What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grower, worring about Leave color changes!

CH2K

Hello Everyone I got 3 feminized seeds from my dealer and have been trying to grow,
can someone please let me know if this is from a pest or what kind of damage it is ? this is my first time growing Canabis, my first seedling died 2 weeks ago because of heat stress so I got proper equipment for these two but one is so short hasn't gotten higher but the other one is stretching (the less bushy one it's younger but bigger) and is just so much bigger comparably.
the soil is general tomato mix pH is 5.5 (trying to reach six but don't know how to not over do it) and I water only when the soil is mostly dry with around 5mm of sand on top to stop the flies and there is a 1000 w led growth panel 2 meters (78 Inch) away from the plants and the growth room temperature and humidity are 20-25 C (68-77) and around 60 percent most of the time. if I need anything else let me know, I'm just a bit stressed right now.

Resolved: new problem at https://www.icmag.com/threads/first...ut-leave-color-changes.18127275/post-18374467

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hello Everyone I got 3 feminized seeds from my dealer and have been trying to grow,
can someone please let me know if this is from a pest or what kind of damage it is ? this is my first time growing Canabis, my first seedling died 2 weeks ago because of heat stress so I got proper equipment for these two but one is so short hasn't gotten higher but the other one is stretching (the less bushy one it's younger but bigger) and is just so much bigger comparably.
the soil is general tomato mix pH is 5.5 (trying to reach six but don't know how to not over do it) and I water only when the soil is mostly dry with around 5mm of sand on top to stop the flies and there is a 1000 w led growth panel 2 meters (78 Inch) away from the plants and the growth room temperature and humidity are 20-25 C (68-77) and around 60 percent most of the time. if I need anything else let me know, I'm just a bit stressed right now.
I would like to know more information:

- pH and EC of the water/nutrients and soil.
- what brand of nutrients are used
- what the strain is
- the medium, which brand of "general tomato mix"

First thing off:

- the large hole in the seedling is either from an insect (a large one, not mites, aphids of whitefly, more like a caterpillar, cricket or large leafhopper) or accidental damage.

- the pH is very low.

This is best remedied in the medium by adding a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime before planting, two tablespoons in case of soft water.

- the medium. It is always best not to economize on the medium.

It is the most important factor in growing, and there is no excuse not to use cannabis specific media and nutrients. Or go organic all the way and make your own supersoil or compost.

CH2K

I would like to know more information:

- pH and EC of the water/nutrients and soil.
- what brand of nutrients are used
- what the strain is
- the medium, which brand of "general tomato mix"

First thing off:

- the large hole in the seedling is either from an insect (a large one, not mites, aphids of whitefly, more like a caterpillar, cricket or large leafhopper) or accidental damage.

- the pH is very low.

This is best remedied in the medium by adding a tablespoon per gallon of magnesium lime before planting, two tablespoons in case of soft water.

- the medium. It is always best not to economize on the medium.

It is the most important factor in growing, and there is no excuse not to use cannabis specific media and nutrients. Or go organic all the way and make your own supersoil or compost.
PH of my water is 7.5 (I got the ph of soil again right now it's reaching to 5.7) nuts are almost the same reaching 7.5 , idk what EC is.
The nuts are 30-10-10 (evergreen brand white powder) and 20-20-20 (its a very small bottle with purple liquid no brand name, just numbers and expiry date) with a mineral supplements but I only added some mineral haven't added the npk mixures. the brand are local ones from my country, the strain is unknown, he just told me they are fresh, feminized and are indica.

regarding the medium, I just went into the garden shop and asked for a rich soil for tomatoes was a bit smelly but the smell stopped after a while, its 10kg of mix soil ,I have no idea what the mixture is but water was slowly getting out of the bottom so I didn't add anything else, I added very little pit moss around the side of the pot as well but that happened later. I wish I could get more of a specific medium for canabis but that's impossible in my country so I had to go with the closest thing I could think of, what other plant use similar to canabis soil or medium, so I can order some ?

some more info jic, the light cycle is 18/6, the pot is in a unused bathroom with a exhaust fan and a normal desk fan plus a humidifer, I live in the mountainous desert so hot days and very cold nights but idk if that matters indoors as the thermostat controls it.
regarding bugs I haven't seen any large bugs in my house really just normal flies every now and then, and the growth room is a white clean bathroom so idk, maybe I'm getting blind.

Last edited:

WingzHauser

Boron deficiency. Calcium always locks out B P or K in seedlings. Eventually excess Ca gets packed away in trichome necks and the plant can function.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
PH of my water is 7.5 (I got the ph of soil again right now it's reaching to 5.7) nuts are almost the same reaching 7.5 , idk what EC is.
EC or PPM measure the concentration of nutrients. It is very important to prevent accidental overfeeding, or read the runoff if problems show up.

