What's new

First Grow: CFL/Soil- Small Cab and Rubbermaid Set Up

Hi guys. I'll start with an introduction.
I've been interested in growing for about 6 years now, I read a ton on overgrow and moved here after it was shut down. I've mostly been lurking this site, but now that I've actually got a system set up, I'd like to show it to everyone and ask for any and all advice. I'll probably just post in here when I'm bored, excited, or confused. That probably means frequently.

Myself and a friend have a setup, I think I'll probably just update both situations here, as it would be nice to talk about everything in the same thread. I'd like to stress that this is a learning grow. Its also supposed to be as inexpensive as possible. Maybe after this first run I'll upgrade some of my stuff but right now I simply cannot afford it. I intend for it to be a good time, not a huge money maker or a quest for the most top of the line smoke. That said, I'd love to do whatever I can to make sure I maximize my yield and quality.

For my setup, I'm growing in a 14"x32"x44 plywood box.
I've currently got 4 40w 2700k bulbs and I'm considering adding one or two more.

For my friend's, its two 30 gallon Rubbermaid containers stacked on top of each other. This design is almost completely influenced by Redgreenery's grow tubs. It includes a separately cooled light chamber and the option for a carbon scrubber on the top.
He'll be running 6 40w 2700k bulbs.

Right now I have one plant in flower. Its bagseed that I threw in some soil and left on my window sill for about 2 months as a houseplant. It was severely rootbound, malnourished, and suffered from a low light situation. I tossed it in my cab just to see what would happen while I looked around for clones.
Consequently, I know its a sad plant, please dont let it reflect my overall ability. I'm quite informed, just inexperienced.

I think that what I'll do is get about 10 clones (maybe much more if I can get them), veg them in my friend's cab, and then take half to flower in mine, freeing up space for him to set the other half to flower in his cab.

We'll both likely do a sog or scrog grow, depending on availability. We'll also likely set up a veg chamber at his house. I'd really like to get this to be somewhat steady as we're both fairly heavy smokers.

Here are some pictures to get started. I'll finish with questions.

I took it from the windowsill and put it under 12/12 lighting about a week and a half ago. I'll just say 9/6.
I tied it down today (9/19)

Here you can see the space and how shallow the soil is.

In this picture you can see some of the fan leaves, the old yellow one, and some of the much healthier new growth. Also one of the flowers.

My friends closed up, lights off.

Lights on. Likely gonna attach light traps and carbon scrubber. Notice the fan on top pulling air out.

Interior shot and how it opens up.

This is the homemade cool tube. Air pushes across the bulbs and the heat from the lights stays away from the plants.
Its "no glare" Plexiglas over the bulbs.
Its set up for six bulbs, just three in there now though. Its also hanging below the top by about an inch, allowing air to escape from the top of the tubs to the scrubber.

Intake for the light cooling.

So now the questions...

Plants! How many do you guys recommend in each cab? This first grow might have to be limited to what can be found, but before they go to flower, I'm sure I'll take clones and set up a mother so i could potentially have as many flowering in these spaces as I want. What's optimal?
I imagine SOG or Scrog is really the best way to go, especially in the Rubbermaids. For the first time round I'll just do LST and SOG.
I plan to veg for roughly two weeks after roots take and then flower or maybe just decide by when they mostly fill the screen.

What type of soil should I go for? I've got a couple of bags of miracle grow (i know every real grower hates this stuff) but since I've got it, will it work? Is it worth paying for something different? What's a cheap alternative. I cant be spending 200 dollars on nutrients and advanced soils.

I was speaking with someone in chat yesterday and they suggested I go with lower wattage 6500k bulbs for the veg cycle. How important is this, how much wattage is good per square foot for the veg cycle. What about using one or two of each spectrum? Better?

Regarding my current plant. Any advice you've got is welcome. here are some of my concerns though. Is it rootbound? Will it be? I keep letting it get too close and burning leaves. How much damage is that doing and should I just cut the burnt parts off or leave them?
Are there any obvious nute deficiencies? All of the new growth looks to be a healthy darker green.

The Plexiglas I put over the bulbs is "no glare" its got a slightly brushed look and it does make a tiny bit of a shadow when placed between something and a light. Its designed for picture frames. Is this gonna kill any of the important light? The lady at home depot said no but her opinion doesn't mean much to me.

I know this is a noob question and super variable, but I cant help asking. With this size cab, and a fairly successful first grow, (with the usual hiccups) what kind of weight can I expect in each cab?

Anything else??
I'm really excited guys. I'm sure I'll make some edits and post with new questions here and there. I'll update with pictures as soon as we get a hold of some clones.
Cheers.

picture.php

:wave:
Alright. I've got some good things happening, as well as a few issues.

I've talked to two friends and I should be able to find clones within a week (one friend had to deal with a pest problem first). Until then, I'm still just working with my one bagseed. Its moving along and giving me a lot of experience in the process. Its around day 23 of flower.

I had one annoying incident where the lst tie-down came undone and the plant moved back in to the bulb and seriously burned a budsite.

I threw on some beer can reflectors (more so I don't blind myself than for light return)

I imagine my plant either has a deficiency or is PH locked out, because growth seems a little slow, and I'm completely new to the nutrient aspect of growing. Some of the leaves are discolored, but it doesn't seem to be dire. I'll start reading up on different symptoms and what to do.

As always, I'm open to any advice regarding the grow. Overall, I'm satisfied and very excited. I'll continue to update, as well as when I actually get those clones.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I did a little reading and it seems like the yellowing is just a natural nitrogen deficiency as part of the flowering process. Anyone want to confirm that?

