What's new

First grow, first problem

Farmer B

I have Milwaukee ph/ec/ppm. Very good. Keeps its calibration. Don't go cheap but don't spend a ton unless you plan on going bigger. Mine was 150$ on Amazon. There are a few reputable brands. Check reviews befor you buy

Ph/ ppm will work also. You can get them with temp also. Just cost more

stitek

I rearranged things a bit. I moved the smaller plant I've been playing around with main lining on to another spot that will be my new veg room. When I did that I realized another thing I should have mentioned in regards to the overall picture of the plants. One of my MH lights went out (glass actually came apart) so I had put one of my HPS lights in its place. I noticed in the picture below how much more yellow the plant under the HPS looks. Don't know if that changes anything or not, obviously still something going on that I need to address. The plant on the left in the rear is the color they both look when not under the HPS.

I'll order a TDS/EC meter and see how everything looks.

stitek

They're two different strains but they seem to be doing a little better. They actually gave me more problems initially compared to the two in the back but they seemed to do a lot better when I upped their nutrients. The first 3 seem like they will be a lot easier to manage as they flower. We'll see if that's true or not soon.

Farmer B

They do make dual ark bulbs so I'm sure it's fine. I'm not positive though. And people do do a full grow under one bulb. Never changing it.

stitek

One 600 is a little under powered for a 5x5 from what I understand. 1000 watt would be good but I prefer two 600's in case one was to go out so my plants aren't in the dark.

Farmer B

Just wondering. I could be wrong but I've read 2 500 w is actually more to run then a 1000w
To each there Owen though.

stitek

The difference in price comes out to $15 a month more for two 600's over one 1000 so it's not a huge deal imo. It's a small price to pay for not having plants in the dark and easily made up for.

Granger2

Veteran
1200w in a 5x5 [=25 sq ft] is only 48w/sq ft. That's on the low side, and I wouldn't go lower. Good luck. -granger

Granger2

Veteran
You can check for Root Aphids by laying 1" thick slices of raw potato on the surface, making good contact with the medium. Check daily for 2 weeks. Good luck. -granger

Andyo

Veteran
last 20 ml of run off actually

last 20 ml of run off actually

It looks like you have not watered your girls with enough runoff and therefore your medium has concentrated salt levels.

Best advice I can give you is go out and purchase yourself an EC meter and measure runoff water.

test the last bit of run off after 1 hour best also test ph at 1 hour tilt pot 45 degrees last drips then youll know what ph shift your getting in pot relative to feeding ph.

stitek

test the last bit of run off after 1 hour best also test ph at 1 hour tilt pot 45 degrees last drips then youll know what ph shift your getting in pot relative to feeding ph.

I shouldn't see any shift if everything is good should I? I tested run off last week when this started and it looked the same as the water going in. I'll test it again tonight when I water.

stitek

pH going in was 6.5 and came out at the end of runoff at 6.4. I should have my TDS/EC meter tomorrow and be watering again Sunday night or Monday morning.

Farmer B

That's good. A few points off is ok. I seen they sell ph pens but for the tds. Is that what u got?they usually come with calibration solution but I would order more.

stitek

I bought a Digital Aid TDS meter. I ended up having the to water a day earlier than expected. This was the first time I gave them the week 5 feeding schedule that includes tiger bloom and it was full strength. Glad I check the pH every time because the tiger bloom lowered my pH a lot. Runoff PPM was 1523. That's lower than what the Fox Farm feeding schedule shows but higher than what I'm reading I should be at. I'm not really sure if this where I want to be or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Farmer B

What was it at going in. Prob gunna be s lil lower coming out as some stays in there and plant is using some.
I think I was at 1900-2100 when I flip to 12/12 or rite after not sure. I was watering by the chart. Feed every other time. I got a lil burn so I went to about 1200 every watering. That worked except my biggest one needed more. They were about 28 inch at flip. Not sure if that helps ya. I used other stuff in the chart also like kelp micro brew and boosters

Farmer B

I'm not sure what it was going in. I'll check to see when I water the other 3 plants tomorrow.

You should measure ph ec/ppm at feeding that is how you know what your giving them. Most of the time u only need to measure the drainage if you have a problem as u do or just for curiosity. If you measure going in then u can make sure you know it's what you need to be at.

Latest posts

Latest posts