Florida Growers Thread; Reloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
How Medical Marijuana Would Work in Florida

How Medical Marijuana Would Work in Florida

swamp you got me looking and I found this:

Monday’s Florida Supreme Court ruling puts medical marijuana on the November general election ballot. If the proposed constitutional amendment passes by at least 60 percent of the vote, state health officials will have to sort out many details before patients can legally obtain pot. Some specifics, however, are outlined in the proposed amendment. Here is what is known about how medical marijuana would work in Florida:

Who could use medical marijuana?

A person with a doctor’s certificate stating that the patient qualifies for medical marijuana. The Florida Department of Health would issue an identification card to be shown at purchase. The card would let law enforcement know the patient can possess amounts set by law.

What medical conditions would qualify?

Specific diseases or other ” debilitating” conditions for which the doctor thinks benefits of use would outweigh risk. Cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, ALS, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Crohn’s disease are all specified.

When could a patient start legally using marijuana?

The effective date of the amendment is Jan. 6. After that date, the Department of Health must implement regulations within six months and begin issuing identification cards within nine months. If the department fails to issue cards within nine months, the doctor’s certification will serve as identification.

How much marijuana could a patient possess?

That will be determined by the Department of Health, based on what is ” reasonably presumed to be an adequate supply.” Patients who think they need more could appeal. Marijuana, oil, tinctures and cannabis-laced food products would be allowed.

How would a patient fill a prescription?

There will be no prescriptions because marijuana is not an FDA-approved medicine with controlled doses. It would be more like an over-the-counter herb. Certifying doctors must be licensed in Florida and perform a physical exam and ” full assessment of a patient’s history,” but the amendment does not require doctors and patients to have an ongoing relationship.

Where would medical marijuana be sold?

Only at state-licensed dispensaries called ” Medical Treatment Centers.” Growers would also be licensed as treatment centers. The Department of Health would issue rules about how dispensaries would be monitored. Growing your own pot would remain illegal, as it is under current law.

What if the Department of Health writes regulations so restrictive
that usage is effectively banned?

The department must issue ” timely” and ” reasonable” rules that ” ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients.” If the regulations are too restrictive, any Florida citizen could sue to enforce constitutional intent.

Can caregivers possess marijuana?
A person over 21 can buy and handle the marijuana on behalf of up to five patients. Caregivers would have an identification card issued by the state.

How old must a patient be?

The amendment does not set age limits. In other states, use by minors requires parental consent, as with traditional medicinal treatments.

Would insurance cover it?

That would be up to the insurer. The amendment does not require coverage. Medicare does not cover nonprescription drugs and supplements.

What about using it at work or in schools?

Schools and employers would be free to prohibit on-site use. The amendment does not prohibit employers from requiring drug tests or imposing sanctions for positive results.

Would information on identification cards be public?

No. The Department of Health must keep records confidential, even from employers or family members. But the information could be disclosed for ” valid medical or law enforcement purposes.”

Could the Legislature set up its own system to regulate medical marijuana?

Yes, but it could not contradict the amendment. For example, the Legislature could not make dispensaries illegal. However, it could permit home cultivation, which is now banned by statute.

Could the Florida Supreme Court ruling on the ballot language be
appealed?

Not successfully. Federal courts leave interpretation of state constitutions to state courts.

Could pot-smoking in public be regulated just as cigarette
smoking is regulated?

Yes. Calling it medicine does not confer the right to use pot anywhere.

What about DUI?

Driving under the influence of ” medical” marijuana would still be illegal, as with alcohol .

damn, I sure jacked the text all up, hope you folks can read it lol

Hugh,
Definitely options the State can put into place. I do know there have been meetings in Tallahassee in case this goes into law. Hopefully Jeff Clemons will be involved as he has submitted bills the past 2 or 3 years for MMJ. There is NO need for the State to start from scratch, take the best from the current states and get rid of the nonsense some states have put into place. The senior population will be the hardest to get a reasonably priced structure for them. Most seniors will not be able to afford $300/oz at the dispensaries like I saw in Maine, thus the caregivers were the biggest providers. It will be all about the money, educate the politicians on how to maximize that without being dumbasses and they should buyin.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
I'm golden...my doctor told me not to quit smoking pot...he's a good dude...

