What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

found a wasps nest at the top of my garden

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Its not a hornets nest its a wasps nest, it even says it in the corner of the pic.

It's a photoshop label.

Il also add that what you (US) call yellow jackets are what we call wasps.
Peace

Yellow jackets are wasps. What they're called sometimes depends on where they are. That's why I referenced entomology.

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edComm/pdf/BUL/BUL0852.pdf

What a given geographical area calls their critters is cool with me.

It's just important to note that the enclosed-nest critter is more social, more easily enraged and more dangerous to us.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to charge £60 a nest,I once did 16 nests in 5 days

Used to do this with Rentokill some years ago , they were chargeing nearly a ton a nest from many clients and was a bit of a scam.

Ten nests in one carpark in thirty minutes was one memorable bonus earner and not uncommon in season.

They seem more numerous and agressive this year than usual , hedgecutting is a risky job this month , exhaust fumes send them into a frenzy and dont always see them till too late.

Last time i saw a hornet was twenty years ago , with my job i would find them so they must be in decline and good riddance.

Twas a hot august day and i was thirty feet up reduceing a conifer hedge from a cherry picker when i hit a huge hornet nest which landed at my feet.

It lay there humming and looking like one of the eggs from Alien as i bravely kicked it over the edge , it hit the ground and exploded and several hundred angry hornets went for the ground crew.

They pursued them two hundred yards as they ran off screaming like girls to the van and continued atacking for an hour , one lad had anaphalactic shock from thirty odd stings and spent the night in hospital , would have made a good clip.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
bro ive gotton stung once on the thumb and it was swollen to the point of pulsating like they do on the cartoons when they get smashed...

trick to remove the stinger is baking soda and water mix to paste sit on stinger let it dry... itll pull it out along with some venom..... then just pop some benedryl

your finger looks mild compared to what i go through when i get stung...

i dont get the dizzy feelin though

Latest posts

Latest posts