What's new

First Go (DWC)

happy to ease your worries

when in dwc is a personal preference to think of "ph lockout" as another term for toxicity or defeciency. when ph gets out of range it's commonly reffered to lockout, so either of two scenario's are playing out. 1. ph is allowing access to elements at higher quantities than needed (toxicity) or 2. ph is denying access to elements for not being in an acceptable range (defeciency)

Looking at what symptoms are showing and where on the plant in question can start to narrow down. (Mobile vs Immobile Also critical thinking about previous habits, feedings, and ph shifts. You were on top of your stuff, good job.

Identifying the symptoms can help remedy the problem fastest by using the best solution possible.
Appreciate the knowledge:joint:, im new at this, and i know a little bit, but i am always open to info.....and i am really trying to get this right. Ha, its kind of like a do or die situation.....hypothetically, but still. Anyways, yea they are getting huge and stinky and mean lookin' . They are drinking about 1.5 gallons a day, so ive just been topping it off with a fairly potent solution.

Hey i have a bunch of really gooey slimy stuff (looks like snot and its all over the roots and the bucket) on my auto flowering plant that is about 2 weeks away from from finishing. What is this?!? is it bad? Im going to start flushing next week

Mist

Have you been draining your system and flushing/rinsing the bucket sites periodically? I had the same thing happen years ago and a good rinse of the roots and running H202 in the system got rid of it. You should take a hose with a sprayer and rinse the roots very well and then run the peroxide in your system. It won't hurt anything harvest wise to do this. Use the peroxide at a rate of 2.5ml per gallon along with your normal nutrients after the rinse and flush.
THese things happen with DWC sometimes. High temps can bring it on and if you continue to have temp problems you will probably want to keep running the peroxide in other grows.

all bad cuz cuz. all bad. that slime is probably root rot. is it dark in color? a pic would help.

what are water temps as of the time of this problem? ambient temps?

its likely caused by insufficient dissolved oxygen. dissolved oxygen can sometimes be fixed ing more air, however if your air is sufficient then its probably due to high temperatures. water temps have a direct relationship with the amount of dissolved oxygen that can be retained in the system. so what this means is, when the water is hot, it will hold less DO than with water 67-70 degrees, even with same pump etc.

if it is root rot, this deep into flo... pretty much just try to fix temps/air output as needed, and keep on truckin, cause whats done is done and theres no comin back from it now. assuming it is root rot definitely make note of this for next time cause thats probably the #1 DWC killer

Thanks for the tips guys. I hope its not root rot, i've never really had any personal experience with it or anything, but it sounds awful. The plant look really healthy and all, but there is just so much foamy and nasty stuff starting building up. res temps are cool, temps are usually around 84-86 lights on. I changed the res water every week up until the last two, so i havent changed it in two weeks. Ill post some pics of her, Ill try to get a pic of the slime tomorrow. Shes been going 8 weeks, so i figured she has two weeks left until she gets chopped. i was going to try and wait a week, and then start flushing. Also, it doesnt take as long to dry these little plants versus the big ones does it? it needs to be completely dark when you dry them right? The buds are actually quite denser looking then the pics make them look.

Mist

By the look of those pics they need way more than 2 more weeks. Looks more like another 4 weeks. Did you you start counting when you put them on 12/12 or when you saw the first flowers forming? And what is the flowering time for that strain?
Don't mean to be a downer since you are obviously excited to be near the end but plants finish when they want, not when you want. LOL
I would go ahead with the flush and root cleaning and then let them go till they really done and then worry about flushing them for the last week.

Mist

fatigues

Veteran
If you've got the nasties building up now, and you are planning on chopping in two weeks anyways?

Strongly consider starting the flush now, not later.

If they need 4 more weeks, not two? Might change out rez and flush - then replace with nutes and see if you can eke it out.

of course, the denser the buds the longer it will take to dry, and vice versa. 84-86 is only marginally acceptable, it is the outside end of the spectrum of what is allowable.. c02 would help a little I could imagine.. but not with rez temps

as a general rule of thumb, rez temps are often approx 10 degrees less than ambient temps.. but im sure this varies from system to system.. what this means is you're at approx 75 degrees rez give or take, which is not very good.

dwc is one bad motherfucker but only when its dialed in..

if you have such temp problems and insist on hydro, you may consider ebb and flow, where nutrient temps are less of an issue.

that being said, you need to do something about temps.. frozen bottles in rez can be a bandaid fix to get you thru the last 2 weeks (those look like they need more like 4-5 weeks to go) but you need a more suitable long term fix for sustained dwc growth

By the look of those pics they need way more than 2 more weeks. Looks more like another 4 weeks. Did you you start counting when you put them on 12/12 or when you saw the first flowers forming? And what is the flowering time for that strain?
Don't mean to be a downer since you are obviously excited to be near the end but plants finish when they want, not when you want. LOL
I would go ahead with the flush and root cleaning and then let them go till they really done and then worry about flushing them for the last week.

Mist

Im not sure on the exact date as to when it started flowering, its autoflowering. It was just some free seed i got when you spend x amount of dollars when ordering. I didnt even really pay that much attention to it, I was more focused on the others, but one day I just noticed it had little white pistils shooting out when it was about 4.5 weeks old from seed during 18/6. I was like holy shit. The site said 6 to 8 weeks start to finish, and I know the sites aren't 100% reliable, but i figured it would put me in the ball park. In 3 days it will be exactly 8 weeks from seed. Its pretty easy to over do it on flowering time and completely fuck up your crop isn't it? Some of the pistils are turning brown, but i dont think that matters. I need to get a magnifier and some other crap, but im just SO damn broke.

If you've got the nasties building up now, and you are planning on chopping in two weeks anyways?

Strongly consider starting the flush now, not later.

If they need 4 more weeks, not two? Might change out rez and flush - then replace with nutes and see if you can eke it out.

Dont they still need all of those extra nutes in the last weeks to strengthen and add to the density of the buds? I know they have stored up backup nutes inside, but i figured that extra week of root absorbtion would benefit the buds more than two weeks of just tap water. I was planning on flushing for one week, but im not sure now. if i let it go longer, ill definitely change the res and clean it.

sababi

CTR if those photos on the previous page are from today or yest then those have more likely 4-6 weeks and im leaning more to 6 weeks left i would do as above have suggested and flush rinse and add some h2o2 to your res and i have never seen going to long fing a grow up the plant will tell u when she is done but as for needing mag u can wait like i say i think shes got 6 weeks atleast but i like a nice ratio of amber trichs

oh i forgot to mention i added a respectable amount of superthrive recently to the autoflowering bucket. i dont know if that could have anything to do with it, but i will try to post pics tomorrow.

Good news, they are all girls! And i got temps down to about 80-84 (fan placement is key, i fuck with it all day long). Here is the Ectoplasmic goo. mmmmm

Mist

That is a nasty one for sure. Hose, sprayer and spray the hell out of it to break up that goo. Then get some peroxide in those buckets, drain, rinse, drain and fill with fresh nutes with a light amout of peroxide.
Have you been keeping the nutrient levels that high all the time? It should be an inch or two below the level of the net pot.
If you can get rid of the goo the roots will recover and grow back. This is a good lesson on how you should check the inside of each bucket once a day. Having a controller makes it easier to feed and drain the plants, but you still have to be aware of what is going on in the individual buckets. Just take this as a learning experience and roll on. We have all had these weird things happen to us in the beginning. After a few grows it will seem like autopilot.

Mist

It is a type of bacteria that forms when the temps are too high in the nutrient. It will destroy the roots by choking them out. Your plants still look strong though and roots will grow back when the slime has been done away with. When I had it the first time it was pretty bad and after power spraying the roots and treating with peroxide it went away and the roots regrew fairly fast. So you can still salvage those plants and get a decent harvest with the time you have left flowering.
Really gross stuff isn't it.

Yea it looks like someone blew a massive load all over my roots. i rinsed em' the best i could, but i couldnt get it all out without ripping the roots off. ill try and get some peroxide tomorrow.

Mist

I am sorry to hear that you couldn't salvage much of the root system. After you get the peroxide you will want to run it with the water level up to about 1" from the top of the bucket for about an hour so that it can kill off any of they bacteria growth inside the net pot. After that you can bring the level down so that it is only up about an inch on the net pot and when roots start to regrow you can drop the level again to a point where the roots alone are in the nutrient. I know this has been a trying incident because I have been there myself, but it will all come out ok.

You might want to pick up some B-Cuzz root stimulator or a similar product to aid the plants regrowth of roots. Just 2-3 cap fulls per 5 gallons of nutrient mix is all you need.

Thanks for all the advice man, that really helps. I would keep adding to your rep and crap, but it says i cant anymore. Yea there is so much inside the net pot, i cleaned the crap out of it again today. It just kills you to wipe that slime off and pull a fairly respectable root wad off along with it. the leaves just turned yellow this morning or last night, and it looks like its moving at a fairly rapid pace. Ill treat it with the peroxide, and just flush it for as long as i can with my fingers crossed. Can that kind of stuff (bacteria) damage the buds? Im broke as hell, and dont live anywhere near a grow shop, so i dont have access to all those badass additives and stimulators.

of course, the denser the buds the longer it will take to dry, and vice versa. 84-86 is only marginally acceptable, it is the outside end of the spectrum of what is allowable.. c02 would help a little I could imagine.. but not with rez temps

as a general rule of thumb, rez temps are often approx 10 degrees less than ambient temps.. but im sure this varies from system to system.. what this means is you're at approx 75 degrees rez give or take, which is not very good.

dwc is one bad motherfucker but only when its dialed in..

if you have such temp problems and insist on hydro, you may consider ebb and flow, where nutrient temps are less of an issue.

that being said, you need to do something about temps.. frozen bottles in rez can be a bandaid fix to get you thru the last 2 weeks (those look like they need more like 4-5 weeks to go) but you need a more suitable long term fix for sustained dwc growth

Appreciate the info. That's actually just one bucket with some small plant, so that could have something to do with the res temps; because of the volume and whatnot, if that was a contributing factor. The rest of the plants are on a seperate system and are lookin' pretty damn healthy and good, but they are just getting too tall. Having a few ph issues, but nothing too serious. They're about to be in their second week of flowering. Waiting is probably the most difficult thing to all of this, ha, its killing me.

Latest posts

Latest posts