What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flying High w. Hawk - 2024 Grow Journal

Hawk518

Monday, 3/18/24

And so it begins…
Season 2 of Hawk’s Outdoor Adventures.
Please follow along. Any / all help is greatly appreciated!

I’m a newbie living in N. Virginia. This year I’m going to grow 4 plants. Two Photo Fems and two Auto Fems. One photo will be planted into the ground. The other 3 will be planted in fabric grow pots. The Photo will get a 20 gallon and the two Autos will get either 7 or 10 gallon fabric grow pots.

Hawk's Outdoor Grow Journal – 2024

Strains:
4 Kingdoms – Feminized – Photo - Sativa
Short Nepali – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
Blueberry Glue – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
CBD Critical Mass – Feminized – Photo - Indica leaning Hybrid

Indoor / Outdoor:
Will start indoors and then move them Outdoors. Three will be planted in soil in fabric grow pots and one will be planted in the ground.

Current Stage:
Started germination on 3/18/24. Placed two in cups of water and the other two on wet paper towels. Planning on putting them into rockwool cubes once they have tap roots.

All seeds were won from The Vault.
Thank you @George_TheVault !!

4Kingdoms__03_18_2024_01.jpg

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Monday, 3/16/24

And so it begins…
Season 2 of Hawk’s Outdoor Adventures.
Please follow along. Any / all help is greatly appreciated!

I’m a newbie living in N. Virginia. This year I’m going to grow 4 plants. Two Photo Fems and two Auto Fems. One photo will be planted into the ground. The other 3 will be planted in fabric grow pots. The Photo will get a 20 gallon and the two Autos will get either 7 or 10 gallon fabric grow pots.

Hawk's Outdoor Grow Journal – 2024

Strains:
4 Kingdoms – Feminized – Photo - Sativa
Short Nepali – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
Blueberry Glue – Feminized – Auto - Hybrid
CBD Critical Mass – Feminized – Photo - Indica leaning Hybrid

Indoor / Outdoor:
Will start indoors and then move them Outdoors. Three will be planted in soil in fabric grow pots and one will be planted in the ground.

Current Stage:
Started germination on 3/18/24. Placed two in cups of water and the other two on wet paper towels. Planning on putting them into rockwool cubes once they have tap roots.

All seeds were won from The Vault.
Thank you @George_TheVault !!

View attachment 18975878
Thank you for sharing your work with us friend. I'm going to ride with you for a while. Everything grows extra good in N. Virginia. Beautiful state.

Hawk518

3/19/24 - FINALLY pulled the trigger and bought a Vivosun 48″ x 48″ x 80″ Grow Tent and a Vivosun VS4000 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Board 400W. Probably way more than I need, but I figure at some point in the near future, I'm going to want to grow four plants during the winter season.

As soon as the seeds become seedlings, I'll place them in the tent.

Hawk518

3/20/24
Placed the two seeds in cups onto wet paper towels. The Short Nepali and 4Kingdom seeds have tiny tap roots visible.

3/21/24
Placed the two seeds without tap roots on a heating mat. Hopefully, this will help them pop.

Hawk518

3/22/24
The Short Nepali and 4Kingdom seeds have tap roots big enough to plant in the rockwool cubes. The other two are still on the heating mat at 72 degrees. The CBD Critical Mass is just starting to crack open. Still nothing from the Blueberry Glue auto. Will plant at least the SN and 4K in the cubes tomorrow morning.

Q: Once the autos have established roots in the rockwool cubes, should they get planted in a 7 or 10 gallon fabric grow pot? They’ll start out in a tent before being moved outside.

The 3rd picture is the CBD Critical Mass seed.

4Kingdoms__03_22_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_22_2024_02.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_22_2024_03.jpg

Hawk518

3/23/24
Broke off 4 rockwool cubes and soaked them in distilled water. Three of the seeds have decent sized taproots. The Blueberry Glue auto still hasn’t cracked open. Planted the 4 seeds in the rockwool cubes and placed them in a humidity dome tray. Added more distilled water to the tray. Placed the seedling tray on a heating mat set to 78 degrees. Is 78 a good temp or should I be making it warmer? Misted the humidity dome top and covered the seeds. Put my temporary LED lights just above the seeds and set it to an 18/6 light cycle. Will transfer the heating mat and humidity dome into a 4x4 tent w. a real LED light on Tuesday when my new equipment arrives.

Have I forgotten anything else that I need to do? At what point do I give up on the seed that hasn’t popped and start up a new one? Luckily, I have a couple more seeds of the Blueberry Glue auto strain that I could try...

4Kingdoms__03_23_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_23_2024_02.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_23_2024_03.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_23_2024_04.jpg

Hawk518

3/24/24
Seeds planted in rockwool cubes for less than 24 hours and already two of the seedlings have broken thru the surface. Wow – didn’t expect it so quickly! I’m beginning to think that I’m going to have to start germinating another Blueberry Glue seed. If this doesn’t pop, it will be the first time I’ve had a dud seed. I’m still hoping, but it isn’t looking promising…

4Kingdoms__03_24_2024_01.jpg

Hawk518

3/26/24
Nothing new to report. Still have two seedlings that haven’t broken the surface yet. If the Blueberry Glue doesn’t show something by tomorrow, I’m starting up another seed.

The Vivosun 4x4 grow tent and the 400W Vivosun LED light arrived today.

4Kingdoms__03_26_2024_01a.jpg

Hawk518

3/30/24
Blueberry Glue seed #2 has finally popped and has a small taproot. Will keep it in the damp paper towels til taproot is longer and then plant it in one of the rockwool cubes.

Had hoped to set up the tent / light today, but tweaked my back. If I still can't move tomorrow, I'm going to ask my wife to set it up for me.

4Kingdoms__03_30_2024_01.jpg

Hawk518

3/31/24
Blueberry Glue seed #2 has a taproot long enough to plant in the rockwool cube.

Opened the slots a little on the humidity dome. Not sure when to remove the humidity dome.

Tried to help my wife set up the grow tent – but who am I kidding, she did 90% of the work. Added a bit of growth hormone to the rockwool cube and planted BBG#2. Examined BBG#1 – still not popped. Tried making a tiny cut to the seed to crack the shell so that the tap root might start up. May have killed it, but nothing was happening otherwise. Noticed that the seed shell was stuck on the CBD Critical Mass, so removed it. Placed the heating matt and the humidity dome in the tent. Set the light at 24” above the dome and at 50%. The light is on an 18/6 hour schedule. No air filtration in the tent at the moment. No need since seedlings are in the dome.

Debating trying to sell my new Spider Farmer 6” fan / carbon filter and buying the same thing from Vivosun. That way I can put the entire system on a smart controller which would then run the light, fan, filter and whatever else I might buy. Crazy??

4Kingdoms__03_31_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_31_2024_02a.jpg
4Kingdoms__03_31_2024_03.jpg

Hawk518

Some newbie questions since this is the first time I’m using a tent and a real LED light. I’ve got seedlings in a humidity dome. Started germinating on 3/18. My 400w LED light is 24 inches above and dimmed to 50%. What temp / humidity is best for seedlings? When I checked online, I’ve seen quite a range. Also, at what point do you take the humidity dome off?

Hawk518

4/1/24
Was extremely surprised to find that the inside of the humidity dome was WAY too hot (about 90 degrees), even though the heating mat was set at 78. Removed the heating mat and will check again to see if the temp has dropped to a proper temp.

Checked a couple hours later – Temp at 87 and RH at 77%. Dimmed the light a bit more.

Hawk518

4/2/24
Added some water to the propagation tray. Temp and RH seemed to be ok. Turned the light from 25% back to 50%. Looks like the BBG#2 seed has broken the surface.

Still nothing from BBG#1…

4Kingdoms__04_02_2024_02a.jpg

Hawk518

4/4/24
Still trying to get temperature / humidity set. Right now it's all over the place!

Turned LED back from 25% to 50%. Took off the humidity dome. Watered the rockwool cubes.

When checked it again a few hours later, the humidity had dropped quite a bit and the temp had risen quite a bit! Will have to set up the humidifier in the tent. And a fan.

4Kingdoms__04_04_2024_02.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_04_2024_03a.jpg

Hawk518

4/5/24
Temp / humidity still all over the place depending on if have the light at 25% or 50% and if I leave the humidity dome on or off.

Took the humidity dome off and added a fan and a humidifier to the tent. Checked to see if the Short Nepali Auto had any roots coming out of the rockwool cube yet and was amazed that there were a LOT of roots visible. Will have to plant the cubes in fabric grow pots tomorrow. Thinking I’ll put the two Autos in 7 gallon pots and the 2 Photos in 1 gallon pots for now. Will have to keep them all in the tent for a while still. Probably at least another month before they can go outside, so Really need to get the temp / humidity under control!! These pics are about 12 hours apart.

4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_01.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_05_2024_02.jpg

Hawk518

4/6/24
This is Day 19 since I put the seeds in water. Still trying to fix the humidity / temps in the tent. Think the temp is fine and getting closer w. humidity. I don’t know, the seedlings still look very small to me. Guessing the humidity fluctuations might be stunting them?

Ordered the Island Herbz Starter Cure Kit. 4 lids that are airtight on mason jars and have a digital display of the Temp & Humidity. SO cool. Can’t wait to try them out.

4Kingdoms__04_06_2024_01a.jpg

Hawk518

4/7/24
Day 20. Temp is fine, Humidity is all over the place. Might just have to buy a fancy humidifier that can set the humidity temp.

Transplanted the seedlings. Put the two Photos in 1 gallon fabric grow pots. Put the two Autos in 7 gallon fabric grow pots. Used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil, perlite, and mycorrhizal fungi. Added some growth powder to the rockwool cubes and topped them all off w. worm castings. Put them in the tent. The 20 inch saucers are ridiculously large! But who knows, maybe I’ll try a grow pot big enough to fit at some point. Added two fans to the tent, along w. the humidifier. The Autos look TINY in those 7 gallon grow pots!

4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_07.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_08.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_09.jpg
4Kingdoms__04_07_2024_10.jpg