What's new

Fox Farm Chunky Perlite

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
The stuff is really big, and has been around a while.
perlite_chunk.jpg

I just picked up a bag, im going to start cutting my coco with it.

Who uses it, who swears by it, and who thinks its just overpriced and the smaller stuff works just as well?
FoxFarmBigChunkyPerlite.jpg

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've used the big for a long time but also used the small stuff and notice no differnce.

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I swear by it, don't care about what it costs. It's worth it...I've had some really shitty perlite from different places and thought most other brands were a waste of money, all broke and powdery.

STRAINZ

I use it and I think it's great. U might want to rinse it before u use it....I've had a few packs with a lot of powder from the perlite. Don't know if that is a problem, but better off just rinsing it through!

I've used it in the past in the Moonshine mix. Worked well, I liked it. It worked better than the smaller perlite in that application.
I will be cutting my coco with coco croutons...

-
TB4U

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
I use it and love it so far (on my third grow with it now). But, I have yet to try anything else, so my opinion might not mean much.

I

Iron_Lion

I just picked up a bag, im going to start cutting my coco with

if you are going to cut it with coco you should just buy a bag of FF light warrior. LW is pretty much just coco, ewc, guano, micrrazae and perlite.

Nicoli

Veteran
I like the chunky, but I kinda break it down a little more than it is, if necessary, just a quick squeeze w/ my hand.. some of the chunks in there are humongous.

D

danimal7

I put a couple of bags of that in my compost pile 3 months ago ...I'll let you know at the end of 2010 how it did....I'm sure it'll be good

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
well i think ive read this chucky stuff is less likely to compact. i dont know how true that is, i just like the way it looks.

I went with a 2 parts coco 1 part chucky perlite. Hopefully, the perlite will help with the constant 'wet spot' under the roots.

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
I wish we could found some in Europe. Maybe some one knows where here?
I really want to give a try cause i guess small perlite dry faster. I think chunky ones are perfect for guerilla grows where its hard to water everyday.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
I might have to try this since everytime I use standard size perlite, by the time flowering time comes around I'm not sure if there is even any perlite left in my soil. When I water it tends to just bubble to the top of the container and then I have a layer of perlite sitting on the soil and I don't think there's much left in the actual soil mix. Where can someone pick up the chunky perlite at?

I found 4 cubic foot bags of this stuff for $35 from a local hydro place so i'm going to buy a bag and mix it at a 25-30% ratio to some Pro-Mix BX and i'll let you guys know what it's like after i try it out.

C

coconaut

Roots don't grow into the pieces of perlite. Large perlite has much more internal volume than an equal amount of small perlite. Or you can say, small perlite has a much greater surface area than large perlite, and since roots can only grow on the surface of the perlite, then the small perlite will allow more roots to grow.
Also it's cheaper and easier to get small perlite.

Hydrofarm also makes some "super coarse perlite" which is probably the same thing. Infact, the local hydro shop from me only carries the Foxfarm "Big and Chunky" perlite and the Hydrofarm "Super Coarse" Perlite according to their catalog.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I have not noticed a big wet (some call sour) spot under my rootball when transplanting since i started using this. I have been watering less, (to make roots stretch) but i think the mix is helping too.