What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Florida Python Invasion

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Python skins make good exotic leather accessories. A new business oppurtunity in Florida.
I'd say the trapping/killing/selling of hides of non-indigenous reptiles might easily be allowable by permit in some places given you don't threaten or harm any native species. They'd make fine fine belts and handbags, really fine, & patterned in with a fine soft top grain cowhide would increase the units per hide as opposed to a 100% snake bag.

check out the market/permits madre, I have several mexican, argetinian, & brazilian belt & handbag manufacturers, very trustworthy people for timely & quality work, although FL to Mexico would keep roundtrip shipping costs low and taking advantage of NAFTA which would be cool as the product starts & ends here in the US, I also have ways for you to either beat or minimize tariff (import taxes) fees on the goods to keep the 'landed' cost the lowest.

B

buddymate

nycd,I saw that video,the Thai guy at one of the crocodile shows,theres another where the croc grabs a guy across his head :1help::yoinks:

madrecinco

Veteran
The newspaper here says there are more than 150,000 Burmese pythons currently slithering around Florida

I wonder who did that count? But bounty is to be the tactic to rid the Everglades of pythons. The Seminole Native Americans who live in the sea of grass should be able to clean them out. They have airboats these days. A fun outing looking for gators in their airboats. But Commisioner Bergeron who gave the Govenor and Senator Nelson an airboat ride and they endorsed the idea.

The Burmese python is non-native to Florida and is considered one of the most damaging exotics to invade the Everglades. As well as the most elusive. They breed freely and are voracious preditors. Some killed by biologists had deer and bobcats in their stomachs.

Everglades National Parks Superintendant Dan Kimball jokes that the python is the "spokes-snake for all the exotic species infesting the river of grass and either displacing or devouring the native wildlife.

SOOOO State officials say federal efforts to stop the spread of pythons has failed so they are ready for the publics help in hunting the snake.

But they are very hard to find also. Some biologists put tiny transmitters in some and released them back to the wild to track them. Several instances where they were standing right in the spot where the radio signal says the python should be, yet they could see absolutely nothing.
It took 3 men to pull the 16 foot python out of a box for the meeting with the politicians.

So Salazar and Govenor Crist endorsed the idea of a bounty. but details have to be worked out.

SO come to Florida for vacation and kill a few snakes to pay for you hotel and Disney Park admissions. And snake skins are good exotic leather for boots and purses.
But granny Madre is not going to be hunting no snakes anytime soon and I hope I don't run into one of those pythons minding my own business.

I have lived with these gators for years now.....so I guess I will get used to the pythons.
They have made it from the Everglades upstate to the county below me. Maybe they won't come to this county.

I HOPE.......LOL

BUT it is not the snakes fault. HUMANS did this!!!!!!

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
BUT it is not the snakes fault. HUMANS did this!!!!!!
People = shit.
As a responsible snake owner, I hate to say it, but these actions will eventually lead to these types of pets becoming illegal. Just like certain dog breeds. And the majority will say it'll be for the better. Once again we responsible pet owners will suffer for a few morons, who always seem to screw it up for the rest of us. To all irresponsible pet owners out there, F**K OFF ASSHOLES. Do the rest of humanity a favor and drop dead, f**k waste.. :mad:

madrecinco

Veteran
People = shit.
As a responsible snake owner, I hate to say it, but these actions will eventually lead to these types of pets becoming illegal. Just like certain dog breeds. And the majority will say it'll be for the better. Once again we responsible pet owners will suffer for a few morons, who always seem to screw it up for the rest of us. To all irresponsible pet owners out there, F**K OFF ASSHOLES. Do the rest of humanity a favor and drop dead, f**k waste.. :mad:

I have nothing against the responsible owner of reptiles. Lots of reptile lovers out there. But don't let them upset the balance of nature in the Everglades as it is quite a unique place. I love the airboat ride with the Seminoles. But I guess I am to girly girl to not be afraid of pythons.

But I do love basically and respect natures animals. Just afraid of loose snakes. I AM A WUSS I guess!:wallbash:

You won't see granny doing that Britney Spears snake dance!

the ecological disruption caused by burmese pythons will end up being much less than the majority of other invasives in southern florida.....south florida ecology is a grand experiment right now and for people who enjoy watching the re-structuring of a novel ecology it is a down right exciting time. I have actually taken vacations to south florida just to witness these "exotics" in the wild. The ditches (and even the entirety of the everglades) are filled with tropical fish, the forests infiltrated by all forms of alien plant species. The fact of the matter is that burms are just the biggest and feed peoples fear about snakes. A burmese python presents very little danger to a human and they most likely will feed on medium sized mammals such as the invasive nutria. Ecological management of south flordia is far beyond trying to remove all of these invasive species so maybe a change of perception is needed and we should try to appreciate and learn from the historic evolutionary episode that is now taking place in south florida. I know i would travel to florida just to have the opportunity to see one of these magnificent creatures living in the wilds.

madrecinco

Veteran
Well I do very much enjoy our jaunts in the Everglades and it really gets you back to nature. Anybody who comes to Florida.....and EVERYBODY eventually does. Be sure to spend time in the beautiful "river of grass"

The Seminoles do guided tours that are great.
It really is quite unique. My hubs just bought a new Canon XSI camera and he loves to do nature shots. I will post really good shots here of our nature jaunts for you reptile lovers here..

Latest posts

Latest posts