What's new

For Those of You With Mini-Splits

D

dunkybones

That seems like A LOT of money. I paid $400 for a 24K BTU window unit

A BTU is a BTU regardless right? So is the only difference efficiency and the fact that the compressor can be remotely installed?

A btu is a btu, more or less, but not really. It depends on how much of those btu's go into actual cooling, and how many will get wasted running the machine, and how efficiently the machine converts electricity into cooling. The capabilities of my 12k portable is less than a similar sized window unit, which is less again than a similar sized split unit.

BUT, the units listed above are extra pricey because the lines are pre-charged with refigerant, and require no special tools or knowledge to install. Or an HVAC tech with said special tools and knowledge and liscensing, etc.

As for why in the world would anyone get voluntarily ripped off into buying a mini-split, I don't have a window anywhere near my grow space, moving the compressor outside frees up room in the grow space, and split units require no exhaust and so don't screw with grow room ventilation.

But if all your needs are met by a $400 window unit, consider yourself lucky, take the day off early and smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

G

Guest 18340

A btu is a btu, more or less, but not really. It depends on how much of those btu's go into actual cooling, and how many will get wasted running the machine, and how efficiently the machine converts electricity into cooling. The capabilities of my 12k portable is less than a similar sized window unit, which is less again than a similar sized split unit.

BUT, the units listed above are extra pricey because the lines are pre-charged with refigerant, and require no special tools or knowledge to install. Or an HVAC tech with said special tools and knowledge and liscensing, etc.

As for why in the world would anyone get voluntarily ripped off into buying a mini-split, I don't have a window anywhere near my grow space, moving the compressor outside frees up room in the grow space, and split units require no exhaust and so don't screw with grow room ventilation.

But if all your needs are met by a $400 window unit, consider yourself lucky, take the day off early and smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
I'd alike to add to this^^^^^^
Those units are expensive because they use an Inverter (Google can explain an Inverter better than I can). It's the inverter that makes them far more efficient than any window unit can be.

dtfsux

Thanks. I figured there was a reason for spending more, besides the fact people were growing money on trees !!!

I wonder how much more efficient they are. I wonder if there are any standardized tests.

B

bipotato

I actually dislike the DC inverter feature that seems to be the norm now with newer mini-split units. I feel that a correctly sized unit w/o an inverter is a better option. Especially for non-aircooled rooms where you don't have as much % of over-capacity. I always find myself switching these A/C's via a relay (with setting at minimum temperature), and almost never the built-in thermostat.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the outdoor compressors come pre charged.
and the pre charge is only good for a certain amount of footage on your lineset run.
diff models have diff charges, thus leading to diff lengths of piperuns.
i would still advise using a vac to clear any air out of the lines.
air in a freon line = bye bye $$

B

bipotato

:yeahthats

Always reliable, accurate information. :yes:

Of course if the lineset is actually charged with refrigerant, you don't wanna do the vacuum (unless you have a recovery device / can).

G

Guest 18340

Thanks. I figured there was a reason for spending more, besides the fact people were growing money on trees !!!

I wonder how much more efficient they are. I wonder if there are any standardized tests.
I don't know what method of testing they use but they do come with an Energy Star rating and I was able to get a tax deduction for it:)

B

bipotato

The EER & SEER ratings are a result of the standardized testings. I think mini split's must meet 14.0 SEER to qualify for the Energy Star (and also the tax credit) but don't quote me on that.

G

Guest 18340

The EER & SEER ratings are a result of the standardized testings. I think mini split's must meet 14.0 SEER to qualify for the Energy Star (and also the tax credit) but don't quote me on that.
I believe you are correct. Mine is 19 seer. Mr.Slim (Mitsubishi) makes a 26 seer model.
One thing I'd like to remind guys is that in the AC biz, you get what you pay for. The silver lining is not always in the price. I bought a no name brand and had the circuit board fry on me 2 weeks into it's first run. It took me 8 months to track down a replacement board. One of the reasons Mr.Slim's are so highly rated (beside their reliability!) is because their distribution network is VAST, I coulda had a circuit board in two days.
Stick with name brands. If you've never heard of it, chances are parts are non existent for it.
Learn from my mistake folks, I'm a grower just like you:ying:

D

driftersmokinjo

http://harborpointac.com/wall-split...on-cooling-heating-wall-split-ac/prod_42.html

Pre-charged linesets are some what common on refrigeration systems with critical charge weights. especially commercial ice machines and minisplit ac's.
This warranty does not cover:

• Damage that result from improper installation. Use of unqualified installation persons may void this warranty. Use of a vacuum pump is optimal and required for proper installation.....i see that they claim the lines are pre charged. but when you look at the warranty they say to use a vacuum pump or they will not warranty. also the good ol usa has a thing called the epa that says they will prosecute anyone or company that sells anything with freon that can be released with the use of factory installed service valves to a non epa card holder. i also know for a fact that some whole sellers ignore this law. i my self think the law is bull shit. just a ploy by our gov. to get in the pockets of the working folks. but that dose look like a tempting offer for someone wanting to be discreet about installing an a/c unit for a grow. thanks for posting the link:wave:

D

driftersmokinjo

The way the precharged lines seem to work is that they are stainless instead of copper, they only run 25 feet, and the refigerant is R-410a, which doesn't need EPA certification for handling. I think R-410a is supposed to become industry standard in 2010"
...............yes the epa has made R410a the new standard and manufactures can no longer make r22 units after 1-1-2010. but you still have to be epa certified to perches r410a. you must recover all refrigerant per epa regs

D

dunkybones

All sorts of people have chimed in with all sorts of knowledge, but does anyone want to go through the basic sequence for line purging? If it takes an HVAC guy like ten minutes to do it, it can't be all that difficult, but I'm sure things have to be done in a certain order.

Or does someone have a link that'll explain what to do after you purchase a vacuum pump?

GrnAlien

Great thread so far!

Anyone have step by step vacuuming instructions? I plan on installing a Mr Slim later this Spring...