What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fox Farm Happy Frog - how much real NPK does it have and when to feed ?

Alright, I've tried researching before asking and it isn't very clear to me the actual nutrient content of the mix, when and how often to feed. Some say 1 week and others 2-3 weeks. I'm clearly seeing a N deficiency coming on, but I don't want to toxify the mix w what's already there. Is there enough N in the mix to correct a deficiency for about 2 week old seedlings or can I safety add 1/4 tsp Grow Big to a gall at the next watering to supplement ? The Ph is fine 6.83-6.85, so not that. I'd honestly rather wait until I get the Nectar Of The Gods which I'm replacing trio w, but I don't know if waiting is smart and I can get by w diluted foliar feeding until NOTG arrives next week then give a stronger root feeding w NTOG ? Any advice concerning nutrient content, concentration and how to rectify deficiency in the early stage is much appreciated

Last edited:
Well that just says it all...and I was thinking why the hell didn't I do PRO MIX. Yes I know it has balanced Ph. Only mix I could grow in w the hard water I had in a condo. Water is a bit softer where I'm at now, but it's the first time growing in it too

dekab247

OG,

I have used the same soil before, and had great results. To be fair it was a base, and amended. I've also done a 2nd years back with same soil, and will never use it again. I could, and have reason to say more negative. It just wasn't very good product second time around. I've since gone to building my own with what I can. Many use ProMix. If you live in the Us. Go to lowes, HomeDePOT, or a like store. near 4 cuft of peat, and some black kow compost, or mushroom compost etc. Depends where you live what brands may or may not be available. I use a few goodies, and follow the organic soil feeding in a thread started by burn1. Organics for beginners...Good luck with the grow...D

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Fox Farm's Happy Frog will do just fine. Fox Farms potting soil OF and HF's main ingredient is composted forest humus, which gives the soil mix a high pH,(7). Their model is to drop the pH with their nutrient line by adding fertilizer to the soil.. You can give your plants one ml of Grow Big per gallon of water without any problems and raise to 2 ml in a couple of weeks. The fertilizer will lower the pH and feed the plants. Your plants are going into veg stage and will need a little extra nitrogen and a lower pH. 😎

troutman

Seed Whore
If you're worried that premixed soil is too hot. Just mix it with basic soil with no nutrients in it.

It's what I do. ;)

Fox Farm's Happy Frog will do just fine. Fox Farms potting soil OF and HF's main ingredient is composted forest humus, which gives the soil mix a high pH,(7). Their model is to drop the pH with their nutrient line by adding fertilizer to the soil.. You can give your plants one ml of Grow Big per gallon of water without any problems and raise to 2 ml in a couple of weeks. The fertilizer will lower the pH and feed the plants. Your plants are going into veg stage and will need a little extra nitrogen and a lower pH. 😎

I think I understand what you're saying, and basically I just water WITH an acidic nutrient solution as you said and the lime added will bring the Ph into range without adjustments before adding it in. Also you're saying that using 1 tsp will boost the N already present without making it toxic for uptake, is this right ?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Not a tsp! To start, only use one ml per gallon, and as the plants get used to the new pH you can slowly increase the amount of fertilizer. If you have a starting pH of 7 in the container and you add water with fertilizer that's 5.8 you will balance out at about 6.4 in the container. You need an EC and a pH meter to monitor your substrate. If you use an EC or TDS meter you will know what's going in and leaving the container and can prevent over or under-feeding your plants. 😎

Not a tsp! To start, only use one ml per gallon, and as the plants get used to the new pH you can slowly increase the amount of fertilizer. If you have a starting pH of 7 in the container and you add water with fertilizer that's 5.8 you will balance out at about 6.4 in the container. You need an EC and a pH meter to monitor your substrate. If you use an EC or TDS meter you will know what's going in and leaving the container and can prevent over or under-feeding your plants. 😎

Yeah my measuring spoons are missing the 1/4 tsp, but I can do it by drops until I get the new ones I just ordered. That's what I thought, and the slurry test confirms it. (7.01) Yes I already have the Ph and truncheon considering I'll be part hydro for clone growing. My mothers are intended for containers. Anyway. I think you've helped to me to understand the trick here w using HF ;) Thanks, appreciate it. It sounds like it is good, just a little adjustment using it.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
EC meters are of the greatest use for checking intake water. People often underestimate the importance of using only the best water they can get when growing cannabis. The only sure way to know is by checking the electric conductivity of the water with meters. That goes for all growers. 😎

Three Berries

I have two plants going right now. One FF OF and the other HF. The OF takes a lot more nutes. I won't use it again. 10 weeks in veg and the OF is needing the book thrown at it while the HF is good with just the normal nute water.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Ten weeks in veg is a long to veg!!!! If you veg 10 weeks and flower 10 weeks that is too long time for a plant to be in a container. If you veg 5 weeks and flower 10, it is still a long time, but you would be halfway through flowering now. Those two potting soils OF & HF use two different growing models and can't be treated the same.😎

Three Berries

I just got done with two in flower. I'm in no hurry. I have a bit of work to do to the flower room. The Ocean Forest is a potassium hog.

Currently switching to flower nutes and 12 hr today in the tent.

Latest posts

Latest posts