What's new

FLIR - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
I keep reading FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared Radar) can look through walls.

It cannot!

And a few more things those who grow should be interested in learning about.

Good luck to you all!
icon14.gif

Link:

FLIR Technology Description

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
^^^^^^^That 2nd picture is wild!

With appropriate insulation one wouldn't be able to see/detect squat!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can't see through but it sure as hell can see the enormous amount of radiant infrared heat generated by HPS lights that is absorbed into the surrounding barrier surfaces which account for the temperature differences. From the air with FLIR it's not too hard to spot.

Sleep good at night and grow with quality LED lights, basically undetectable under standard room conditions and no IR being radiated into surrounding surfaces.

A room within a room is the safest way to grow and very hard to detect with FLIR, meaning a thermally protected IR blocking grow tent like a Growlab that is inside a bigger room cooled with air conditioning so it remains consistent with the rest of the surrounding house area. If you do this with LED lights there is 0% chance of being detected by FLIR.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

Sleep good at night and grow with quality LED lights, basically undetectable under standard room conditions and no IR being radiated into surrounding surfaces.

I am not going to get in to a "pissing contest" regarding pro's & con's of LED lights but there are a TON of reasons LED's haven't gotten established in the market.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
Yeah SOTF420,

Growlab tents, new heat shield covers for the hoods, new insulated ducting materials, new ballast coolers that fit inline with ducting, water cooling of the hoods with Ice Boxes mean no outside venting of hot air, use of Polyisocyanurate insulated sheeting on walls and ceiling, etc...... Lots of stuff out there to reduce or eliminate the IR footprint.

supermanlives

Veteran
flir is easilly beaten. my friend was flown over with 30k going and not a hit. he later was charged and raided due to a rat tho. flir dont bother me at all .not one bit

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
StrainHunter, right now the biggest obstacle is the high cost of quality LED growlights.

I love HPS, and I loved HID lights plus used them for many grows with fantastic results in the past but after making a switch over the LED benefits far outweigh any inherent drawbacks. :canabis:

growfr

It makes me think of the weeds episode when they found the giant illuminated cross in Nancy's grow house. With a grow that big and no shielding, they are making it easy for the rest of us to sleep at night.
Thanks dumbass!

i am bumping this because now i see they have hand held units for $1500 and that means even Barney Fife can afford one here in Podunk. Here's a pic, but you could just as well google Flir for images:
fli299_01.jpeg

this made me about shit because i have my 1KW MH about six feet in front of a window with just two blankets in front of it. so i, being on a main drag, can just imagine Barney driving down every street in town with that thing out the window. FUCK!

i Realize this pic shows the windows open but there are plenty like the second post above. They would be able to see the silhouettes of each plant in front of the light and get an idea how big your op is. let alone what a military FLIR can do in a helo.

I am either moving this light to the back of my house or getting some of that insulated mylar like crap at lowes, they sell it to wrap your water heaters. how i got away with this for three years is beyond me.

you should be more worried about the new x ray trucks that are being implemented and brought from warzones to the real targets..the american people

C

cannarelief

Has anyone used/heard of anyone using HRV/ERV -air to air heat exchangers to deal with lowering exhaust temps? Small ones are around $600 or so.

SMOKE-ONE

StrainHunter, right now the biggest obstacle is the high cost of quality LED growlights.

I love HPS, and I loved HID lights plus used them for many grows with fantastic results in the past but after making a switch over the LED benefits far outweigh any inherent drawbacks. :canabis:
Could you recommend a LED line.All the ones I've seen (only seen a couple) didnt produce quality, dense bud.But I would be willing to try something new if it will offer the benefits of low power usage/low heat,regardless of the price.That's if it could produce quality bud.Also what's the best FLIR blocker to use for the walls?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
:bow: Lumigrow ES 330, it's made like a tank with the best of the best components here in the USA (in Cali actually) they are equivalent to somewhere between a 400 to 600 HPS all day and they grow some kickass plants & buds. They work excellent, & they use the stated power also. 5 year warranty on the 330 model! :tiphat:

If you are very worried about FLIR, then LED is the direction you might want to go. :good:

C

CLOWD11

Just dont forget to buy some T5s and maybe some far-red lights to fill in the missing spectrums of the lumi. What do use with your lumi SOTF420?
Why you need a light built like a tank is another worry, for the price of one tank i could buy 2 quality lights providing more coverage and qualtiy spectrum.
The heat signal of LED grows would still be visible in my case for FLIR. My cab is built against an external brick wall and that grow space sits at around 75f while outside it could be 40f. I assume the heat of the bricks would show easily where the cab is located. Insultaion like R13 batts between grow space and walls is a must if FLIR is used for hunting grows imo. Youd also have to consider where your exhausted air ends up as well.

A

ak-51

hmmm. I am thinking that actually owning one of these would be a good pro-active security measure. You could use the tool LE would use to check your own shit out before they do and fix the problem before it gets worse. I guess it could also be useful for analyzing heat distribution inside your tent or room.

I myself don't have the money for that, and I'm rather small fish-ish, but I think I would look into it if I were running a lot more.