What's new

Flush and starve plants during flowering??

DrFever

Veteran
Thanks riddleme!!! great info.. Can u explain this root boiling a little more please?
Although i agree allot on RID post but what baffles me is when he mentions boiling water to me that is ridiculous . or flooding the roots
Where on earth does root systems get boiled water naturally NO where,,, and what is this method suppose to do help kill your plant ??? why not use Concentrated hydrochloric acid instead, then flooding the root zone Again what is this suppose to do ??? to the plant other then kill it , make it fall over, again most land based plants never got flooded ,,,
The flooding today is not natural or mud slides etc its man made from forrest cutting removal of species of trees that can drink up to 800,000 gallons a year per tree now with these trees gone we see more flooding and mud slides So again its not natural causes
MJ plants are not aquatic plants meaning they will not survive submerged in water they will drown and die
If you don't believe me then go flood your plant in soil leave her under water and watch how she will fall over and eventually die
huge difference between aquatic plants and terrestrial plants so is flooding or drowning your plant a good idea ??? here are the differences between the 2 species you still want to flood your medium and keep it flooded for instance
Land plants are highly specialized for their lifestyles. They get their nutrients from two sources: soil and air. It is the job of roots to absorb water and minerals from the soil, as well as hold the plant in place. Essential materials are transported to cells in leaves by a system of tubes called vascular tissue. then there cousins Aquatic plants Marine plants, called macroalgae or seaweeds, get their nutrients, water, and dissolved gases from seawater. Since water surrounds the entire marine plant, these dissolved nutrients simply diffuse into each cell. For this reason, marine plants do not have vascular tissue to accommodate photosynthesis or to carry its products

Riddleme

Vape has a point. What kind of paper is it? Super white ash....

bugler, I'm a roll your own cigarette smoker. It's a preference thing for me The pics were supposed to be a joke, guess nobody got it?

The super white is actually reflected light from a cfl, like I said was supposed to be a joke :biggrin:

Riddleme

Although i agree allot on RID post but what baffles me is when he mentions boiling water to me that is ridiculous . or flooding the roots
Where on earth does root systems get boiled water naturally NO where,,, and what is this method suppose to do help kill your plant ??? why not use Concentrated hydrochloric acid instead, then flooding the root zone Again what is this suppose to do ??? to the plant other then kill it , make it fall over, again most land based plants never got flooded ,,,
The flooding today is not natural or mud slides etc its man made from forrest cutting removal of species of trees that can drink up to 800,000 gallons a year per tree now with these trees gone we see more flooding and mud slides So again its not natural causes
MJ plants are not aquatic plants meaning they will not survive submerged in water they will drown and die
If you don't believe me then go flood your plant in soil leave her under water and watch how she will fall over and eventually die
huge difference between aquatic plants and terrestrial plants so is flooding or drowning your plant a good idea ??? here are the differences between the 2 species you still want to flood your medium and keep it flooded for instance
Land plants are highly specialized for their lifestyles. They get their nutrients from two sources: soil and air. It is the job of roots to absorb water and minerals from the soil, as well as hold the plant in place. Essential materials are transported to cells in leaves by a system of tubes called vascular tissue. then there cousins Aquatic plants Marine plants, called macroalgae or seaweeds, get their nutrients, water, and dissolved gases from seawater. Since water surrounds the entire marine plant, these dissolved nutrients simply diffuse into each cell. For this reason, marine plants do not have vascular tissue to accommodate photosynthesis or to carry its products

Did ya follow the link on flooded plants, I posted it, it is a well know fact that all plants turn sugar into alcohol to survive a flood, ALL PLANTS, biological fact, tis in all the botany books, I merely linked one source.

I tried flooding em, it causes problems and takes to long, the boiling water thing was the solution. It kills the roots instantly but not the plants they take a couple weeks to die after doing it and they actually grow afterwards, I have gotten many new foxtails after a good boil :biggrin:

You can think it's unnatural, you can think it's stupid but if you try it you'll never look back. I know 100's of growers doing this. It cuts 7 to 10 days off a cure IOW if you boil em once they are dry they smoke like they have been in the jar for 10 days

Try it on a plant and get back to me :biggrin:

S

sourpuss

Riddle... maybe you should be a little more detailed in ypur process. Mine is similar to your without the boiling water... lower feed for the last 10 days or so and a couple days of pure ro....

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Here is something to ponder regarding the color of "ash"--from my post in this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=275432

"In the cigar world, the color of ash has everything to do with minerals in the soil and very little about quality.

From the "cigar adviser" http://www.cigaradvisor.com/articles/cigars-101/smoking/who-cares-about-your-ash

When I was back in the customer service department, I would receive an occasional customer call insisting their cigars were bad. In fact, they were always the worst cigars the customer ever tasted. No, even worse; they were so bad, they would make people violently ill to the point where hospitalization would be the only means of full recovery, and even still, that person would have to undergo decades of psychiatric therapy to free his mind of all the horrors the cigars had on his life. Of course I never believed these flamboyant claims; and trust me, I actually received calls just like this. But like a good employee, I pried into why they were the worst cigars in the world since that was my job. Nine times out of ten, the answer would be because the ash color was black instead of white.

Again, I seriously had people call and give me stories like these. The flashback to the dark days in the call center actually came to mind when I was speaking to a cigar blogger over the weekend named Peter. The issue came up since I was smoking a Cusano 18 and the ash was relatively dark, and I pointed it out to him. His reaction was as normal as the sun is bright; he slapped me on the back of the head and told me to stop whining. He was right though, I shouldn’t be complaining about a dark ash. There is no reason to considering ash color as an indication of the taste of a cigar. Ash color is perhaps the most insignificant thing you can analyze when smoking a cigar.

Let me explain: Ash color only has to do with the levels of magnesium contained in the tobacco leaves. The lighter the cigar ash, the more magnesium there is and the opposite is true of darker cigar ash. However, the level difference is so minimal in the cigar, it is nowhere near noticeable on your palate. Instead of looking at color, look at the overall ash quality. This tells the story of your whole cigar as you puff through it. Say your cigar ash is flaky. This usually means that you are smoking a short filler and it can become a nuisance since the ash will most likely break off constantly. If this is the case, don’t smoke and drive without a Road Warrior Ash Can. Also, if the cigar splits in the middle, this usually means the middle is not keeping pace with the perimeter of the cigar. When the wrapper is burning faster than the filler and binder, this is a caustic burn issue and can alter the flavor of the smoke, so you will not taste the blend the manufacturer intended. To fix this, just stop puffing for a few minutes so the inside can catch up.

If you really want to analyze the ash on your cigar to ensure a quality cigar, do not look at the ash color. It is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Instead, pay close attention to how the ash splits and breaks off as you smoke in order to better analyze the quality of your burn. After all, the quality of the burn is what really defines the flavor of the cigar.

Cigar ash colors and associated minerals:
magnesium = white ash (the whiter it is--the more magnesium)
calcium = lighter color ash (chief element in cigar ash)
potassium = darker color for domestic, but white for cuban cigars
equal amounts of minerals = grey streaked with white veins

Hmmmm, I think overdose in ferts, particularly potassium is the primary culprit for dark ash in our world, after all--potassium phosphate is 0-50-30 (found in: Beasty Bloom, Cha-Ching, Moab, etc).

My $0.02, cheers!"

If you think about it, it does make sense: minerals in "burnt material" dictate the color of ash. It has been my experience that most things that are "mineral-less" do leave a white ash, ie paper, dried wood, cardboard, etc. In ancient times, didn't Chinese use minerals to add color to their fireworks? Magnesium--now let's not overdose with Epsom Salts....lol!

Besides, I doubt all the flushing in the world can remove unwanted minerals from plant material. After a good rain (nature's way of "flushing"), don't most plants look vibrant and alive? They certainly do not appear to be depleted of any minerals.

DrFever

Veteran
Did ya follow the link on flooded plants, I posted it, it is a well know fact that all plants turn sugar into alcohol to survive a flood, ALL PLANTS, biological fact, tis in all the botany books, I merely linked one source.

I tried flooding em, it causes problems and takes to long, the boiling water thing was the solution. It kills the roots instantly but not the plants they take a couple weeks to die after doing it and they actually grow afterwards, I have gotten many new foxtails after a good boil :biggrin:

You can think it's unnatural, you can think it's stupid but if you try it you'll never look back. I know 100's of growers doing this. It cuts 7 to 10 days off a cure IOW if you boil em once they are dry they smoke like they have been in the jar for 10 days

Try it on a plant and get back to me :biggrin:

Did you know that If you consistently over water your weed then it will eventually die. This will mainly be because you do not give the roots the opportunity to obtain oxygen. In the case of your watering cycle, when the soil is slightly damp/almost dry it allows air to circulate within the soil and roots. Roots require oxygen from the air for their cell respiration. If they are denied oxygen for too long due to the soil being to wet then the cells in your roots will die, leading to the eventual death of the plant. If the roots are damaged you cannabis cannot take water and nutrients from the soil, it will stop growth and eventually kill it.

