What's new

first time/ppk

Permacultuure

Veteran
I have zero formal training. My dad showed me how to wire a circuit when I was 12. A wall outlet when I was 15. Other than that all other information I needed was found online. I didn't have anyone to guide me through my sub panel installation, but after reading here and other places I felt confident I could pull it off.

Electrical work such as this is very simple. As long as people use wire/outlets/etc rated for the current they will be using, which is very easy to determine most of the time its on the packaging... It is literally connecting wires together with a screw driver.

There is no crazy logic like a computer. We aren't even talking about wiring relay circuits.

120v has 3 wires. 240v has 3 or 4. They are color coded...

If this is over your head please dont proceed. im done :deadhorse

No doubt, I've done all my own electrical with backwoods training. I just thought the option I presented was a safe alternative to that. Rives made it clear I was wrong and I'm glad he stepped in and flexed his electrical prowess!

Permacultuure

Veteran
It is possible for someone with a decent amount of mechanical ability to do what LSWM recommended. I am a retired industrial electrician and have talked lots of people through their work on here. While I would always recommend having an electrician do it, many people simply aren't in a position where that works for them. This kind of thing is really pretty basic, and as long as people pay attention to what they are told about grounding, overcurrent protection, the amperage rating of the components, and making tight connections, then they are very likely to wind up with a piece of equipment that is far safer than the one that you linked to. Of course, there are people that shouldn't ever pick up a screwdriver......

The thing that is worrisome to me about equipment like the CAP/Hydrofarm controller is that people do not even understand that they don't conform to any applicable safety standards. None of the regulatory agencies would touch CAP's crap with a 10' pole - they thought that it was ingenious to "invent" a universal plug that would take any plug that was 15a or 20a, 120v or 240v. The fact that it thumbed it's nose at 100 years of electrical rules never entered the equation. Of course, they very carefully state that they will bear no responsibility for any losses associated with it's usage.

Sorry if I came off harsh earlier, but I get a little thin-skinned about electrical safety and companies that are taking advantage of a customer base that they know they are immune to any liability from.

Thank you for the heads up on the controllers. Looks like its time to re wire a few rooms ;) hopefully I can bounce a few questions off you Rives. I've done my fair share of wiring but I never feel confident when I'm testing it. Much love!!:tiphat:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the heads up on the controllers. Looks like its time to re wire a few rooms ;) hopefully I can bounce a few questions off you Rives. I've done my fair share of wiring but I never feel confident when I'm testing it. Much love!!:tiphat:

Feel free to holler whenever a question arises. The "Growroom Electricity & Wiring" sticky has a wealth of information in it, and I monitor it for questions. That or a PM will make sure that I see it - I sometimes miss new threads with questions in them.

Thank you all for your help and comments.....I have decided it will be best to wait until I have the money and knowledge to complete the tasks at hand....safety first......rives your the man....perma I love u bro:biggrin:......I've got the bottom built still have to do top buckets..Will try to take some pics when I get off work.....much love too all....:ying::biggrin: