What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

For All The New Outdoor Growers

PureSativa420

Pre flowering is just going to show ya sex then ya can go back to veg once outdoors, no reason to spend all season on male plants less of course you want to make seeds, it will not cause hermies or produce less smoke

Check out the strain guide stickied uptop it has alot of good information when picking strains for our climate

so would 16/8 lighting for 3 weeks should be good if I want them to be outdoor in the ground around the 1st week of may maybe 2nd depending on weather? what strain guide were u talking about stuck up where?

RediJedi

If I mixed two bags of FFOF with one bag of organic compost along with some perlite, a couple handfuls of dolomite lime and bone meal would it be okay? I would also top the bed with some cedar mulch and add a capful of some time release. Is that a practical recipe for the great outdoors? The plot will have either one or two plants and will be only a few sq. ft.

RediJedi

Excellent, El Professor. The old soil idea is a good one and I had not thought of it. Thank you for the reply. Peace.

No problem buddy thats what these forums are here for to learn and spread knowledge of the plant :), good luck on ya outdoor adventures this season!

Eliyaz

Ty for the post

I read somewhere that if I plant my babies out in the beginning of summer instead of spring i would get more females - is this true and if so maybe you could explain to me - how come?:listen2:

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Can an area that floods during heavy rain be used? It will get sunlight in a clearing, but there will be water some times. Can I prep the ground in any way? Maybe with perlite or coco?

bongcritter

This thread is great, thank you so much for it!!!

I just started my first grow...gonna be an outdoors one...my seedlings have been goin for a week or so now and I've already started digging holes.

Gonna use Fox Farm Ocean Forest with perlite...would a 50/50 mix be ok???

I'll try to remember to put mulch on top...seems to be a good way to get rid of bugs. also planning on caging em in. check on my thread for more info.

thanks so much for this thread!!!

basspirate

Cheers!

Cheers!

Also wanted to add my thanks for this post. Very informative indeed.

I live in PA at about 40 degrees latitude. I'm finally starting my first outdoor grow after years of a) wanting to b) not having anywhere to grow c) reading these forums (and OG back in the day too!).

I started some (4) bagseeds in soil that managed to germ for me. I was wondering-how much will the quality of my bud suffer if I decide to keep my males this year and breed for seed? I don't currently have access to the choice genetics that everyone else seems to have and I would like to keep growing indoors after the natural growing season as well as plant an even larger crop next year.

Once again, it's been a pleasure reading thus far and I look forward to participating on these boards with y'all. :joint:

MT.GUERRILLA

Hey basspirate good luck man. Unless you know the genetics of the bagseed and are sure it's indica dominant/will finish early enough, i'd do a little research and buy some seeds from gypsy nirvava....their safe and extremely fast, as well as reasonably priced. bagseed at your lat. is a risky idea, and from a breeding perspective, most likely unstable/hermaphroditic........

basspirate

Thanks for the info. I figured it might be a good experiment to start with some bagseeds to develop my greenthumb. i am interested in trying some seeds from a safe company, but always am fearful of 'the man'. then again, i burn every day and don't worry too terribly about it. once my little sprouts are a little bigger, i am going to hopefully post some photos. if i can prove to myself that i can cultivate a living plant in general, i think the investment could be well worth it. :) also, is there a technical reason (which i may not fully understand) as to why at this lat. the plants are likely to be unstable/hermaphroditic? thanks again for the reply.

MT.GUERRILLA

nah man the latitiude doesn't have anything to do with that...most weed is commercially grown down south....mexico, columbia etc. assuming those seeds came from midgrade herb, that means that they probably won't even start flowering at your northern latitude until september...if your lucky. that doesn't leave very much time for getting buds. when they do start flowering a percentage of those will be hermies as those plants parents parents parents were probably grown in some sunbaked field just inbred the hell out of each other. Trust me, i did the same thing you did when i first started out. go to a trusted site spend $20-30 on a bag of ten beans and the odds are that even if you don't really know what your doing you'll end up with something...where theres a will theres a way. Think positive.

basspirate

Truth! I'm going to do it. I've been examining some options and I think it's worth the money. I don't think that I am going to kill off my sprouts that I already have tho-I might even look into some of the methods I read on here about putting some kind of bag or trash can over the plants (yet somehow ventiliated, i assume?) to induce flowering, just for shits and giggles.

...I also need to think of a stealthy place to dry all of my treasure, once it's ready to be plundered! :dueling:

Thanks again for the advice!

ronbo51

Veteran
Bass, to help familiarize yourself with growing plants, you could go get some nice little houseplants, some soil, repot them give them some slow release organic nutes, I recommend Espoma Plant Tone. It's available at Lowes/Home Depot and has all the bacteria and fungi as well as micros. That and Alaska Fish Emulsion. Learn to take care of houseplants, see how they respond to light, moisture, nutes. Learn to identify whiteflies, fungus gnats, spider mites. Get a min/max thermometer, cheap soil ph meter. Make a small vegetable garden this spring. A four foot square area can grow a lot of food. Start with root crops and greens early, they love cold. A couple peppers, an eggplant a tomato or two. Just fall in love with growing plants. Then your time growing cannabis will be even more magical because you will be so much more able to appreciate what a beautiful and mysterious plant this is.

UnKlE_SaM

any good info on smartpots outdoors and their watering times (5gal) i really like the idea but i bet the water would evaporate a lot faster in them.