Jnugg

Veteran
Would the treatment centers sell all the ganja goods just like in Cali?

Read

swamp you got me looking and I found this:

Monday’s Florida Supreme Court ruling puts medical marijuana on the November general election ballot. If the proposed constitutional amendment passes by at least 60 percent of the vote, state health officials will have to sort out many details before patients can legally obtain pot. Some specifics, however, are outlined in the proposed amendment. Here is what is known about how medical marijuana would work in Florida:

Who could use medical marijuana?

A person with a doctor’s certificate stating that the patient qualifies for medical marijuana. The Florida Department of Health would issue an identification card to be shown at purchase. The card would let law enforcement know the patient can possess amounts set by law.

What medical conditions would qualify?

Specific diseases or other ” debilitating” conditions for which the doctor thinks benefits of use would outweigh risk. Cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, ALS, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Crohn’s disease are all specified.

When could a patient start legally using marijuana?

The effective date of the amendment is Jan. 6. After that date, the Department of Health must implement regulations within six months and begin issuing identification cards within nine months. If the department fails to issue cards within nine months, the doctor’s certification will serve as identification.

How much marijuana could a patient possess?

That will be determined by the Department of Health, based on what is ” reasonably presumed to be an adequate supply.” Patients who think they need more could appeal. Marijuana, oil, tinctures and cannabis-laced food products would be allowed.

How would a patient fill a prescription?

There will be no prescriptions because marijuana is not an FDA-approved medicine with controlled doses. It would be more like an over-the-counter herb. Certifying doctors must be licensed in Florida and perform a physical exam and ” full assessment of a patient’s history,” but the amendment does not require doctors and patients to have an ongoing relationship.

Where would medical marijuana be sold?

Only at state-licensed dispensaries called ” Medical Treatment Centers.” Growers would also be licensed as treatment centers. The Department of Health would issue rules about how dispensaries would be monitored. Growing your own pot would remain illegal, as it is under current law.

What if the Department of Health writes regulations so restrictive
that usage is effectively banned?

The department must issue ” timely” and ” reasonable” rules that ” ensure the availability and safe use of medical marijuana by qualifying patients.” If the regulations are too restrictive, any Florida citizen could sue to enforce constitutional intent.

Can caregivers possess marijuana?
A person over 21 can buy and handle the marijuana on behalf of up to five patients. Caregivers would have an identification card issued by the state.

How old must a patient be?

The amendment does not set age limits. In other states, use by minors requires parental consent, as with traditional medicinal treatments.

Would insurance cover it?

That would be up to the insurer. The amendment does not require coverage. Medicare does not cover nonprescription drugs and supplements.

What about using it at work or in schools?

Schools and employers would be free to prohibit on-site use. The amendment does not prohibit employers from requiring drug tests or imposing sanctions for positive results.

Would information on identification cards be public?

No. The Department of Health must keep records confidential, even from employers or family members. But the information could be disclosed for ” valid medical or law enforcement purposes.”

Could the Legislature set up its own system to regulate medical marijuana?

Yes, but it could not contradict the amendment. For example, the Legislature could not make dispensaries illegal. However, it could permit home cultivation, which is now banned by statute.

Could the Florida Supreme Court ruling on the ballot language be
appealed?

Not successfully. Federal courts leave interpretation of state constitutions to state courts.

Could pot-smoking in public be regulated just as cigarette
smoking is regulated?

Yes. Calling it medicine does not confer the right to use pot anywhere.

What about DUI?

Driving under the influence of ” medical” marijuana would still be illegal, as with alcohol .

damn, I sure jacked the text all up, hope you folks can read it lol

And also http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/.../docu.../sc13-2006.pdf

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
My Doc said marijuana is the best pain killer their is. That was in 2012.

