What's new

First At-Home Live Plant Resin Extraction

It is frozen hard and brittle after 10 minutes. The lighter colored stuff came from the stuff we clipped off the plant first, so it sat longer. The second half was clipped after a short smoke break before doing the extraction.

JVonChron

there is a thread on here called "green dot labs trophy cannabis" or something like that. pretty sure this is exactly what they do, regarding live extracts anyways... I literally sat here like mouth open in awe after seeing such beautiful vigorous plants, and then reading how they processed and extracted them "alive" right after choppin' pretty much. how do the effects/qualities differ between extracting live vs. cured material?

I was doing small dabs of it just for flavor, and have since cut myself off to save it for a special occasion. I have quite the tolerance as I do large dabs of potent shatter, so I really didn't do a large enough dab to hit me like my normal hits. It is more flavorful than anything that I've had, and if I were to speculate, you would need slightly more of this to get a comparable buzz because of the heightened terpene to cannabinoid ratio. If I had a crop to myself I would designate a few plants to this method to really get the feel for it. It was a small experiment that yielded around 20% after it had been de-waxed. The plant was pretty but lacked density and was a hermie, so I'd love to see what can be done to some big, healthy plants.

jd2

Terps defitinitely are a liquid consistency, ....

Besides anecdotal evidence, do you have any technical date to support this claim?

All the "boiling" point data I've seen is comparable to that of the cannabinoids. Definitely higher than the boiling point of water at stp..

Besides anecdotal evidence, do you have any technical date to support this claim?

All the "boiling" point data I've seen is comparable to that of the cannabinoids. Definitely higher than the boiling point of water at stp..

Limonene, a terpene common in many marijuana strains is a liquid at room temperature. It can be bought online and some oil-makers (not me) add it to their extracts to add flavor. I'm sure there are several others sesquiterpenes and monoterpenes that are liquid at room temperature.

jd2

Limonene, a terpene common in many marijuana strains is a liquid at room temperature. It can be bought online and some oil-makers (not me) add it to their extracts to add flavor. I'm sure there are several others sesquiterpenes and monoterpenes that are liquid at room temperature.

true --- please disregard my last question --- not thinking too good.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The mono terpenes and sesquiterpenes are smaller molecules than the di-terpene cannabinoids, and can add to the liquidity of the puddle. Some are alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, esters, etc, with high vapor pressure, that readily sublimate away far below their boiling points.

It is those sublimated molecules colliding with our noses that we recognize as terpene smell, and since they are the above mentioned solvents, can even pass though plastic membranes.

That is how a double bagged lid of skunk can stink up a whole car or room, despite the double bagging.

jd2

The mono terpenes and sesquiterpenes are smaller molecules than the di-terpene cannabinoids, and can add to the liquidity of the puddle. Some are alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, esters, etc, with high vapor pressure, that readily sublimate away far below their boiling points.

Hmm, the fact they are sublimating implies that they aren't entirely miscible in the solvent. But they're np --- such as the solvent.

It's easier to accept if the solvent were predominantly H2O or some other much more "polar" solution.

This really is interesting.

GW, would you expect this process to yield a less potent product?

I just made the assumption that THC-A wasn't fully decarb'd in the dab process --- again difficult for me to believe that there is much activated stuff in this form.

More than likely I'm missing something --- I do that a lot sometimes.

JointOperation

any idea if we an use a glass tube.. to blow fresh frozen or ? just do a thermos? ..

and ive heard hexane makes a decent oil.. but all the stuff ive made from it sucked..

I think ill try some fresh frozen.. with the hexane soak too.

Daub Marley

Hmm, the fact they are sublimating implies that they aren't entirely miscible in the solvent. But they're np --- such as the solvent.
Why would you think that they are not miscible? They are just lighter molecules that boil off at a lower temperature. Also I believe sublimating refers to a solid going straight to gas like dry ice. If they are liquid already then they boil not sublimate.

I agree on the terminology, but it was a little different from an average fresh frozen run so I just went with green dots name since their process is the one that inspired me.

jump117

Veteran
for terminology

for terminology

Balsam is a solution of plant-specific resins in plant-specific solvents (essential oils). (wiki)

It is strange that I have never met the use of this term to cannabis.

I was under the impression that these live plant runs.. were not trimmed lol.. I think that's a waste of time honestly.

Could you please tell me from your experience why that is a waste of time? Have you ever extracted at temps lower than - 70? If you have I would imagine that you would understand that a little leaf material means little to the quality of your oil because of the small amount leaf waxes that are picked up. Also the additional chilling and filtering allows me to make shatter from unsorted trim look like the nug run of the same material. I can buck down and pack a lb of buds off a plant in 20 minutes and get the same results as if someone had spent all day trimming it. And that is also less time that the bud spends off of the plant unfrozen. I literally cut it off the plant into a jar of dry ice without ever touching it. lol if you like but I know the results that I get and I haven't had anyone that wasn't thoroughly impressed after tasting it. I hoped that some people would find it helpful to learn that it can be done at home with little investment. Do with it what you like.

Balsam is a solution of plant-specific resins in plant-specific solvents (essential oils). (wiki)

It is strange that I have never met the use of this term to cannabis.

Agreed jump. However, I'll leave it to you to start using it first. I don't think I could handle the embarrassment of misusing another term here. I don't deal well with being teased. From now on I wait for Jump or GW before I open my big mouth.

Latest posts

Latest posts