What's new

FireFox problem with pictures on here...

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Since yesterday every time I open a page with lots of pictures the Page File usage goes from an average of 400MB to around 900MB+ and slows down this PC to the point where it is practically not functioning anymore.
If I leave that page open the PF will eventually "level out" back to around 400MB but as soon as I try to only scroll through that same page with all the pictures the PF usage goes through the roof again and things are back to slow.

A friend says this could be a ICM related problem but I don't see anyone else reporting that same situation so here I am asking for help to get this fixed.

PS: Just re-installed FF and the same problem still persists. :shucks:

thank%20you.gif

jd4083

Veteran
Your photo did not work, in order to use tags you must link from an external public server. I would use CCleaner by Piriform to clear your cache and all temporary files, IE/FF/Chrome-based and otherwise; it is a free program. I would also run a malware scan with either SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes free editions. If your issue remains after trying this, post back and I'm sure we can all help you figure it out.

Also, are you using AutoPager or any other PF-heavy add-ons for Firefox?

jd4083

Veteran
OK I went to several picture heavy threads and the ONLY ONE where the problem described by me occurs (and where I initially discovered it) is this page.

Only the following page, none of the others within that thread or elsewhere...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=183958&page=17

I just visited the thread and it hit my computer pretty hard just trying to get the window to close, so it ain't just you. :tiphat: My guess is that it's a combination of enormous photos (which those were) and a slow image host, but I also experienced the same issues you mentioned. If my internet were faster I would imagine that wouldn't have been an issue...what speed is your connection?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

If my internet were faster I would imagine that wouldn't have been an issue...what speed is your connection?

I blanked out the ISP and server info since they would be misleading.
Due to my unique location I am connected through a series of remote computers:

This is my up/-down speed with a bunch of other stuff running slowing it down:
2wfvgi9.jpg

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
The issue on that thread you posted in post #6 is the image size. Those images need to be reduced, thats the reason your PF is flipping out. I think IC Mag has a setting for auto-sizing images, might want to look into that

E

explozivosuge

I would use CCleaner by Piriform to clear your cache and all temporary files, IE/FF/Chrome-based and otherwise; it is a free program. ?

Today CCcleaner from piriform is not a free program. They want money to use it.
SuperAntiSpy work fine, and iti is really free

M

mugenbao

I don't think it's just a Firefox issue, though. That page has several very large pictures hosted on a third-party server (imagehost.org), so I'm not terribly surprised it takes forever to load and has a big memory hit, and the fact that the image sizes are not pre-specified means that the browser has to recalculate page flow several times, leading to a large CPU hit as well :

picture.php

It sucks, and I'll never visit that guy's thread again, but it's not something I'd be concerned about.

((FWIW: This earned imagehost.org a place on my AdBlock Plus blacklist. I never want to see pictures that large without forehand knowledge))

jd4083

Veteran
Today CCcleaner from piriform is not a free program. They want money to use it.
SuperAntiSpy work fine, and iti is really free

Uh...not at all true. I DL and install a copy of CCleaner on a client's computer just about every day of the week, it's still free for what it's needed for...

Latest posts

Latest posts