What's new

First Grow...(pics)

Hey growers out there. This is my first official grow. I have played around with growing bag seeds before and finally decided to stop wasting time and order some real Genetics; so I went to Seedbay.
I ordered Kabookie13 Hillbilly Kush and it came with some Med-Man Silver Skunk BX1 testers and Sam the SkunkMan seed freebies. I germinated and planted the Hillbilly Kush and the Med-Man Silver BX1. I used potting soil as a base then added in my own liking of peat-moss, vermiculite, perlite, and Espoma Organic Seed Starter mix.
For lights I have a 2ft 4lamp T5 setup. For grow it holds 4- 6400k spectrum T5's pushing 8,000 lumens and for bloom it has 4 3000k spectrum bulbs. I also use 6- 28watt CFL's that fill in the gaps and between the both light my 2'x6'x8' grow closet like a nuke plant.
Does Anyone have any suggestions about how big I should let them get before sexing them? I don't want to invest to much time into males. I also want to eventually start some LST, any suggestions? Look Forward to hearing from you all.

picture.php

Thanks, NYUrbanFarmer

How's it going for you NYUrbanFarmer? Got any more pics to share?

@ Hestah the little ones are growing quickly especially with the new 4 bulb T5 setup it uses 4 T5 6000k spectrum grow bars. Ill post some more pics tomorrow.

NyUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

Update: Pics

Hey all here's an update on the grow. Here are some pics. I'm Sexing the bag seed plant now to see its gender before I go any further with it and waste time. Hopefully its a female. The

This is the only bag seed one pic below.
BagLady-2.jpg

Below are the Hillbilly Kush
HillbillyK-2.jpg HillbillyKush.jpg

These are the Med-Man Silver Skunk BX1
SliverSkBX1.jpg MedMan BX1.jpg

hestah

Wow, looking real good! I cant wait until I can start my own little grow.
Hope you get a female from that bag seed. The other ones, are they feminized or regular?

Hmmmm..........

Hmmmm..........

Wow, looking real good! I cant wait until I can start my own little grow.
Hope you get a female from that bag seed. The other ones, are they feminized or regular?

@ Hestah - Yeah I hope that bag seed pops a lady too. Its certainly sativa dominant. Its amazing to look at that one and then compare it to the others which are indica dominant. The leaves are so different. I never noticed the large difference until now having them side by side. The others are regular also but they come from known genetics. I believe that I'll grab a few ladies out of the bunch.

Hey all here's an update with some pics. I transplanted all the plants to 1/2 gallon grow bags because they were getting a little cramped in those Dixie cups. They're growing quickly. Hopefully they will show they're sex soon.

NYUrbanFarmer :tiphat:

Attachments

• 20140510_122536.jpg
    20140510_122536.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140510_122528.jpg
    20140510_122528.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140510_122522.jpg
    20140510_122522.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140510_122335.jpg
    20140510_122335.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140510_122322.jpg
    20140510_122322.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 6
  • 20140510_122548.jpg
    20140510_122548.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 7

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Good luck with the first grow!!!!! Welcome to ICmag and great to see you dropped some subscription money on them!!!

The plants from seed should not start to show sex until they are a few days into flower, or over a meter tall if still under 24/7 lighting.

:joint:

What to do?

What to do?

Good luck with the first grow!!!!! Welcome to ICmag and great to see you dropped some subscription money on them!!!

The plants from seed should not start to show sex until they are a few days into flower, or over a meter tall if still under 24/7 lighting.

What should I do then to save myself time on growing males? Should I switch to 12/12 to force them to show once they get a little bigger?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
What should I do then to save myself time on growing males? Should I switch to 12/12 to force them to show once they get a little bigger?

You should read a bunch of threads from others, in the grow journal section. Then you should decide what works best for your intended plans. No need to worry about culling week plants right now.

Hey all, Just wanted to put out some good news. I have found some pre-flowers on one of my plants. They are certainly female pre-flowers and I am psyched. The plant is a sativa dominant female that has beautiful thin, slender, finger like leaves. She has larger space between the nodes and appears tree like but hopefully with some LST she can be groomed to perfection. Open to anyone's thoughts on the update.

NyUrbanFarmer

hestah

Nice thats good to hear NYUrbanFarmer. Ladies are always good And sativa dominant too!
I think the extra work with LST and whatnot sure is worth it. And also gives additional experience. Hope all goes well.

Thank You!

Thank You!

Nice thats good to hear NYUrbanFarmer. Ladies are always good And sativa dominant too!
I think the extra work with LST and whatnot sure is worth it. And also gives additional experience. Hope all goes well.

@ hestah: Yeah, those were my thoughts exactly. I'm happy that the sativa turned out female. I had 5 bag seed plants that were sativa prior to this grow and they all turned out to be male. I was pissed. It just seemed that no matter how many I planted I couldn't get a lady. Now this time around I only use one bag seed because of the genetic seeds I'm growing and it turns out female. So much for 50-60%. I'm just happy that I got one because the other strains are all Indica dominant and I wanted to have one mother from each group. It's amazing how tall she is, much taller than the others, and with large gaps between nodes. She has a very tree like structure with long finger like leave blades. And surprisingly smells very little compared to the Med-man Silver Skunk BX1 and the Hillbilly Kush. They are both very short and stout with big broad serrated looking leaves. It's going to be nice watching them grow side by side and for a newbie like me I'll get to see all the different characteristics all the way through to flowering.
The new lights are making a huge difference. The CFL's worked but the plants grew much slower. It seems that with this new T5 setup the plants sprouted overnight. It holds 4- 6000k spectrum bulbs and puts out 8000 lumen.
But for the flowering I'm curious whether I should just switch in 2 of the 3000k bloom bulbs or if I should switch all 4 to the bloom bulbs altogether? :dunno: Any suggestions anyone? :thinking:

its trypp

Dont make the switch 100% right away in bloom. The first week or 2 your plants will still grow and still can use the more blue spectrum during that time. Imo switch 1 bulb the first week, another the second, then the last 2 the third week. Personal opinion at least :)

Latest posts

Latest posts