What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Four Strains, First Time DWC Grow

EarlyHour

About one month in on these babies. My first time trying my hand at DWC and while living soil will always have my heart, this is an interesting project.

Running four strains, left to right “Maui Waui”, Crepes, and two Apple Fritter x (Unknown) crosses that I’ve been calling Cheese Fritter and Lavender Foot Burger after their smells!

Started them as cuts off of plants 2 weeks into flower, re-vegged the clones and off we go! The crepes is a very interesting plant, I haven’t touched it once. It just grows naturally flat and sideways. Gonna put them under my big light in the big tent when I chop that round in a few days and veg them for a few more weeks.

Attachments

• 9BEF637E-F478-4159-842D-E529144CF091.jpeg
    9BEF637E-F478-4159-842D-E529144CF091.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 77
  • 746D8E25-9E6E-4CFA-9E6E-D8551CC39DB4.jpeg
    746D8E25-9E6E-4CFA-9E6E-D8551CC39DB4.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 74

EarlyHour

Cleaned out the big tent today, and put the babies into their new home under my big light. Running Lucas Formula with MaxiBloom and a little bit of Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide. Just doing some LST by bending the branches down manually a couple times each day.
IMG_1474.jpeg

From bottom left going clockwise: Lilac Foot Burger, Cheese Fritter, Maui Waui, Crepes. All right after being bent over. Just lollipopped them lightly as well.

EarlyHour

More pictures from today! Gonna be converting this to a RDWC system in the next week. Currently fighting off pH swings and high water temps. The plants are hanging in though, maybe just a bit hungry.

Forgot to mention before, I’m running the Lucas formula with MaxiBloom, and 10mL of Southern Ag Garden Friendly Fungicide per 5gal.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpeg
    IMG_1567.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 50

EarlyHour

Where'd you get the Maui from?
Hey there Doc, (watching IASIP as we speak lol)
I got fem seeds from a buddy of mine who bought a bunch of packs online and didn’t use all of them! I’d have to ask where he bought them from, I keep meaning to and forgetting.

I put it in quotes just because I’m unsure of the ultimate source and I doubt that it’s anything that could be considered “real” Maui Waui, but that’s the name it came with lol. Here’s a pic of the plant this cut came from at harvest!
IMG_1454.jpeg

I’ll check with my buddy when I can and eventually post back!

EarlyHour

Okay I heard back and it is Nirvana’s! Through seedsman. The skunk part makes so much sense, this stuff really smells like roadkill. I know everyone and their mom says that but idk how else to describe it.

I’ve heard colloquially that the skunk smells may be linked to intersex traits, which I also find interesting. That plant hermed super hard on my last run. (Lots of stressors as I was upgrading and dialing in equipment) She’s also the much sensitive to over feeding in the DWC which I think would make some sense too.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Okay I heard back and it is Nirvana’s! Through seedsman. The skunk part makes so much sense, this stuff really smells like roadkill. I know everyone and their mom says that but idk how else to describe it.

I’ve heard colloquially that the skunk smells may be linked to intersex traits, which I also find interesting. That plant hermed super hard on my last run. (Lots of stressors as I was upgrading and dialing in equipment) She’s also the much sensitive to over feeding in the DWC which I think would make some sense too.

What're the effects like?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

So far I’ve only tried a couple test nugs while it cures! The high was surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly with the skunk) narcotic, a pretty heavy Stoney high! Definitely not as cerebral or spacey as one might think with the Hawaiian Sativa aspect. It’s quite nice though!
Good to hear. Will you keep it, or is it too early to tell?

EarlyHour

Good to hear. Will you keep it, or is it too early to tell?
I’m gonna keep it for now! My brother reported back an extremely stoney high. I like the bud structure and the skunky smell. So far it is liking the DWC the least though.

I’m actually gonna take cuts here soon of all 4. So far I am not super sold on the deep water culture. The fast growth is rad and I like the decreased water usage, but damn am I missing my living soil right now. Fighting lockout and pH swings, and high water temps.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

I’m gonna keep it for now! My brother reported back an extremely stoney high. I like the bud structure and the skunky smell. So far it is liking the DWC the least though.

I’m actually gonna take cuts here soon of all 4. So far I am not super sold on the deep water culture. The fast growth is rad and I like the decreased water usage, but damn am I missing my living soil right now. Fighting lockout and pH swings, and high water temps.
What led you to DWC? Just wanting to expand your cultivation experience/knowledge?

EarlyHour

What led you to DWC? Just wanting to expand your cultivation experience/knowledge?
Yep pretty much! I’ve messed around with some Kratky and DWC herbs and veggies and stuff, and I worked as a cultivator on hydro recreational farms (growing in coco though) so I’m slightly familiar with hydroponics.

I’m super into experimenting with things that could make cannabis more sustainable and so I like the potential for decreasing the overall water usage that DWC can offer. And I ultimately want to work my way towards an aquaponics setup, and I figured I best get my fundamentals covered when it comes to hydroponics before introducing aquaculture into the equation! And of course the yields are always alluring too.

I’m about to go buy some stuff to start the conversion to a RDWC, so hopefully that will help with some of the issues I’m having!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Yep pretty much! I’ve messed around with some Kratky and DWC herbs and veggies and stuff, and I worked as a cultivator on hydro recreational farms (growing in coco though) so I’m slightly familiar with hydroponics.

I’m super into experimenting with things that could make cannabis more sustainable and so I like the potential for decreasing the overall water usage that DWC can offer. And I ultimately want to work my way towards an aquaponics setup, and I figured I best get my fundamentals covered when it comes to hydroponics before introducing aquaculture into the equation! And of course the yields are always alluring too.

I’m about to go buy some stuff to start the conversion to a RDWC, so hopefully that will help with some of the issues I’m having!
In grad school, I had some classes in the same building as the horticultural department, and saw some aquaponics in action. Looked awesome. What makes you interested in aquaponics, besides getting to hang with fish?

EarlyHour

In grad school, I had some classes in the same building as the horticultural department, and saw some aquaponics in action. Looked awesome. What makes you interested in aquaponics, besides getting to hang with fish?
I’ve been involved with a lot of Mutual Aid groups revolving around community food security and autonomy, community kitchens and gardens, FNB and the like. So to me the idea of raising a decent protein source like tilapia via aquaculture while utilizing the waste to grow veggies (or dank buds:smoke:) is really attractive! Hanging with fish is just an awesome bonus lol

Latest posts

Latest posts