us got root rot so I switched to Roots Organic. Now that is a mix! If growing in soil, i will never use anything else. It just works and is very consistent unlike Fox Farm ocean forest and the hot burning happy frog.

I

Iron_Lion

this is not a water only mix not by a long shot, that is all wishful thinking.
as the quality of Ocean forest has taken a nose dive in recent years.

this is like copy and paste rhetoric.

reddy1

ICMag Donor
so much bad info here. grow, tiger and bloom are not organic. fox farms is indeed shit these days and bud grown in it usually tastes like shit too. if you're getting it on the east coast it comes from their newer facility in s. carolina, not arcata where they've got the composting process down. it will also be in big box stores soon at prices grow shops can't compete with.

go with Roots Organics if you can find it. better yet, switch to coco.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I'm a former Fox Farms soil user. At best, their soils (at least here) are inconsistent. You can do much better on your own.

Pine

HueJass

so much bad info here. grow, tiger and bloom are not organic. fox farms is indeed shit these days and bud grown in it usually tastes like shit too. if you're getting it on the east coast it comes from their newer facility in s. carolina, not arcata where they've got the composting process down. it will also be in big box stores soon at prices grow shops can't compete with.

go with Roots Organics if you can find it. better yet, switch to coco.

Agreed. I am finishing out a couple of soil crops with all the FF crap I have left and then will be done for good. Too many deficiencies to deal with. I have trouble believing that it will keep your plants green through harvest with only water honestly. Unless they are extremely light feeders, then it may be possible.

Big box stores like HD/Lowes?

It is cheap to run, but you get what you pay for. I spend double or triple now on Canna for my coco set up, but at least we end on a green note and not yellow like the FF.

grapeman

Veteran
I see you like this soil. That's fine and dandy.

Your post is a bit misleading though.

I highly doubt any "Pros" here are not making and mixing their own soil/soil-less mixes.

I also doubt these "Pros" are using fox farms as a base in their mix.

Just a simple observation.

dustin27

Veteran
I agree too, I just got a bunch of Roots O again after running the FFOF for a while. I remember liking the RO way better, and im sure this coming round will confirm that.

Im curious to try other mediums though. Where can I find info about coco/coir or whatever, I dont even know if those are two different things or not. I believe I'm talking about these compressed bricks of something at the growshop.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Im curious to try other mediums though. Where can I find info about coco/coir or whatever, I dont even know if those are two different things or not.

Coco or coco coir (same thing) is made from coconut husk. It is similar in use and function to peat, but has a higher pH (peat being acidic) and doesn't shrink or crust when dry, making it easier to wet. It also has the desirable properties of holding a lot of water and a lot of air simultaneously. There is an entire forum here devoted to growing in coco. Additionally, there are some recipies for making your own organic coco-based mix at the link below

Organics for beginners - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

Pine