What's new

Flood and drain with smart pots / hydroton?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wassup Alpha ??? I just read through your thread to get some tips & whatnot cuz i'm switching over to hydro myself . it seems our styles are not much all that different , so as i go I may be hitting you up for some tips if ya don't mind .
i'm doing preveg in 5" net pots of hydroton in a 4 x 4 flood tray filled with hydroton too , 40 gallon rez , flood times will be 15 minutes every 3 hrs . it takes 7 minutes to fill the tray & 8 minutes to drain .
picture.php

then once they have a decent root system , i'll put them in the 3 gallon square fabric pots made for the titan flo & grow buckets . they fit right inside the net pots made for the buckets . & they'll go into my deeper tray to veg untill ready for flower .
both 40 gallon rez's have a 185gph pump in them on a timer to recirculate the nute mix & to keep some 02 in there as well .

picture.php

picture.php

well , thats the plan anyways ..... i'm still waiting o my clones to root in the EZcloner before i can get this up & running . i have tested the trays & flood times to make sure thats all in order before i start filling them up with plants .

picture.php

in flower , i will have the titan flo & gro systems set up in each tent under 2k watts .

picture.php

so , what do ya think brutha ??? sound feasable to you ?
i've done alot of research on this & have 2 buddies running this system & the one guy vegges similar to me , just smaller trays for the 5" net pots , so i think i'm in good shape to get going .

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
In a flood and drain system?

Bullshit.

If you're actually using marbles in such, you're aggressively being a dick head to your plants and abusing them.

Use a real growing media and you'll grow better weed.

cheers
Medium-less, linked bucket, flood and drain roots!
:biggrin:
picture.php

bad rabbit...u a rw seller? u say rw better than hydroton? well rw holds more water than coco, and coco enf/smartpots: too wet imo. drip might work if not too wet. pumice is cheap here in Oregon, great for enf. maybe 3 times a day flood quickly. hydroton enf maybe every 3 hrs? maybe. dwc means chiller expense if u can get roots goin. im doin comparison of pumice enf vs coco drip. I tried enf coco/smartpots, too wet, fewer buds. air at rootzone helps a lot. in pumice or hydroton enf I might add tad bit clean coco (10-20%) to hold more moisture. im choosing pumice or hydroton enf, or coco/perlite multidrip. hmmm im thinkin pumice enf might be best yield. dwc too hard for me. takes root scientist and ice or chiller...good yield but finicky imho

enf most my life. rez temp may help cuz in winter my stuff does better when rez cooler. im thinkin rez around 70 or lower could help. gonna try and see. ive done enf in rw but seems too wet maybe. since dwc does excellent if u experienced, and enf good, I may try pumice again. im thinking gotta keep things cleaner by plain warm water rinses weekly. I think that might improve things. ive learned about too much heat/light....mite heaven.

ive tried rw cubes, and they hold too much water. coco/perlite too. we talking ebb and flow. more frequent floods with drier media seemed better for me. hydroton might dry too fast unless fed 4 or more times per day. pumice seems great and its cheap in Oregon. all media needs rinsed before use basically. smart pots are superior in every way I think. roots airprune easily and don't circle the bottom. I might do a side by side with hydroton and pumice (in smarts this try). during heavy flowering plants seem to use twice as much watering than smaller plants...I once 'underwatered' a coco mix in 2 gal smarts. it wilted few days before finish. wow. doin 5 gal coco but never again. 3 gal just right says goldy-lox. I will never go over 3 gal ever again. will adjust feed frequency as needed.

who am I? a nobody BUT I submit that rockwool holds more water than coco or hydroton. ebb-n-flow best on hydroton. rw and coco best on drip. that's my opinion. im 65, grown all my life trying everything. aero and dwc faster but more difficult... enf best for average joe.

wwfjdraw

I read the 8 pages, seems nothing to do with Blumat, guess that means I will be the first. I currently have 4 plants in my grow tent. I have 3 Blumat cones and 1 Terraponic table. I suppose the current plan before it goes in to effect is to take the plants that are just seedlings and place them from the peat pellets in to pots that are 1 gallon (or as close to 1 gallon as possible), filled with hydroton and coco and place on the Terraponic bed. I am going to plug up the holes of the bed with something so that it takes less feed to fill it to the trench lines of where the pots will absorb the feed, the Blumat cone will sit in the biggest trench in the middle and will fill up the trench from the cones feed line that comes with Blumat, this will be my first time feeding an entire Terraponic bed trench lines with just one cone and my first time using a Terraponic bed period. There will be no air pump like DWC, I don't think that will be necessary. Please share your thoughts.

Latest posts

Latest posts