What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

For whole plant drying/hanging, what kind of scissors/shears do you use to get one clean cut at the base of the plant?

MajorGrindage

When harvest time comes, i am going to be hanging my plants whole upside down to dry.

One thing im missing though is a good pair of scissors/shears that are able to cut through the thick stem at the base of the plant.

Im curious if there is a pair of scissors/shears you guys would recommend for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for any help, it is incredibly appreciated!!

stiff

Veteran
First i take all big leafes out..by hand or normal fingernail scissors.
Then I'm using a big tub with different size holes in the side to get the buds of the stem in one big rip and after that everything goes in a tumble trimmer.
The tumble trimmers from "vevor" are much cheaper then the ones in the growshops...a good way to get one cheap!! That's the one I have:

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
There is no need to get fancy with shears that will only be used five or six times a year.

Almost any heavy duty shear pruner will be up to the job. I still have my cheapo amazon one from a few years back. They still work fine.

Good Luck with your harvest

goingrey

I use a small knife with a serrated blade and saw my way through. Kind of like a breadknife but the blade is only about 6" long.

Kimes

Best tool in my opinion for sturdy stalks is a pipecutter from hardware store.

these kinds

Bates-PVC-Pipe-Cutter-Cuts-up-to-1-5-Inch-Ratcheting-PVC-Pipe-Cutter-Tool-Pipe-Cutters-PVC-PVC-Pipe-Shears_7dd75435-91a9-47b3-8015-a6ccca3f5069.d0d5b6b6ffac6557d3312f68a6c8b690.jpeg

9.99$ from wall Mart

mme_oscar

Hi,
Shears is a mandatory garden tool IMO. If you don't need Japanese steel or fancy stuff, try to get a decent one. The cheapos get dull quite fast!
Pipecutters is a nice tool to have, especially if you build irrigation systems. They don't cut as clean as shears tho.

Ca++

I use a small knife with a serrated blade and saw my way through. Kind of like a breadknife but the blade is only about 6" long.
I have this, for the stuff a bit big for secateurs

I wouldn't buy cheaper, as the blade would just bend. Though it's not that expensive anyway.

I have some decent gardening kit, but find for this kind of growing, I need scissors, secateurs and the saw. Though if I had lots of 2" chops to do, I would use my ratchet action (fiskars) loppers.