Importantly, it also shows whether you have hard or soft water. 7.5 pH with an EC of 0.5 is different than with 0.2. It isn't just what pH the water is, but what it buffers to over time.

The nuts are 30-10-10 (evergreen brand white powder) and 20-20-20 (its a very small bottle with purple liquid no brand name, just numbers and expiry date) with a mineral supplements but I only added some mineral haven't added the npk mixures.

The first has too much nitrogen.

What happens is that cannabis specific media are tested with their nutrient lines to spot deficiencies or lockouts before the production process.

If you're matching and mixing media and nutrients, you're the one doing the experiment to see which nutrient deficiencies show up.

So it is easiest if you're starting out to just use a cannabis specific medium and it's line of nutrients.

If you want to grow organically, which is actually a lot easier for beginners, I can give you advice about that.

the brand are local ones from my country, the strain is unknown, he just told me they are fresh, feminized and are indica.

regarding the medium, I just went into the garden shop and asked for a rich soil for tomatoes was a bit smelly but the smell stopped after a while, its 10kg of mix soil ,I have no idea what the mixture is but water was slowly getting out of the bottom so I didn't add anything else, I added very little pit moss around the side of the pot as well but that happened later. I wish I could get more of a specific medium for canabis but that's impossible in my country so I had to go with the closest thing I could think of, what other plant use similar to canabis soil or medium, so I can order some ?

some more info jic, the light cycle is 18/6, the pot is in a unused bathroom with a exhaust fan and a normal desk fan plus a humidifer, I live in the mountainous desert so hot days and very cold nights but idk if that matters indoors as the thermostat controls it.

That's awesome. You should check out these Pakistani strains and consider growing organically outdoors.

The growing conditions these strains thrive in are insane. Ace Seeds also has these hardy desert strains. There are a lot of unique terpenes among these rare, isolated landraces.

regarding bugs I haven't seen any large bugs in my house really just normal flies every now and then, and the growth room is a white clean bathroom so idk,

Also using a water table keeps water away from the surface and unavailable to insects.

maybe I'm getting blind.

You should talk to Creeper Park about that.

CH2K

That's awesome. You should check out these Pakistani strains and consider growing organically outdoors.

The growing conditions these strains thrive in are insane. Ace Seeds also has these hardy desert strains. There are a lot of unique terpenes among these rare, isolated landraces.
That's like looking for trouble, people can easily see my outdoor garden from their apartments, I need indoor solutions, and it might be difficult for these mini seedlings to even see the sun with abundance of other plants in the garden.

Last edited:

goingrey

They don't look so bad, they'll be ok.

Hope your light has a dimmer. Those plants won't need 1000W anytime soon, well ever.

CH2K

They don't look so bad, they'll be ok.

Hope your light has a dimmer. Those plants won't need 1000W anytime soon, well ever.
Sadly its not dimmable, the chad growth lights normal growers use were so expansive, so I got ten 100w boards that was a tad cheaper and build it myself (it wasn't difficult just a cpu heatsink, heatsensor and a waterproof layer)
I used a power monitor and it was drawing ~1080 watts of the wall.

I basically increased the height of the lights until my hand wasn't warming up, this thing generates tons of heat so might be even better when fall hits.

Last edited:

goingrey

Too much light can cause issues for plants too.

But hey not a problem just have it covering a large area with a lot of plants. :D

CH2K

Too much light can cause issues for plants too.

But hey not a problem just have it covering a large area with a lot of plants. :D
I'm all over the place and every site gives a different advice, i thought seedlings need max light with barely any darkness>?

goingrey

I'm all over the place and every site gives a different advice, i thought seedlings need max light with barely any darkness>?
They need max light in the sense of long days. But can't handle the intensity or PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density). This could be your issue even.

Not sure which sites you have read but the few I quickly gleamed over all seem to agree on this. For example from hydro store Growace's website (not affiliated but to give due credit):
  • Between 200-400 PPFD: This is great for seedlings, clones, and mother plants.
  • Between 400-600 PPFD: This is great for early to late stage vegging cycles.
  • Between 600-900 PPFD: This is great for the flowering, fruiting, or budding stage of plants.
There are some phone apps you can use to measure PPFD.

CH2K

They need max light in the sense of long days. But can't handle the intensity or PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density). This could be your issue even.

Not sure which sites you have read but the few I quickly gleamed over all seem to agree on this. For example from hydro store Growace's website (not affiliated but to give due credit):
  • Between 200-400 PPFD: This is great for seedlings, clones, and mother plants.
  • Between 400-600 PPFD: This is great for early to late stage vegging cycles.
  • Between 600-900 PPFD: This is great for the flowering, fruiting, or budding stage of plants.
There are some phone apps you can use to measure PPFD.
how can I count the photons :( ?