What's new

First smoking lounges in the US to open in Oregon

Rolando Mota

The hits keep coming...

November 03, 2009, 8:50PM
As of next week, Oregon's medical-marijuana patients will have two smoke-easies in Portland in which to medicate and socialize, the first such places in the country to open since the federal government indicated that it will no longer arrest or prosecute patients and suppliers.

On Nov. 13, the Cannabis Cafe will open on the first floor of 700 N.E. Dekum St., to be operated by the state's chapter of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. Executive Director Madeline Martinez said the space has been a dream of hers for years.

"We're pretty danged excited about it," Martinez said.

The Cannabis Cafe will be the second public place for medical-marijuana patients to get together. On Oct. 1, Steve Geiger opened Highway 420, a small lounge at the back of his pipe shop at 6418 S.E. Foster Road.

"We've been kind of discreet about it. It's not something that we put out on a sign," Geiger said as he rang up customers Tuesday. "We've had great response in the neighborhood from people who are just happy they don't have to go all the way to 39th and Hawthorne" to buy pipes.

The pot lounges are the first of their kind in the nation, said Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the national NORML. California has dispensaries where medical marijuana can be purchased, but only Oregon will have public places where people can socialize and use marijuana.

On Oct. 19, Attorney General Eric Holder reversed years of practice by announcing that federal authorities will not pursue marijuana users in states with medical-marijuana programs. Geiger, of Highway 420, pointed out that Holder had been saying for months that he would drop marijuana prosecutions, so Geiger felt safe enough to open his lounge.

Martinez said the need for an Oregon community center for program participants became clear to her when she heard from patients from all over the state who came to Portland to visit a doctor or a hospital and had no place to medicate afterward.

"Do they go out into an alley and hide in the back of their car?" Martinez said. "There needs to be a place, much like our meetings are, where people can socialize and network."

Cardholders only

The cafe will open Nov. 13 at 4:20 p.m. -- the time being a cheeky reference to a code term for marijuana. Then the cafe will operate from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. To enter, a person must be a member of Oregon NORML and hold a card from the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program as a patient, caregiver or grower.

The cafe, in a restaurant space called Rumpspankers, is an extension of the twice-monthly cardholder meetings that Oregon NORML has hosted for seven years, first at the Mount Tabor Theater and for the last year upstairs at the Northeast Dekum address, in the Village Ballroom.

Martinez said she does not know how many people would visit the cafe. But at least 300 people attend the twice-monthly meetings. As of Oct. 1, 23,873 Oregonians are registered medical-marijuana patients, and another 12,245 people are registered caregivers.

Portland Police Bureau spokeswoman Mary Wheat said Tuesday that the police have had no reported criminal activity associated with the twice-monthly meetings.

Martinez said volunteers will staff the cafe and people will be able to get donated medical marijuana.

On-site monitoring

In Oregon, only patients with a qualifying debilitating medical condition -- chronic pain, cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, among others -- can participate in the medical marijuana program. Patients are not permitted to buy marijuana, but they can chip in on the growers' costs. While in the cafe, patients will be monitored and not permitted to leave for at least two hours after using.

"We don't want anyone to get too medicated," Martinez said.

Oregon NORML is structuring the cafe to avoid having money change hands anywhere, Martinez said. Before entering the cafe, a cardholder can buy a gift card of any denomination to buy coffee, food or other goods inside.

Oregon was the second state in the nation, after California, to create a medical-marijuana program, and now a dozen other states allow medical marijuana in some form: Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

On Tuesday, Maine voters were headed toward approving the legalization and regulation of dispensaries. New Mexico already does; Rhode Island is considering it. In 2010, Nevada voters will for a third time consider whether to simply legalize marijuana altogether.

-- Anne Saker

Source: oregonlive.com

Last edited by a moderator:
amen. However, I think this article is a little on the uneducated side. I know of at least 2 hash bars in LA County where you can enter as a patient only, donate/rip, and leave when ever. One is in Venice, and another in the Valley, and I bet there are more. Also does anyone know the deal with smoking in the clubs? I know several clubs that let you sample, or enjoy your meds in their smoke rooms all over CA.

It's nice that CA can have money change hands, but here in Oregon, any kind of herbal agreement has to be entered "with no consideration". Meaning, cash is frowned upon. Nutrients, electricity, etc., can all be reimbursed to a caregiver by their patient, but that is all.
I will enjoy the effects such "cashless" clubs have here in Oregon.
Even though cashless society is a slippery slope, I believe it will do good for the purpose of lounges here, it will be much harder to try and paint it as "cashing in" on mmj... I think we've all seen what that's done for CA dispensaries.
Smoking in the City of Roses!

Bulldog11

Veteran
"I think we've all seen what that's done for CA dispensaries" Lol, who is this guy? If it wasn't for Cali you wouldn't have MMJ.

Great to hear this is spreading to other states. Far from the first however. Back in 2000 you could smoke in the dispensary's like the third floor.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
why do they think they are the first to do this?

ive been to 2 places where i can sit blaze smoke hash roll up joints chill out etc and i dont have to wait 2 fucking hours to leave either that would be ridiculous there's too many rules in oregon....

when i read smoking lounge i thought they were referring to a place similar to a coffeeshop in amsterdam or the new amsterdam cafe similar to in BC

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think its funny (in a cool way, not knockin it) how there are smoking lounges for medical marijuana users.

why dont they have pill popping lounges for the pharmie users?

i understand the "medical" push, its just almost comical to me that this is the route its taking...

While I don't think overcharging patients for medicine is just, I do think that time, and hard work should be compensated at some point. If there wasn't some sort of compensation for caregivers, and club owners how would they be able to spend the time they do tending to their plants, or owning a club, while being able to pay their living expenses? So while I do see where Portland might be coming from, I still think it makes any sense to not allow those who do the good work to be able to do it, because they have to work dead in jobs. Legalizing weed should be about stimulating the economy,not letting one of the biggest cash crops be free.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The hits keep coming...

November 03, 2009, 8:50PM
As of next week, Oregon's medical-marijuana patients will have two smoke-easies in Portland in which to medicate and socialize, the first such places in the country to open since the federal government indicated that it will no longer arrest or prosecute patients and suppliers.

On Nov. 13, the Cannabis Cafe will open on the first floor of 700 N.E. Dekum St., to be operated by the state's chapter of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. Executive Director Madeline Martinez said the space has been a dream of hers for years.

"We're pretty danged excited about it," Martinez said.

The Cannabis Cafe will be the second public place for medical-marijuana patients to get together. On Oct. 1, Steve Geiger opened Highway 420, a small lounge at the back of his pipe shop at 6418 S.E. Foster Road.

"We've been kind of discreet about it. It's not something that we put out on a sign," Geiger said as he rang up customers Tuesday. "We've had great response in the neighborhood from people who are just happy they don't have to go all the way to 39th and Hawthorne" to buy pipes.

The pot lounges are the first of their kind in the nation, said Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the national NORML. California has dispensaries where medical marijuana can be purchased, but only Oregon will have public places where people can socialize and use marijuana.

Been doing that in the bay for years, BPG is one of the best to do that in!! hehe wtf?

On Oct. 19, Attorney General Eric Holder reversed years of practice by announcing that federal authorities will not pursue marijuana users in states with medical-marijuana programs. Geiger, of Highway 420, pointed out that Holder had been saying for months that he would drop marijuana prosecutions, so Geiger felt safe enough to open his lounge.

Martinez said the need for an Oregon community center for program participants became clear to her when she heard from patients from all over the state who came to Portland to visit a doctor or a hospital and had no place to medicate afterward.

"Do they go out into an alley and hide in the back of their car?" Martinez said. "There needs to be a place, much like our meetings are, where people can socialize and network."

Cardholders only

The cafe will open Nov. 13 at 4:20 p.m. -- the time being a cheeky reference to a code term for marijuana. Then the cafe will operate from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily. To enter, a person must be a member of Oregon NORML and hold a card from the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program as a patient, caregiver or grower.

The cafe, in a restaurant space called Rumpspankers, is an extension of the twice-monthly cardholder meetings that Oregon NORML has hosted for seven years, first at the Mount Tabor Theater and for the last year upstairs at the Northeast Dekum address, in the Village Ballroom.

Martinez said she does not know how many people would visit the cafe. But at least 300 people attend the twice-monthly meetings. As of Oct. 1, 23,873 Oregonians are registered medical-marijuana patients, and another 12,245 people are registered caregivers.

Portland Police Bureau spokeswoman Mary Wheat said Tuesday that the police have had no reported criminal activity associated with the twice-monthly meetings.

Martinez said volunteers will staff the cafe and people will be able to get donated medical marijuana.

On-site monitoring

In Oregon, only patients with a qualifying debilitating medical condition -- chronic pain, cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, among others -- can participate in the medical marijuana program. Patients are not permitted to buy marijuana, but they can chip in on the growers' costs. While in the cafe, patients will be monitored and not permitted to leave for at least two hours after using.

"We don't want anyone to get too medicated," Martinez said.

hehehe too medicated?? ...2 hrs??? Whos doing the monitering? ..and how are they going to know if I have had too much?..if thats even possible!! lol
not sure I like these rules.

Oregon NORML is structuring the cafe to avoid having money change hands anywhere, Martinez said. Before entering the cafe, a cardholder can buy a gift card of any denomination to buy coffee, food or other goods inside.

Oregon was the second state in the nation, after California, to create a medical-marijuana program, and now a dozen other states allow medical marijuana in some form: Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

On Tuesday, Maine voters were headed toward approving the legalization and regulation of dispensaries. New Mexico already does; Rhode Island is considering it. In 2010, Nevada voters will for a third time consider whether to simply legalize marijuana altogether.

-- Anne Saker

Source: oregonlive.com

:joint:

Rolando Mota

He he what are you telling me the newspaper got the story wrong!? :laughing: Yeah they always have to exaggerate.

Still it's cool that progress is being made, slow as it may be.

:joint:

ChronJohn

these news people always get their facts confused or wrong.. cant decide how many states have decriminalized or how many have medical laws... or even how many allow for state-licensed dispensaries (apparently RI is only "considering it".. I could have sworn they over-rode the governor's veto and allow like 3 to operate in the state) good job though Oregon. have fun with the toking lounge.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
OR MMJ law states no smoking in public, so where ya supposed to puff?
They've got their foot in the door, are on their way to being established & are 1 step from swiping real CC's when the time comes.

I may try it too? w/o the kidnapping part. lol
Being held hostage for 2 hrs just ain't gonna fly!

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Omg, so we just opened the first medical cannabis university guess well have a new place to hang out. I live there and will def. Stop by and take pix. Oregon doesn't have dispenseries so most likely it will be byob (bring your own bud) or possibly use a lifeline and ask the audience lol