Another reason plants die from over watering is because it causes root rot. If roots cannot dry out they become prone to rot and die, thus killing the plant. were here to grow weed not make alcohol lol this has noting to do to flushing or starving your plants or post should say flooding your plants ???
here is a easier way to kill a plant cut the stalk when you chop
this stuff you are posting is irelavant to this thread and has no meaning or actual scientific data other then your own tests that are know where near laboratory standards thus again useless and flawed
To think that boiling your roots , or flooding your roots are going to give you more potent weed lol could you please post LAB results on your findings ??? actual THC counts ??? probably not right
Hey did you know places like hindu mountains where these guys have been growing MJ for thousands of years tend to lower there water feeding in flower i wonder why
you mention potency here is my take on this genetics plays a major role in the quality of yields that you will harvest after growing marijuana. Although it is possible to manipulate traits through crossing of various strains of marijuana, the best way to increase THC potency in cannabis crops is to create an enabling growing environment. this means proper NPK proper Lighting , Temps and humidity sure the hell not flooding root zones , or any other crazy idea
Apart from light intensity, temperature and humidity, it is possible to increase THC content in marijuana by simply meeting nutritional requires of the plants. Soil nutrition can be supplemented with fertilizers when the fertility of the soil being used for cultivation is low. Potassium silicate is one of the fertilizers that have been found to give marijuana plants more THC potency than those cultivated with no fertilizer. However, phosphorus soil additives benefit cannabis plants the most during the flowering phase and those are facts

mr. gt

After reading a bunch of this thread, which was filled with actual facts, I changed my perception of flushing.

Did you know that If you consistently over water your weed then it will eventually die. This will mainly be because you do not give the roots the opportunity to obtain oxygen. In the case of your watering cycle, when the soil is slightly damp/almost dry it allows air to circulate within the soil and roots. Roots require oxygen from the air for their cell respiration. If they are denied oxygen for too long due to the soil being to wet then the cells in your roots will die, leading to the eventual death of the plant. If the roots are damaged you cannabis cannot take water and nutrients from the soil, it will stop growth and eventually kill it.

Another reason plants die from over watering is because it causes root rot. If roots cannot dry out they become prone to rot and die, thus killing the plant. were here to grow weed not make alcohol lol this has noting to do to flushing or starving your plants or post should say flooding your plants ???
here is a easier way to kill a plant cut the stalk when you chop
this stuff you are posting is irelavant to this thread and has no meaning or actual scientific data other then your own tests that are know where near laboratory standards thus again useless and flawed
To think that boiling your roots , or flooding your roots are going to give you more potent weed lol could you please post LAB results on your findings ??? actual THC counts ??? probably not right
Hey did you know places like hindu mountains where these guys have been growing MJ for thousands of years tend to lower there water feeding in flower i wonder why
you mention potency here is my take on this genetics plays a major role in the quality of yields that you will harvest after growing marijuana. Although it is possible to manipulate traits through crossing of various strains of marijuana, the best way to increase THC potency in cannabis crops is to create an enabling growing environment. this means proper NPK proper Lighting , Temps and humidity sure the hell not flooding root zones , or any other crazy idea
Apart from light intensity, temperature and humidity, it is possible to increase THC content in marijuana by simply meeting nutritional requires of the plants. Soil nutrition can be supplemented with fertilizers when the fertility of the soil being used for cultivation is low. Potassium silicate is one of the fertilizers that have been found to give marijuana plants more THC potency than those cultivated with no fertilizer. However, phosphorus soil additives benefit cannabis plants the most during the flowering phase and those are facts

...now I know why I've seen people bash the dr. To tell somebody to get lab results because you don't understand the science seems a bit... ignorant? Your thoughts are very scattered, as well as mine. I'm not being sarcastic, but I find taking a couple deep slow breaths before, sometimes during and after conversation allow me to communicate my point clearer. If you tell someone to do something they're obviously not going to do, to provoke, may and will turn some people away from you.

"If the roots are damaged you cannabis cannot take water and nutrients from the soil, it will stop growth and eventually kill it."

The whole point of mimicking flooding is to turn sugar into alcohol aka fermenting. Which is also accomplished in curing. Please correct me if I'm wrong Riddle.

Since we brought up ancient fun facts, I read somewhere, that in ancient Africa, they actually bounded buds using sticks. Than buried them underground for weeks. This created a sort of black mold, which was believed to get them 'higher'

~mr. gt

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
burying bud to partially convert some of the compounds within it is very different to flooding plants. plus.. im pretty sure people don't dig a whole and store weed in the ground now days. im guessing its not as popular as freshly cured and dried bud.

DrFever

Veteran
After reading a bunch of this thread, which was filled with actual facts, I changed my perception of flushing.

...now I know why I've seen people bash the dr. To tell somebody to get lab results because you don't understand the science seems a bit... ignorant? Your thoughts are very scattered, as well as mine. I'm not being sarcastic, but I find taking a couple deep slow breaths before, sometimes during and after conversation allow me to communicate my point clearer. If you tell someone to do something they're obviously not going to do, to provoke, may and will turn some people away from you.

"If the roots are damaged you cannabis cannot take water and nutrients from the soil, it will stop growth and eventually kill it."

The whole point of mimicking flooding is to turn sugar into alcohol aka fermenting. Which is also accomplished in curing. Please correct me if I'm wrong Riddle.

Since we brought up ancient fun facts, I read somewhere, that in Africa, they actually bounded buds using sticks. Than buried them underground for weeks. This created a sort of black mold, which was believed to get them 'higher'

~mr. gt

I am asking for proof not saying go get lab results funny tho only in the MJ forums you get pot head ideas really ??
I am not here to make friends nor get a pat on the shoulder cause really i do not give a fuck in the real world of things, If your house was to burn down tomorrow, it wouldn't effect a fucking thing in my life not that i would wish that on anyone just saying
but what i am seeing is more n more non sense and idiotic ideas
Its only these ideas that make simple growing a weed into a gong show nothing hard about growing weed a 6 year old can do it Really you mention

And what about this by flooding your root system ???? not only do you effect osmosis / changed root pressure respiration and transpiration and this is why many see symptoms of plants wilting leafs turning yellow The main reason for injury relates to oxygen depletion in flooded or waterlogged soils. As oxygen slowly diffuses and reduces in concentration to a few percent or zero, aerobic root respiration, root growth, transpiration, and translocation all decrease or stop. so
So to think that the plants sugars that are stored in the leafs not root system is going to turn into alcohol think again once you flood your roots everything seizes and plant starts to die no different then a person drowning :tiphat: or suffocating to death all you have done is locked up your plant

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran

ive read a few different studies since reading your post and it appears not to be a biological fact.

carbon dioxide, methane, hydrogen, nitrogen gas, ethanol (eg alcohol) and hydrogen sulphide build up in and around the roots which are toxic to the plant.

that seems to be the general consensus. if your plant is drawing up these toxins im guessing that it could actually affect your health if you are smoking the bud.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always harvest plants in dry media as it's got less weight to throw out. Basically when the media shrinks from the sides of the pots this has been achieved.

They flush in flower because they are feeding chemicals/nutrients.

You can achieve this by watering with 1/2 strength feeds every 10 days in flower.

mr. gt

So, is flushing a question of fermentation? Please someone with more knowledge help explain. That would help push us somewhat in the right direction I would assume. I never knew fermentation and curing had anything in common : x

Heres the definition of Fermentation

Fermentation

Definition

noun

An anaerobic (without oxygen) cellular process in which organic foods are converted into simpler compounds, and chemical energy (ATP) is produced.

Supplement

Fermentation differs from cellular respiration in a way that it uses organic compounds such as carbohydrates as (endogenous) electron acceptors instead of molecular oxygen (which is an exogenous electron acceptor in cellular respiration). However, compared with oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration), fermentation produces less ATP.

Fermentation occurs in fruits, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, as well as in mammalian muscle. Yeasts were discovered to have connection with fermentation as observed by the French chemist, Louis Pasteur. Pasteur originally defined fermentation as respiration without air. However, fermentation does not have to always occur in anaerobic condition. Yeasts still prefer to undergo fermentation to process organic compounds and generate ATP even in the presence of oxygen. However, in mammalian muscles, they turn from oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration) to fermentation when oxygen supply becomes limited, especially during a strenuous activity such as intensive exercising.

Fermentation is believed to have been the primary means of energy production in earlier organisms before oxygen was at high concentration in the atmosphere, and thus would represent a more ancient form of energy production in cells.

Fermentation occurs naturally but humans have used and controlled the process. It is used in the production of alcohol, bread, vinegar, and other food or industrial products:

Fermentation (food) - the conversion of carbohydrates into alcohols or acids under anaerobic conditions used for making certain foods. Fermentation (wine) – the process of fermentation commonly used in winemaking Fermentation (beer) – the process of fermentation used in brewing beer Fermentation (tea) - used in the tea industry for the aerobic treatment of tea leaves to break down certain unwanted chemicals and modify others to develop the flavour of the tea Ethanol fermentation - a form of anaerobic respiration used primarily by yeasts when oxygen is not present in sufficient quantity for normal cellular respiration Industrial fermentation, the breakdown and re-assembly of biochemicals for industry, often in aerobic growth conditions

Just for fun, while Googling (sp?) "fermentation marijuana" i found that thing I read about the African curing style

In Malawi and other parts of Africa, the traditional curing method is fermentation based, wherein chlorophyll eating-bacteria are accelerated by wrapping the herb tightly in corn husk and either leaving in the sun, burying in warm earth, or cow dung so I've heard, among other methods. This method of removing chlorophyll is superior to the western burp jar method, which is still a bacterial process but to a lesser extent - it doesn't actually ferment the weed.
Many say the ferment-cure produces super smooth, earthy, and extra powerful smoke, and I agree.

I have very limited knowledge of this method and wondering if anyone can fill me in. Or better yet have direct experience of the method.

I have found the following tutorial online but it is not very detailed.
Originally from skunk magazine:

"Materials:
1) plastic 60 gallon trash can

2) 9 cubic feet of dirt

3) cornhusks

4) 1/2 ounce Malawi or equiv. Amount of sativa ( immediately following harvest buds should be hung dry as normal.
5) hemp fiber or twine

Process:

1) Cut or drill drainage holes in bottom of can. Fill trashcan 25% with dirt.

2) place the 1/2 ounce in the corn husk.

3) roll the herb back and forth in the corn husk ( somewhat like rolling a joint) compressing it into a cylindrical shape.
4) tightly wrap husks in the twine applying even more pressure to the herb.

5) place cobs on top of dirt in trash can and cover them with remaining 75% dirt.

Once per month pour a half a gallon of water on top of dirt. ( don't worry if weeds grow just pull em)
"

I have heard a more extreme method of curing is to starve a goat, and feed it your prime buds. Goats, being herbivore's, have a fermentation based digestion, unlike a carnivores which is putrification based. The "nug manure" that proceeds is supposedly the finest and most powerful of herbs.

Also in Afghanistan and Pakistan buds (or resin powder I never remember which) are packed into the skin of a goat or sheep and buried, clearly a ferment based cure.

"Indiginous" cultures often have more advanced methods of preparing plants than western societies. What may seem like a pointless, or primitive practice is actually based in logic and science. For example we mainly eat our grains unfermented, in yeast filled bread, noodles and pasta. indiginous peoples always go to lengths to ferment their grain, this removes many harmful compounds and makes them easier to digest.

Nobody likes that fresh green flavour and uneven burning of un-cured weed, but when we cure without the correct level of bacteria, we are still leaving much of it in.
Bright green shiny nugs have become the in demand product, when they are actually the inferior product in terms of smoke quality.

I have some sativa buds that I may turn into "Malawi cobs" or other method of ferment-cure.
Now they've been dried and in mason jars for almost a month, so hope its not too late to initiate the fermentation?

How can I go about turning green, chlorophyll saturated nugs into dark mellow hashy smoke.

6 pages of response in that African curing thread - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247378

very interesting pic from that thread. I've seen lots of other over 1 year 'cured' nugs brown, but damn is this brown:

picture.php

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Again with all the biological "facts" that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. We need to be better critical thinkers.

Flushing and roots being submerged in standing water is two very different things. Flooding and flushing both happen all the time in nature. Go out in a heavy rainstorm. I believe we should have healthy roots, and I would never keep my roots submerged in water for more than a minute. However, I flush my plants nearly every time I water. That does not mean that I am depriving them of oxygen. I use a well draining substrate and I water from a tank that has an aquarium bubbler constantly mixing air with the water. If you don't have at least 10% of the watering go out through the drain holes of the pot during every watering, chemicals that are toxic to the plant build up. Even if they are not at toxic levels, the chemistry of the plant affects your high. THC is not the only chemical that effects your high. I do heavy flushing near the end of the life cycle of the plant to remove excess nutrients from the plant that are able to leach out through the root system.

Someone posted that they are "on the fence" about this. It then seems worthwhile to try it for yourself. Don't be fooled by a "fact" that diverges you from the point. Test it for yourself.

B.T.W., Ras Mason, if you were to take a bite of a BLT with a supermarket tomato, and another bite from a BLT from one of my garden grown tomatoes, you would think the difference is sublime. But then again, I especially like quality food also. Life is too short to not be smoking and eating the best that we can. It makes you feel better. Money and profit is nice, but pride in your work is nice also. Wouldn't you feel good if you had the bud with strongest and best high of anyone around? Fine quality is more enjoyable for yourself and a sense of pride and accomplishment while sharing it with friends.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

mr. gt

..sorry to keep going on but I am extremely fascinated by this 'fermenting' method. Assuming curing in jars and fermenting with temperatures and humidity are 2 separate things.

After reading all of this. The only way for one to possibly find out for themselves is to try it themselves. Using the same plant.. do a burping jar method with 62-65% humidity, corn cob method underground, some sort of home made kiln with high temperatures for fermentation, trying this 'corn cob' method, and water curing. All from the same plant.

I promise you guys, when I get my grow going again, I will experiment all ways from the same plant.

Now for some intellectuals. What if you were to do this fermentation curing and the thc numbers did go down compared to jar cured buds, but the high seemed more potent and stronger? Placebo, different terpenes stood out more, change in cannabinoids? Just would like to know others thoughts for when I try. Thanks.

Heres something DHF posted a couple years back. Seems to go against fermentation:

Anyone that`s ever kept fully dried and cured dope in jars in cool dark pantry type surroundings instead of in frozen suspended animation , will testify that after 6-12 months strain dependent the product will turn colors from chlorophyll degradation and be brown/goldish on it`s own and will have developed waaay different flavor and taste profiles from the original specimen......and....

I was also a product of the 70`s influx of major imported Mex/Columbian/Jamacan with every color of the rainbow product that was fully seeded but awesome outrageously strong dope , including the duffel bags my boys in the military brought back from Viet Nam , Cambodia , and Thailand.....but.....

Never had no Malawi cobs , but I can attest first hand eye witness to what I saw on many different occasions when I traveled south with my uncle on his "fishin and shrimpin" escapades to Central and South America during the mid summer harvest cycles which were the best products since the shit grew yr round with 4 harvests per yr.....Anyways....

All the "mota" farmers brought their crops to the "Campesino`s" ranch where women and children bucked and semi-trimmed the Sativa-zilla`s and hybrid plants into trimmable limbs and colas and were piled up in the sun...and then.....

They turned the shit with pitchforks daily to prevent fermentation and causing a "heat" so the shit wouldn`t spontaneously combust since there was tons and tons of wet dope all piled up everywhere...and then.....

After a couple weeks , we got the tour and picked out what we wanted after the final trimmings were done before they bricked and baled each different pile for exportation....and I`ve gotta say.....

As picky as we are these days about how careful we are about preventing molds and mildews from forming on drying/curing dope , it was mainstream back then and never a concern.....and......

No offense but.....I long for the old dope...Can`t get shit like that anymore , and why ?....I think it`s got a whole lot ta do with this original thread posting bout how yas go about transforming THC`s and CBD`s and CBN`s and so on and so forth.....but....

I applaud anyone`s effort to try and make 1 product better with experimentation in the drying/curing process......Hell......I`ll roll a log up in a corn cob and bury it in a heartbeat.....just ain`t got one......

Not many folks can hold onto shit long enough to see what happens over time with weed once it gets 62% RH and then either vacuum sealed or jarred without freezing and put in suspended animation......anyways...

Nuff outta my old ass this day........Ya`ll build some cobs.....Respect...and.....

Peace....DHF...........

~mr. gt

Ps: to OP or others I am so sorry for diverting the topic from flushing to curing. I kind of got in the zone to figure this out for myself.

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran
So, is flushing a question of fermentation? Please someone with more knowledge help explain. That would help push us somewhat in the right direction I would assume. I never knew fermentation and curing had anything in common : x

Heres the definition of Fermentation

Fermentation

Definition

noun

An anaerobic (without oxygen) cellular process in which organic foods are converted into simpler compounds, and chemical energy (ATP) is produced.

Supplement

Fermentation differs from cellular respiration in a way that it uses organic compounds such as carbohydrates as (endogenous) electron acceptors instead of molecular oxygen (which is an exogenous electron acceptor in cellular respiration). However, compared with oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration), fermentation produces less ATP.

Fermentation occurs in fruits, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, as well as in mammalian muscle. Yeasts were discovered to have connection with fermentation as observed by the French chemist, Louis Pasteur. Pasteur originally defined fermentation as respiration without air. However, fermentation does not have to always occur in anaerobic condition. Yeasts still prefer to undergo fermentation to process organic compounds and generate ATP even in the presence of oxygen. However, in mammalian muscles, they turn from oxidative phosphorylation (of cellular respiration) to fermentation when oxygen supply becomes limited, especially during a strenuous activity such as intensive exercising.

Fermentation is believed to have been the primary means of energy production in earlier organisms before oxygen was at high concentration in the atmosphere, and thus would represent a more ancient form of energy production in cells.

Fermentation occurs naturally but humans have used and controlled the process. It is used in the production of alcohol, bread, vinegar, and other food or industrial products:

Fermentation (food) - the conversion of carbohydrates into alcohols or acids under anaerobic conditions used for making certain foods. Fermentation (wine) – the process of fermentation commonly used in winemaking Fermentation (beer) – the process of fermentation used in brewing beer Fermentation (tea) - used in the tea industry for the aerobic treatment of tea leaves to break down certain unwanted chemicals and modify others to develop the flavour of the tea Ethanol fermentation - a form of anaerobic respiration used primarily by yeasts when oxygen is not present in sufficient quantity for normal cellular respiration Industrial fermentation, the breakdown and re-assembly of biochemicals for industry, often in aerobic growth conditions

Just for fun, while Googling (sp?) "fermentation marijuana" i found that thing I read about the African curing style

In Malawi and other parts of Africa, the traditional curing method is fermentation based, wherein chlorophyll eating-bacteria are accelerated by wrapping the herb tightly in corn husk and either leaving in the sun, burying in warm earth, or cow dung so I've heard, among other methods. This method of removing chlorophyll is superior to the western burp jar method, which is still a bacterial process but to a lesser extent - it doesn't actually ferment the weed.
Many say the ferment-cure produces super smooth, earthy, and extra powerful smoke, and I agree.

I have very limited knowledge of this method and wondering if anyone can fill me in. Or better yet have direct experience of the method.

I have found the following tutorial online but it is not very detailed.
Originally from skunk magazine:

"Materials:
1) plastic 60 gallon trash can

2) 9 cubic feet of dirt

3) cornhusks

4) 1/2 ounce Malawi or equiv. Amount of sativa ( immediately following harvest buds should be hung dry as normal.
5) hemp fiber or twine

Process:

1) Cut or drill drainage holes in bottom of can. Fill trashcan 25% with dirt.

2) place the 1/2 ounce in the corn husk.

3) roll the herb back and forth in the corn husk ( somewhat like rolling a joint) compressing it into a cylindrical shape.
4) tightly wrap husks in the twine applying even more pressure to the herb.

5) place cobs on top of dirt in trash can and cover them with remaining 75% dirt.

Once per month pour a half a gallon of water on top of dirt. ( don't worry if weeds grow just pull em)
"

I have heard a more extreme method of curing is to starve a goat, and feed it your prime buds. Goats, being herbivore's, have a fermentation based digestion, unlike a carnivores which is putrification based. The "nug manure" that proceeds is supposedly the finest and most powerful of herbs.

Also in Afghanistan and Pakistan buds (or resin powder I never remember which) are packed into the skin of a goat or sheep and buried, clearly a ferment based cure.

"Indiginous" cultures often have more advanced methods of preparing plants than western societies. What may seem like a pointless, or primitive practice is actually based in logic and science. For example we mainly eat our grains unfermented, in yeast filled bread, noodles and pasta. indiginous peoples always go to lengths to ferment their grain, this removes many harmful compounds and makes them easier to digest.

Nobody likes that fresh green flavour and uneven burning of un-cured weed, but when we cure without the correct level of bacteria, we are still leaving much of it in.
Bright green shiny nugs have become the in demand product, when they are actually the inferior product in terms of smoke quality.

I have some sativa buds that I may turn into "Malawi cobs" or other method of ferment-cure.
Now they've been dried and in mason jars for almost a month, so hope its not too late to initiate the fermentation?

How can I go about turning green, chlorophyll saturated nugs into dark mellow hashy smoke.

6 pages of response in that African curing thread - https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=247378

very interesting pic from that thread. I've seen lots of other over 1 year 'cured' nugs brown, but damn is this brown:

View Image

Yup ugly rot brown and really bad bag appeal would you smoke it hahaha i sure the hell wouldnt
i don't need no chamber to dry n cure my weed just a bunch of door screens in a room which is dialed in slow dry 4 th - 5th day put all in a big garbage bag compress air out of it let sit for 6 - 8 hrs to sweat out then back on screens for 24 hrs bag em burp em daily there is my dry n cure all at once 15 - 20 percent THC this stuff is wicked pure power plant

Attachments

• Picture 486.jpg
    Picture 486.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 10
  • dscf3924i.jpg
    dscf3924i.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3929.jpg
    DSCF3929.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 11

mr. gt

haha. it does look nasty, but I will at least try it.

u said.. dry and cure, all at once.. u should hide a small jar of curing bud from yourself for 6-12 months. With all that nug, I don't think it would hurt.

Ras Mason

Veteran
Again with all the biological "facts" that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. We need to be better critical thinkers.

Flushing and roots being submerged in standing water is two very different things. Flooding and flushing both happen all the time in nature. Go out in a heavy rainstorm. I believe we should have healthy roots, and I would never keep my roots submerged in water for more than a minute. However, I flush my plants nearly every time I water. That does not mean that I am depriving them of oxygen. I use a well draining substrate and I water from a tank that has an aquarium bubbler constantly mixing air with the water. If you don't have at least 10% of the watering go out through the drain holes of the pot during every watering, chemicals that are toxic to the plant build up. Even if they are not at toxic levels, the chemistry of the plant affects your high. THC is not the only chemical that effects your high. I do heavy flushing near the end of the life cycle of the plant to remove excess nutrients from the plant that are able to leach out through the root system.

Someone posted that they are "on the fence" about this. It then seems worthwhile to try it for yourself. Don't be fooled by a "fact" that diverges you from the point. Test it for yourself.

B.T.W., Ras Mason, if you were to take a bite of a BLT with a supermarket tomato, and another bite from a BLT from one of my garden grown tomatoes, you would think the difference is sublime. But then again, I especially like quality food also. Life is too short to not be smoking and eating the best that we can. It makes you feel better. Money and profit is nice, but pride in your work is nice also. Wouldn't you feel good if you had the bud with strongest and best high of anyone around? Fine quality is more enjoyable for yourself and a sense of pride and accomplishment while sharing it with friends.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

HI Thai!
No doubt, your tomatoes must be delicious. I wonder why you would direct this post at me though...
peace
jf

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I must have smoked weed for 15 years before I ever saw green bud other than homegrown, which was crap. The one exception was Jamaican ganja, which was excellent. I had to move to California before I smoked good homegrown, in the late 70s. Back then, the Cali growers had their shit together. Their product was on par with good to excellent quality import. I still laughed at the term "green bud" though. The concept was upside down and backward from my experience. A lot of those good old Cali strains have disappeared out of the commercial market, and more and more fertilizer has gone into the grows to produce more money.

I recently visited with a friend from Colorado. He says the quality of bud has gone down since it became legal recreationally. He said the same thing happened to Mexico, to Colombia, etc.. I remember the same thing happening as each growing region became popular. The really high grade weed always came from exotic places that not many had ever heard of. As soon as that exotic weed became the rage, it went to shit. I was hoping it would go the other way when it became legal, but I guess it I was wrong. I'll always grow my own, the way I feel is best. I would urge everyone to preserve their seeds from the stuff they like. I'm loving that there are some who are willing to try old and new curing methods. It is an art that is as important as the cultivation.

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts