What's new

First Grow Ever! Lets see how many mistakes I make

G

Well as much as I would love that, the light bulb + seeds being equal to about the amount of luxuary money ive spent for the entirety of last year I may have to see if the 8$ fans work first :)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
How many $8 fans you got? My 250 CMH is all my 76 cfm axial fan can handle.

G

-edit- I dont mean to sound like I'm arguing.. .even though it does sound that way. I just am explaining my circumstance. I understand all the above advice is good and precautionary, and truly kind since watching my grow cant be THAT exciting. However none of that changes the budget I ahve to work with. Outside of the bulb and the seeds everything so far has been salvaged or somehow found free. I'm doing my best to keep with the theme is all, who knows if it works I could make a really good DIY for the poor growers out there :) --

none yet, but thats comming after I run the bulb and see how things are. So long as the shipping date holds ill have 1-2 weeks to figure out my heat issue before my plants need to be in the new box. I'm sorta a one step at a time person. 1) light 2) venting down to at least 80F 3) light proofing 4) Transplanting. Whenever I go out of order I screwthings up and drive myself crazy. But yea I'm still concerned since my ambient floats between 76-80. However the plants dont seem to mind being at 82 all that much. The only thing ive noticed is that the leavs have grown a little wonkety (ie the leaf opposite its brother faces the other way... just odd things)

-edit- the current vent plan is One exaust pulling directly above the light via the hood. One intake right below the light helping to push. Passive at the base of the pots, possibly one at the base pushing up. and 1-2 oscilating (most of these I have somewhere in the home already.)

I also have a fridge on standby and a window AC that could be put to service in that room.

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Apologies if it sounded like we were beating you up. I was a starving student in my youth. I remember pooling resources with my roomies to buy the smallest jar of peanut butter the store had for sale. No money is no money.

Think of us as trying to prevent surprises, letting you know what we feel may be coming. One step at a time sounds like a plan.

Now go blow something up. We want a show! (that's a joke ... ah say ... that's a joke, son) Break a leg.

G

No, I completly understand and appriciate all the advice and dont mind at all. I however felt like I was countering most of it and felt like an ass (because I asked for advice, got some, then told you why it was wrong)

Smoke68

Charles, I might definately suggest a cool tube of sorts... I started using one in my box, and I watched my mini box temps drop from about 8-12 degrees above ambient room temp. to just 1-3 degrees above room temp and at nights, it would even drop below a couple degrees.
As far as how you are going, it sounds as though you are fairly green in the thumb so keep it up! 82 degrees isn't that bad and especially for Mandala genetics. I can't wait to see how this grow show goes!
Peace,
Smoke68

Last edited:
G

Thanks for the words smoke. I'll be lookin into the cool tube once I confirm I will have a heat issue (pretty sure I will). And on the green thumb it might be because I grew up on a farm, though I just mostly did the work as instructed. does seem I picked up a few things however (and reading all the stickies on this sight did not hurt ^_^)

steve green

dont stress charles,, money is a bitch-especially if you dont have it.
believe me,ive been there. Your doing fine.. keep it up .
may i suggest amoung other great resources(like this site) craigslist
man u can find all kinds of good stuff if u look sometimes
even free stuff-like cabs and other stuff ive seen. grow lights too-ive seen all kinds-super cheap.
also if you want to look theres some great DIY on this site
u can check up on home made cooltubes- heres one by LEMON- great thread.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=62161

G

Update, about another week is gone. They are doing well though I think I need to give them more nutes on reflection. No major health issues cropping up. The oldest leaves are turning a bit dark green and drooping and some of the top have taken some minor heat damage, but they are still growing so its looking good.

Good link on the cool tube btw, if I need it that will be great.

Last edited:

thehammer85

i agree on the cool tube, i had a 120 cm comp fan pulling air off a 250 watt hps in a cool tube, u could hold your hand on the glass without it getting burned. however, it was a high quality one, the cheaper fans i got couldnt handle even a 150. anyway if u have two high powered comp fans at both the intake and exhaust of the cool tube im sure u will be fine.

dont worry man, i went cheap too, my first grow cost more for the clones than the entire box. i have just realized that if u got the money to do it and its done properly, its a lot less headaches. good luck to ya brother, if i get a camera ill post up some pics of my box