What's new

Foam board insulation for the basement ceiling?

dtfsux

I guess it depends on the living space. I had a 10kw sealed op with 3 6" fans, 1 12" fan, a 24kBTU ac, pumps, oscilatting fans etc, and that was just the flower room. This was right under the front door. I insulated the ceiling in the basement with 3.5" rolls, and you couldnt hear anything.

overbudjet

Veteran
Hi Georges try this (sonopan)real noise insulation with 2 layer of 5/8
gysum the green one for bathroom(threated agains mold and water)
very efficient .In sound insulation more mass is better= less vibe(sound).

in my case i have combined sonopan 2 layer,gypsum 3 layers,and rockwoll between stud ,and of course ceramic.
You can stand 2 feet agains the wall of the growroom without hearing any sound from it .

Last edited:
G

grow nerd

I vote 5/8" FC drywall. I don't think the green / purple board will really make a difference.

Make a T, use a helper, or rent a hoist / jack.

I'm using a single layer of recycled foam carpet padding, on top of a single layer of Temple-Inland's SoundChoice board (STC=26, NRC=0.35 @ 1/2"), on top of a double layer of 5/8" FC drywall to line my A/C condenser / compressor room.

The flowering room is lined with a double layer of 5/8" FC drywall on the inside and a single layer on the outside with 2x4 studs & R-13 in between. You can't hear anything standing right next to it, with lots of wall-mount oscillating fans, multiple inline centrifugal fans (scrubber), and dehumidifiers running inside.

L

lid

Hi Georges try this (sonopan)real noise insulation with 2 layer of 5/8
gysum the green one for bathroom(threated agains mold and water)
very efficient .In sound insulation more mass is better= less vibe(sound).

in my case i have combined sonopan 2 layer,gypsum 3 layers,and rockwoll between stud ,and of course ceramic.
You can stand 2 feet agains the wall of the growroom without hearing any sound from it .

I see your using "hatrack". Atleast somebody knows the value of it helping to slow vibration down.

G

grow nerd

Would'a been awesome to use the "hat tracks" or RC's in my A/C room. Never occurred to me. :-/

Considering the relatively low-cost for materials I think it'd make a lot of sense to use in equipment housing rooms now to think of it.

But probably not in flowering rooms, just not that durable.

Good eye, lid.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Foam board is NOT a very good sound damper.
Regular old "itchy" insulation is FAR better at noise control.
Foam board has many good growing uses, unfortunately, it is very poor at noise control.
Just tap a piece with your fingers, it actually seems to AMPLIFY sound.

SD

L

lid

I think the key to noise reduction is multi-layers of material of different density.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There really should be a fireproof material between floors to comply with minimal building regulations and slow the vertical spread of any fire , original setup sounds unsafe by todays standards but still common in older properties round here includeing mine.

Treated all woodwork with preservative then filled void with the cheaper rockwool insulation packed firm and finished with plasterboard and scimmed , good sound damping and fire resistant.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Noticed this popped up again. I ended up going with R19 kraft batts with 5/8 drywall on top of that. Then I covered it all with panda film.

LETS SAY ON A SCALE OF 1-10 THIS METHOD WAS A 7 AT MOST. The noise is a couple fans, a blower for the scrubber/exhaust on full, blower for air cooling lights 2 ballasts etc, pumps for the reservoir. So I think its pretty good they only things you hear is the blower.

I did it this way to stay with code but it's not enough, well not perfect. You can't hear any noises above but it sounds like the furnace is on above. Just a light fan noise that doesn't sound like it's coming from one place.

You just think they heat is on in the house.

To do it over then def would go with a "drywall' isolation product" like those listed. I could always hammer up a couple more sheets but if we find a country place in the next year we're leaving anyways.

I'm not sure the foam board would have done much more to be honest, 800cfm fan is still an 800cfm fan

BTW the blower makes o noise it's just the air rushing through the filter.

smiley