What's new

Foil directly on bulbs?

Strangely

What's the forum consensus on it?

A reflector won't work/fit with my set up due to my carbon filter (tray style) being directly above my horizontally placed bulbs (so can't hang bulbs vertically either).

What sort of issues can be encountered?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
It will most likely over heat the bulb and burn it out.

Sorry man without pics and measurements of your cab I wouldn't even know what to suggest.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What sort of issues can be encountered?

fire and electrocution are two that spring to mind.

try and sort it out so you can put a proper reflector in or at least some dimpled ali on the bottom of the tray. silly to waste all that light, but even more silly to cause a hazard.

VG

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You could put a strip of foil tape on the object right above the bulbs.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would expect differential expansion and contraction on startup and shutdown to cause premature failure within a short number of cycles.

Even if it were safe practice , much of the energy would be reflected straight back to the source , mostly wasted and adding to the bulbs heat , have used a thin polished sheet of alluminium an inch above the bulb in this situation with no problems , as close as i would go with decent fan cooling.

The tape trick works well on T12 and T8 flourescents , T5,s run a little too hot i feel.

Strangely

fire and electrocution are two that spring to mind.
Fair to say not overwhelming support!

I'll give it a miss then. Does seem a bit dodgy, I'd just seen a few doing it. Maybe I'll give a go to some strips on the filter and see if it's still drawing fine.

Cheers for te responses!

I

Iron_Lion

They sell bulbs with built in reflectors, for horizontal applications.