What's new

Flushing

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I generally quit adding nutes around the 30 day mark for most 60-70 day strains, right as the highest demands for water begin to decrease. The nutrient level slowly declines toward harvest time, with a pure r/o res swap the last 7-10 days. The last swap does a hard draw on any nutes still left in the sap of the plant, as osmosis works to make the reservoir ppm match. Drop your light intensity during this time as well, if you can. :)

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ I do this as well.

When I grow bud for myself I stop feeding 1/2 thru flowering and use only water to finish them off.
I like seeing my fan leaves losing their chlorophyll,etc. which proves the plants are flushing properly.
I also don't water 3 days before harvest to allow them to dry a bit and make harvesting easier.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I won't cut the food completely in hydro. Plant processes need a mix of different things to happen. Take any one away, and the process stops. Thus, things can't get used up.

I have known of people finishing on PK and getting a different flavour. I wouldn't though. P is one of the worst tasting, while K sends out sparks. Mg is said to not taste good either, and N is quite bitter. I think Calcium might be worth keeping around and is said to help with resin production. The trace stuff is just trace. This is a time when Tap might be your friend.

I'm not trying to kill a plant, just make it turn to it's internal reserves where possible. I throttle back so it's something like weak soil for a few days. I do this while they are still actively doing things. Once dead on their feet, it's too late anyway. They can live for weeks and use up barely anything.

Just my thoughts on the subject...
The only real work in the area said flushing did nothing anyway. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. I wouldn't suggest chopping at full feed, but if a third feed leads to deficiency signs in a few days, you can safely say there is a food shortage within them.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I agree with Douglas Curtis as being the best way for nutrient depletion, because the leaves store nutrients. When the mature leaves return nutrients to the flowers, they wither and fall off giving more light exposure to the inner buds. When plants finish in the fall the nutrients become unavailable and in turn making for the best flowers. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I would also add that a reduction in the photoperiod to 11 hrs in the last 20 days will help the leaf nutrient exchange to flowers. 😎

maryjanesdad

Flush using PH'ed water (RO WATER) or use your nutirent at a low EC. Plants should not be green when flushing.

mikeross

^^^ I do this as well.

When I grow bud for myself I stop feeding 1/2 thru flowering and use only water to finish them off.
I like seeing my fan leaves losing their chlorophyll,etc. which proves the plants are flushing properly.
I also don't water 3 days before harvest to allow them to dry a bit and make harvesting easier.

Are you in coco? I've never let my plants dryout before harvest. I like to think they are more hydrated which will prolong the drying process... I don't think its making much difference though. Allowing my plants to dry out a little would really help me harvest quicker amend my coco between runs.

3 days for me in my small coco pots would kill my plants... just wondering what medium your using, and if its coco you must be in big pots right. thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts