What's new

Fish Hydrolysate

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Citric, Sulfuric or Phosphoric acid - I would opt for the Citric acid myself but then I would lose the higher 'P' from the Phosphoric acid, right?

That could be troubling for NPK believers......

O

OrganicOzarks

Citric, Sulfuric or Phosphoric acid - I would opt for the Citric acid myself but then I would lose the higher 'P' from the Phosphoric acid, right?

That could be troubling for NPK believers......

I had read that Companies tend to use the phosphoric instead of the citric because citric is not as stable over long periods.
Any truth to this?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
OrganicOzarks

That makes sense because Citric acid is about 10% the price of Phosphoric acid so if Citric acid was on par then they would be using it.

If you wanted to avoid stabilizers across the board then you could opt for Dan Aykroyd's famous Bass-O-Matic machine. Talk about fresh fish slurry!

i got a bottle at a nursery made by bonide i think.. it says alaskan fish something on it but claims to be a hydrosylate and not an emulsion. i remember asking about it before and got mixed answers. so im still curious about it.

i usually use the eco nutrients brand but its harder to find and i have to order it most of the time. if that bonide brand bottle is the same stuff it would be a lot better for me cuz its cheap and easy to get.

general organics has a liquid squid i think thats cold processed, ive been curious about this one as well?

thanks for any info.

C

CT Guy

I have switched to only using dry inputs into my teas. Under the scope everything looks a-ok. It took me a while to figure out how much fish powder to use, but once i did I would never switch back(unless I could not get the powder form of course).

I wanted to get away from using any liquids at all. It took a while, but I am very happy with the results of my dry inputs.

What rates are you using for the fish? Is it in conjunction with other ingredients? I'd be curious in attempting to replicate your results and checking it with the microscope on my end.

O

OrganicOzarks

What rates are you using for the fish? Is it in conjunction with other ingredients? I'd be curious in attempting to replicate your results and checking it with the microscope on my end.

I use 2 grams for every 5 gallons of brew. I use a 3 part compost mix, along with kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and guano.

Into that I put sucanat, a humic product(just started using bio-ag ful humix because of clackamas. The shit works wonders:)), and the dry fish powder.

No liquid inputs at all. I don't miss liquid fish, or molasses.

C

CT Guy

Have you tried just a compost and control and then a compost and the dried fish? That's the best way to determine if the important variable is actually the fish product and not all the other ingredients you're adding.

When I did that, I got no increased microbial activity with the fish (I expected a lot of fungal growth) than with the control.

Though I didn't replicate this result due to lack of time.

O

OrganicOzarks

Have you tried just a compost and control and then a compost and the dried fish? That's the best way to determine if the important variable is actually the fish product and not all the other ingredients you're adding.

When I did that, I got no increased microbial activity with the fish (I expected a lot of fungal growth) than with the control.

Though I didn't replicate this result due to lack of time.

My control was my standard mix(which I listed) using the liquid instead of the powder. I did brews with the liquid, and with the powder, and I got the powder to perform just as well as the liquid once I tweaked the amounts.

All of the other things in my mix are standard for me. As long as I use the exact same amounts of everything else, and the only difference is the fish product then you will get readable results.

I bought 5lb.s of fish powder, and I have not gone through a ziplock bag of it yet. I average 4-5 brews per week. Right now I am brewing in my 10 gallon brewer as I am trying to nail down the design.

I was using my 5 gallon brewer, but I have already got the design for that one down.

Once it warms up I will be working with my 30 gallon, and 50 gallon brewer. I expect that my ratio for fish powder could be different once I get to those sizes. Can't wait to start messing around with those. Won't be able to until March or April due to temps.

I just got a camera attachment for my DSLR. Everyone was playing with all of their toys, and gifts, and here I am with some compost tea, my scope, and laptop, taking pictures, and video.

Was the best Christmas I can remember:)

so Organic Gem isn't some bullshit snake oil? i hope not cuz i just got 4 litres of that stinky shit! supposed to be good, i'll give it a go.

Latest posts

Latest posts