What's new

Flowering times for plants from seeds verses clones

Hi icmag.

I have experience growing from seed outdoors and clones indoors, but I have never flowered a plant from seed indoors, and then flowered a clone from that same plant indoors.

My question relates to the flowering time of a plant grown from seed, verses a cutting taken that same plant. More than once, I have seen others stating that plant from a clone will flower more quickly (after switching to 12/12) than the original plant from seed. Is it typically faster, and if so, by how much?

oti$

Sometimes the flower time can vary, sometimes a little shorter, sometimes maybe a little longer. You really won't know until you flower out that particular seed/clone. Some may experience a longer flower period with a seed plant because a seed plant won't start flowering until it is sexually mature no matter the light cycle, so you can flip a seedling and it may take some time before it even begins to flower, therefore appearing to have a longer flower time. I hope that makes sense and helps...

RockinRobot

Plants won't begin flowering until they reach a certain maturity regardless of the number of hours of light. When growing 12/12 from seed it will take about 3 weeks before the plant will start to show signs of flowering. Clones are already mature and will start to flower more quickly. However a seed plant and clone from same plant will still finish in the same number of days from first showing.

Thanks oti$ & RockinRobot. So it appears that a plant has a biological clock that starts when the seed begins germination. The plant then has to reach a certain threshold on the clock before it can begin flowering. If this is the case then a plant turned to 12/12 after two weeks of veg may take longer to start flowering than a plant turned after 8 weeks of veg before turning to 12/12. This could account for the perception that clones are quicker to flower.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Plants won't begin flowering until they reach a certain maturity regardless of the number of hours of light. When growing 12/12 from seed it will take about 3 weeks before the plant will start to show signs of flowering. Clones are already mature and will start to flower more quickly. However a seed plant and clone from same plant will still finish in the same number of days from first showing.

Many strains will have a shorter flowering time from clone vs seed.

Long flowering sativa's will finish flowering a few weeks earlier from clone than seed.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes absolutely.

Nevils Haze is one that for sure flowers faster from clone than seed.

The NL x Haze from Sensi i used to grow finished in 13 weeks from seed and 10 weeks from clone.

Also Vietnam Black was 14-15 weeks from seed and 11 from clone.