Last edited:
I just had a visit to my Rheumatologist and asked what their take on MMJ now that it will be on the ballot this year. They had a pamphlet ready to hand out right then. I pushed for a better than a canned answer. Their take was it was going to be classified under "pain management" and this office was already not a participating "pain management" facility. It seems in FL in order to prescribe pain meds you have to be a registered facility, or that was another canned answer. My Oncologist is already onboard after the discussion we had and he provided some insight from 2 points of view. First as a Dr. who sees cancer patients and knows that MMJ has a place in that realm of treatment. Second was as a business owner (he is part owner of the center), how does he manage employees who may be MMJ patients and they medicate on the job? That was a VERY interesting conversation.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
...how does he manage employees who may be MMJ patients and they medicate on the job?...

how does he handle those same employees who may be taking opiate pain killers or muscle relaxers to stop muscle spasms.

EDIT: I think most assume that a Medical Cannabis patient stays stoned out of their mind and that is flat wrong. just point him to a long time federal mmj patient, Irv Rosenfels, in Miami who maintains a professional job.

peace

Just found a posting by Jeff Clemens. He is working on submitting a Bill for Medical Cannabis this term.
Bits and pieces of what he is working on. Hopefully the full Bill verbage to be released in the next week or so.

Would a patient be able to grow? Yes. Eight mature plants and eight immature plants

What about caregivers? Caregivers can represent up to 3 patients

Good news that a more realistic viewpoint and policy is being addressed by an educated politician.

Jnugg

Veteran
Just found a posting by Jeff Clemens. He is working on submitting a Bill for Medical Cannabis this term.
Bits and pieces of what he is working on. Hopefully the full Bill verbage to be released in the next week or so.

Would a patient be able to grow? Yes. Eight mature plants and eight immature plants

What about caregivers? Caregivers can represent up to 3 patients

Good news that a more realistic viewpoint and policy is being addressed by an educated politician.

I like the sound of that.Care to share the source?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
how does he handle those same employees who may be taking opiate pain killers or muscle relaxers to stop muscle spasms.

EDIT: I think most assume that a Medical Cannabis patient stays stoned out of their mind and that is flat wrong. just point him to a long time federal mmj patient, Irv Rosenfels, in Miami who maintains a professional job.

peace

i go to work high every day, went to the interview and drug test high too :) i know more people than you can shake a stick at, literally, your arm would fall off before you shook it to all of em. that are professionals and smoke more weed than i do and are high all day. i'm talking your garbage man all the way to ceo's of companies you've heard of. everyone smokes, everyone is high at work, i don't really get this charade.

i'll assume mature means what it's always meant. flowering. ^^^ in response.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
everyone smokes, everyone is high at work, i don't really get this charade.

I don't go to work high, just doesn't work for me - but that's me. My roommate in college got stoned everyday before class or home work and graduated with honors with an engineering degree. It just worked for him.

That said, I've been stoned out of my mind on cold/flu medicine (actually to the point where I wanted to leave work but was afraid to drive) and nobody batted an eye. It really is a charade.

Catatafish

Veteran
I find smoking helps with the flu/bad colds. Since you dont eat much and dont move much....a nice session brings on the munchies and gives some motivation to move around = ie start to feel/get better :)

They were showing some local guy that made a butter machine on the news tonight. "Magical Butter".

This is really starting to get a bunch of coverage since the court ok'd for ballot. It seems there is at least 1 story in news everyday now about it.

Gonna be some interesting times soon.

GrownOut

HDGC
Veteran
Grown Out, any word on the triangle trips yet? Im jonesin for some triangles!

Not much longer. I have all the packs ready to go just waiting to see how this pheno #6 finishes up and hopefully getting some more feedback from Morecheeba and Hugh Midity as well. The Pheno #6 has about 2-3 weeks left and she gets the chop.

Here are a couple pics of the Triangle Trip Pheno #1 with a 3 month cure. There are more in my album.

picture.php

picture.php

-G/O :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts