What's new

Fluorescent Lighting and CRI - How important is it?

Fluorescent Lighting and CRI - How important is it?

• High CRI is best

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Low CRI is best

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • It is not important

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I don't know or never considered it

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters

maryjohn

Veteran
Firm-heading forms had become well developed in Europe by the 16th century, but when they first were developed is unknown. The oak-leaved and curled-leaf types, and various colors now known, were all described in the 16th and 17th centuries in Europe.

(from some site)

I'm not nitpicking, but I believe heading lettuce would be a bad place to look for "evolutionary traits". I don't think heading lettuce could make it in the wild. This is a plant developed (manipulated?) by man to suit a purpose not related to direct competition. I would not be surprised if the inside leaves are just blanched and waiting to be eaten. The only function is to attract you so that you will propagate it. Kind of like the flowers of MJ will be in 1000 years.

Brassica Oleracea as a species includes cabbage, brusseld sprouts, broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, collards, and broccoli, none of who have traits evolved via natural selection (unless you take the view that we are being manipulated as much as they are).

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
CRI is the measurement of the lamp's color output relative to that rendered by the sun. The theory in indoor cultivation being the closer the lamp's color rendering is to that of the sun, the better off you are. I have always used high CRI lamps under the operating theory they help form better foliage canopies than those lamps that have lower CRIs (such as the common high-pressure sodium).

It would seem that LEDs are adding a new dimension to this matter and one has to be prepared to accept revisions to our "growing lore" as these revelations are revealed to the masses.

superpedro

Veteran
(from some site)

I'm not nitpicking, but I believe heading lettuce would be a bad place to look for "evolutionary traits". I don't think heading lettuce could make it in the wild. This is a plant developed (manipulated?) by man to suit a purpose not related to direct competition. I would not be surprised if the inside leaves are just blanched and waiting to be eaten. The only function is to attract you so that you will propagate it. Kind of like the flowers of MJ will be in 1000 years.

Brassica Oleracea as a species includes cabbage, brusseld sprouts, broccoli, kohlrabi, kale, collards, and broccoli, none of who have traits evolved via natural selection (unless you take the view that we are being manipulated as much as they are).

I'm no expert on lettuce. And it has been cultivated for a very long time I admit that.
But if an original trait is beneficial for growing dense heads, breeding it would preserve and enhance the trait even more right?

I could be wrong, certainly. I haven't seen experiments with lettuce under artificial light before, but i guess once NASA wants to grow it in space, it really speeds up things :D.
I would choose weed over lettuce if I got a trip to mars..

maryjohn

Veteran
i'd like to see cannabis bred with edible leaves, thus resolving a serious issue for cosmonauts.

Here is what wild lettuce looks like. All lettuces come from this one. Which of the traits seen here was selected? By the time lettuce had traits which could be selected to make heads, it had been a cultigen for thousands of years.

Now what would be neat is if it still has the gear for making use of energy in the shade of the outer leaves.

Lactuca_virosa_20052001.JPG

superpedro

Veteran
I've found no evidence suggesting the fist lettuce was breed directly from Lactuca serriola though it is the ancestor.
Evidence from Egyptian tomb paintings that lettuce was cultivated before 4,500 B.C. (quote from the link^^^^)

Damn. This thread lives its own life, it's hard to write all that when English isn't my first language :). Perhaps it should have been a tread just about bulbs, and another about the uptake. We have two or tree topics mixed in.
1 The most common info you get with flouro's is Kelvin and CRI, can we use those two numbers to tell us anything about the light? (not talking what we want out of a bulb)
2 The general light uptake of plants.
3 Light physics and the human perception of light

maryjohn

Veteran
Evidence from Egyptian tomb paintings that lettuce was cultivated before 4,500 B.C.
Derived from the weed Lactuca serriola (prickly lettuce).
Prickly lettuce originally cultivated for forage and oil.
Prickly lettuce is extremely bitter.

(from your link)

If prickly lettuce itself was cultivated first, this isn't a huge stretch...

Wild mustard is just as different from broccoli as iceberg from prickly lettuce. Which of the wild mustard traits became brussels sprouts?

you're right, it's a silly tangent at this point, but hasn't lost my interest!

asde

not important at all - light intensity / watt and spectral distribution is what matters - cri 100 can better better than cri 80 but cri 60 can be better than cri 100..

hilbie

theres tons of green in natural sunlight, and it seems that multi spectrum bulbs grow plants the best ime. the plants dont use green is a myth iim coming to accept, if u look at the sun when it cast a prisim, youll usually see the wides bars of light in dark blue and the reds with second largest being in the green.

kuskus

Hello, not to dig up a really old thread but.. I need to buy some new PLL bulbs and i have been looking at those 90+ CRI Lumilux De Luxe bulbs and wondering if they would be better for growing.

Did you guys come to any consensus as to whether that is the case?