What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finishing times, Photoperiod, Latitude, and how it all works!!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
didnt know where to ask this question. so I figured this is as gof a place as any.

how often do u feed ur outdoor ladies?

I think I need to feed my ladies more often this year because last year some of my flowers ended up fluffy and not as dense as I wanted.

So how far into flowering cycle should I be given em full strenght bloom nuts.

they have just started to grow there buds. mostly just hairs for now.

thx for some info on this.

Bodean

My plants are not flowering yet but i feed once a week. It depends on the soil conditioning as i am growing outdoors but in a 5 gallon pot with coconut fiber, worm castings and vermiculite. I just feed with compost tea. For flowering nutes im going sugar peak weak solution to start then go full flavor after 4 weeks then just water for the last 2 weeks.

H

HerbScience

moonlight does affect cannabis plants but inducing them to flower a day or two sooner may be a max, try this experiment, leave a small nightlight on in your growroom and tell me if it affects timing, as opposed to totally dark growroom, I think that you'll find that it does

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
didnt know where to ask this question. so I figured this is as gof a place as any.

how often do u feed ur outdoor ladies?

I think I need to feed my ladies more often this year because last year some of my flowers ended up fluffy and not as dense as I wanted.

So how far into flowering cycle should I be given em full strenght bloom nuts.

they have just started to grow there buds. mostly just hairs for now.

thx for some info on this.

I use jacks bloom booster outdoors at 3/5 strength. I use it from the beginning of stretch until about 2-3 weeks before the plants are finished. That is all strain dependant of course. Some love food, some hate it. I had a lemon skunk that I gave plain water just about all year, fed it maybe twice during flowering with a real low dose. Sunlight plays a big factor for density of buds. IMVHO a couple of hours of direct hit sunlight isn't enough to produce dense buds. That I've learned from experience....

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I use jacks bloom booster outdoors at 3/5 strength. I use it from the beginning of stretch until about 2-3 weeks before the plants are finished. That is all strain dependant of course. Some love food, some hate it. I had a lemon skunk that I gave plain water just about all year, fed it maybe twice during flowering with a real low dose. Sunlight plays a big factor for density of buds. IMVHO a couple of hours of direct hit sunlight isn't enough to produce dense buds. That I've learned from experience....

i agree with u bro..i have also learned that the hard way..u need at least 5hrs of direct sunlight to have hard nugs..i prefer 6-7 of direct per day as i have found my plants get like rocks with that amount of direct sunlight..sometimes u gotta risk a little bit of security to get that extra light depending on where u are growing but IME it is well worth it..i hate getting those big airy buds!

MrPhysics

Curious -
If the photo-period isn't a specific figure, and it appears that plants time their growth based upon relative amount of light/dark from when they started (vegging as the amount of day increases usually from spring into summer, and flowering (+pre-flowering) as the amount of day starts to decrease (summer into fall towards winter)...........

Do you suppose it would be possible to get some seeds started once the amount of day begins to increase (after winter solstice), provided I was in a climate where frost was not a concern? Would there be any benefit, besides potentially greater vegetative growth before the flowering cycle begins?

NeDank

IMHO "finishing times" are extremely subjective especially when indica and/or hybrid cultivars are involved. One person may be perfectly happy with mostly clear trichomes another milky and of course med users amber. The later being most difficult without mold outdoors.

Assuming all factors are the same strain/weather conditions/lat etc. One person at the same latitude as another may be able to "finish" a strain to his liking while another would be dissatisfied.

Then there are people who plant clones which generally finish a few weeks faster than their seed plant counterpart.

On the other side of the fence are the huge plant/tree growers. Larger plants tend to start flowering later than the same strain or even sister clone. I've seen it happen, one large and small plant both from the same clone mother planted in the same location. The small one flowers 2-3 weeks sooner than the big one.

All of the above reasons are why finishing times can be off by significant margin in the outdoor strain guide thread. Of course this is assuming you can find the strain and similar latitude to compare with.

CrackInTheBox

I really hope my plants finish before the cold kicks in. We get a full 12/12 here about September 23. They have nice bud sites developing and pistols poppin all over the place. They have been out there since march (started early in a greenhouse) even though March is still cold here. Anyone have any plants that they think might not make it? It doesn't start to freeze til late October early to mid november. Is this enough time? They have been producing trichs like crazy, so I know I'll at least get something to smoke. They happened to be in the ground, and are monsters, been flowering for almost 3 weeks now. I'm pretty re sure they are all hybrid indica dominates...any input?

Buddyy

I just wish time would hurry up, I wish it was like 30 oct and I have everything chopped and hanging to dry. The waiting is killing me, this time of year is tough for outdoor growers who are outside the law....patience is a virtue....20ish days to go...PM and mould stay away!! rain and cold and stay away!! police and neighbours, I'm not taking any visits!!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, stay safe and may your harvests be bountiful!

RskeDelta9

So if let's say I lived in South America Colombia to be exact which is 12/12 all year round just about and I put out some pants to flower should I go with indoor finish times ..???

N

NewAgeGenetics

than yes, they start to stretch immediately than flowering 1-2 weeks later... 60-80 days 12/12 is usually enough.

RskeDelta9

Ok cool thanks new age genetics I figured that just wanted to confirm ... been growing out here since I got here for work why not right thanks

Gizmo

Hi, i would like to know if its possible to calculate the precise ripening date of a strain for my latitude, im at 47°N. the strain is bangi haze, it was bred at 43°N and the ripening date given by the breeder is end of September / early October. i was thinking 4° will make a difference and was guessing October 15 will be the ripening date of bangi haze at my latitude but i would like to know if there is a way to calculate the precise date. thank you very much :)

gorilla ganja

Hey Gizmo, Glad to see your trying Bangi this year. Hopefully it will finish for you properly.
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out with different strains.
According to my handy daylight app. at 43 north on July 23 which is about when Bangi would have to start flowering if it finishes end of Sept.( July 23 + 9 weeks) there is about 14.6 hrs daylight.
At 47 north 14.6 happens on August 3, about 10 days later. But I believe the further north we have more twilight.
It's not an exact science but I think if you doubled the 10 days you would be closer to when it will finish for you. Around 3rd week of October is my guess.
Please pm me if and when it finishes for you as I'm trying to figure this all out as well.
It's nice that Ace posts there breeding latitude as most breeders don't.

Peace GG

Good luck

Gizmo

Hello gorilla ganja, how are you man ? i keep searching for the best strains i could try at my latitude, potency is really the more important to me as iam used to grow and smoke haze crosses from indoor and its not easy to find an outdoor strain homogenous inbred line, early sativa dominant with good resistance to mold but yes i have bangi haze on my list maybe nepal jam and a few others like KC brains strains, Shantibaba early queen, im still tempted to try a pack of serious 6 too, auto haze crosses from La buena hierba seems interested too and i was looking for smoke a lot seeds breeder brad company as i read lots of good thing about some of his strains, he seems to bred outdoor in Canada so it will be hard to make a choice but im not too hurry to begin as i have a lots of places to visit to find good spots for guerilla.

How do you know the date when the plants begin flowering at the various latitude gorilla ganja please ?

Dubi from Ace seeds i have exchange a few pm with him about bangi haze, he seems to be a very nice cool man. Ace seeds looks like an happy breeders team i like them, their zamaldelica and oldtimer haze make me dream of basements full of green :biggrin:

Thank you gorilla ganja, see you later :)

Last edited:

Zefy

It's hard to calculate precise ripening date for outdoor, one week of full sun or one week of cloudy/rainy days makes a difference...
At my latitude (I am at 46) most commercial strains starts flowering 15-20 avgust and are finished 10-20 october...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
not sure if this has been posted before but it helped me a lot, especially when pulling plastic...