JJScorpio did me the favor of moving this thread recently. Maybe I'll get a few more views and some advice. I can use it.

I'm not on any real watering schedule and yesterday when I opened my cab, the plant was severely wilted. I gave it a ton of water and it has perked back up. Growth is continuing on and I'm still working on finding some clones.

I'll add pictures late tonight or tomorrow. Cheers guys.

A friend borrowed my camera. Cell phone pictures will have to do for now. My plant seems to have recovered from the dehydration. Growth seems slow but otherwise nothing notable to complain about.

This plant is roughly 30 days flower.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

C

camoxnhx

very nice! im sittng down. like what your doing with the LST. keep that thumb green

enjoy the buzz

Thanks camo. It looks like we've got pretty similar setups running. The friend I talked to said I should be able to get about 10 clones for my cab space so I think I'll try do like a 6 plant sog, accounting for at least 3 deaths and a mother so I can get a perpetual grow going. Once I get that setup we can make some actual comparisons. For now, this dorky plant will have to do.

Today I made a new hood for my lights. Its set up so that I can include 8 cfls, up to 360 watts in 2 square feet.
I mounted fans on top so that they'll pull air past the bulbs and away from the plant.
I intend to block the rear holes or add more bulbs, as well as a plexiglass partition underneath. Eventually I'll set this up so that air is pulled in from the outside and the lighting section never shares air with the plant. (lower temps without straining the carbon filter)

It seems to work well, although I dropped it during the installation and broke one of the bulbs. I'll get a new one before the next light cycle.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

kcbudz31

When you say 4 40 watt bulbs, are they truly 40 watts or are they the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb? Huge difference. If it's not truly 40 apiece they're probably 13w bulbs, and you're at 50 watts spread over about two square feet. I grew plants just like yours when I started out cause I didn't have the watts. Super leafy with small nugs because the plant is starving for lumens.

alecto

I'm a newbie...so be carefull with my advice...
but here I try one...a cheap way to improve the reflection of your hood could be the use of an Emergency Blanket...maybe...;)

greenbox

When you say 4 40 watt bulbs, are they truly 40 watts or are they the equivalent of a 40 watt bulb? Huge difference. If it's not truly 40 apiece they're probably 13w bulbs, and you're at 50 watts spread over about two square feet. I grew plants just like yours when I started out cause I didn't have the watts. Super leafy with small nugs because the plant is starving for lumens.

Well you can't beat a good lot of lumens!!! With that said any bud is better than none. lol

Take care "it's a jungle out there"

enjia2000

Don't be afraid to get the plants closer to the lights with CFLs. You can get under an inch away and have no problems. Looks great for a first grow!

Hey guys. Thanks for having a look and giving me the pointers.

KCBuds: Those are 42 watt bulbs, something like 150 equivalent. I actually added a 5th bulb, putting me at 200 watts. Probably about 80 watt/square foot.
I think the plant looks so poor because I had it vegging in a low light window sill for 2 months and it was super stretched out (not to mention rootbound and lacking nutes). Here's a picture for reference, from when I put it in.
picture.php

Alecto: The inside of that hood is white and at that distance, I'm more concerned with the number of bulbs I've got than the reflectivity. I'd also rather not attach anything to the inside of it because right now it's doing an incredible job of venting the heat with the fans and conduction with the plastic top. Its very strong plastic but its thin enough to move heat through. I'm really excited about that part of my setup actually.

Enjia: Already covered. I took that picture as soon as I finished getting the ballast hanging and since it was near the end of my light cycle I just left it. The next day I changed up what the bucket was sitting on so the plant is right up in the lights.

Around day 34:
picture.php

picture.php

Anything else?

C

camoxnhx

wow man! its comin along very very nice! the light assembly you mad is pretty bad ass! what materials did you use to make it? i think i might make me one of these! looking good tho. the Yelowing of the leaves is the plants natural way of using sugars to help bulk up them flowers. Now what are you using for nutrients for the flowering cycle? KEEP US POSTED!!

C

camoxnhx

and those trichromes that are developing on the leaves and the buds also looks dank!

wow man! its comin along very very nice! the light assembly you mad is pretty bad ass! what materials did you use to make it? i think i might make me one of these! looking good tho. the Yelowing of the leaves is the plants natural way of using sugars to help bulk up them flowers. Now what are you using for nutrients for the flowering cycle? KEEP US POSTED!!

I cut an 8 light vanity thing in half and a couple of pieces of baseboard for the box shape. On top I put some hard plastic, probably 3/8 inch thick, not really sure whats its for, sorta just stole it from my back yard. Nails. Thats really about it haha.

I'm on no feeding schedule! It's probably gonna come back and get me, but like I said earlier, this plant is just for fun. I dont care if it tastes like chemicals or barely gets me high. (though if it didn't, i'd be stoked) Its in miracle grow. I transplanted just before flipping it to flower.

I'm also pretty sure the plant has a virus, spider mites, or some other pest. I cant really tell. Its not serious enough for me to really make a determination, but there's definitely leaf damage here and there. Hopefully it finishes before anything gets serious.

Thanks for taking a look.

Any idea on time left? I'm guessing 3-5 weeks.

I also sprouted a seed and threw it in the flowering chamber. After reading that "12/12 from seed a new way to grow" thread, I decided what the hell, and threw it in. Maybe I'll get a female I can clone from. Pics tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts