What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time hydro

blackone

Veteran
Thanks for the tips everyone - I'm not gonna be buying supplies before next month but I'm sure the plants will be ok because they're getting better every day.
Anyway I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing an N def - I know those and they typically start on lower leaves. This yellowing was a lot different - starting in new leaves turning the shooting tips very light, exactly like the iron def pics I've seen. Also N is hardly ever locked out and there is plenty of N in the Hornum fertilizer.
Btw I don't have thrips or spidermites - I have thrips AND spidermites and I've been living with them for some time.

G

growcodile

thrips you can wipe out with 1 ! application of spinosad .. i also had them for 1+ year and wiped 'em with that in 1 go :D

CaStoner

I haven't posted here in awhile, but appears to me like early Cal/Mag def if your using R/O water get some Cal/Mag or just buy a box of garden lime.

There's ph problems and Mag def there. The light green new growth plus interveinal chlorosis shows that. The plants should all be the deep green color like the leaves in the lower left of your last pic. For the ph you just need to figure out where it's at and what it's doing. I'd guess it's too high and you'd be better off using a stronger ph down like sulfuric acid from a car store (autozone or similar) for $10.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Azamax or Azatrol can be used to organically get rid of your thrips/mites.

Mix it at 1ml/gallon in the res.

Put a cloth down to cover any places the spray can drip into your res and spray the plants with 5ml/gallon, a capful of 90% isopropyl alcohol and a couple drops of dish detergent.
You want to add enough drops of detergent so that a drop of water spreads and sticks to a leaf... instead of beading up and rolling off.
Don't get any solution with isopropyl into your res. Bad stuff for your roots.

Spray twice each week for 3 weeks to make sure you break their life cycle. Spray every exposed section of the plant. Gets rid of eggs, webs, flies, gnats, root-aphids and mites (over time). Mites, aphids and gnats don't always die right away... that's ok, they will in time.

Clean the room of all non-growing items and you'll really prefer clean smooth surfaces that are easy to clean. Wipe them all down with a 10% bleach/water solution.

Dose the res again in 20-30 days with 1ml/gallon.

Your plants will love you for it and your insect issues will be organically gone. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

NeWcS

My question to you would be how do you expect to transplant your vegged plants? I'd have to imagine that all your roots have become one big ball of roots?

blackone

Veteran
Thanks for the tips everyone. So far the plants are looking better and greener by the day and when my payroll comes it's time for some real canna nutes and some PH control. Oh yeah and it's gonna be time to put some of the ladies in flower:)
Anyway the Hornum I'm using at the moment is used by professional gardeners and contains everything a plant needs for vegging (as long as PH is in check that is). When I went from Biobizz to Hornum in my soil grows the plants started vegging much better and showing less deficiency problems.
But still I think I want to try out a canna specific fert for vegging also - someone told me to try AN PH perfect and when I read up on them I saw that it contains humic and fulvic acid which is probably key to how they work because I've never had serious PH problems with soil.
I might also start up some experiments with "dirty hydro"... growing in some sort of aereated soil sludge.

blackone

Veteran
Damn it pains me to look back at this thread.
I didn't do anything about these plants - basically I just forgot to keep up with the water and they died. Before that they were growing very well - I switched to AN PH perfect and it was really working wonders. I even used them to cut a huge batch of clones (those clones died too because of my lazyness).

They have been standing there ever since - only yesterday did I manage to find the energy to remove the shit.

A grow from seed (because I killed the clones) was completely seeded very small plants because I "forgot" to remove males and "forgot" to pot up and "forgot" to give water and nutes. They're still standing in the dark closet - dry and unharvested - but thankfully not moldy at all (probably because they're so small rofl)

I also almost lost my mothers to neglect but managed to save 1 sweet tooth and 1 c99 that I put outside in buckets hoping for the best when I went for a vacation for 3 weeks. I came back to find them healthier than I've seen any weed I've grown for a long time.
So yesterday I cleaned out some of my mess and cut a new batch of clones. 20 swt#3 and 8 c99.

blackone

Veteran
mag def is your leaf problem
I believe you're right - that's consistent with the result I got when adding vinegar. Anyway the PH Perfect worked like a charm - I'll be using that for a flower round in dwc and if it works out for flowering too then I probably won't look back.

ruls

When you started ...

What do you have in pots? + Tablet? +?

Where did you buy a Ph tester and which. (or even bought some different tester?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Latest posts