What's new

Finished Indoor - 3k w, yield 12oz dry... whats wrong?

jrodgers

Friend finished up an indoor yield, had plenty of equipment on hand, can't seem to figure out what led to such a small yield. Here are some details if anyone could lend some insight

(3) 1000w hortilux's w/ sun hoods
2" 6" vortexs piping air through the hoods and out of room

20 clones vegged for 2months and flowered for 2.
Soil grow, no ferts.

Seeds were just some seeds pulled from some various headies bags.

Total yield dry was around 12oz.. do you all think this is a genetics issue? It was a first grow, but still with 3k w and that kind of time invested as far as flowering and veg time... I would have expected more?

u learned the best lesson there is, why waste 4+ months on bagseeds to loose about 50+ percent on yeild when decent high yeilding seeds only would of cost u a few hundred.

12 ounces still sounds pretty fun though, count your blessings but next time get better genes.

plus no food? that was a huge mistake

jrodgers

Thats what I told him, was that it was probably genetics as the room he showed me looked quite nice. Temps mid 70s.

He was convinced that even though the clones he had came from a bag, that since it was a bag of headies they would be good yielding plants... Not the best smoke and def not a lot. When people say 1gpw that refers to dry wt right?

slackx

Veteran
Great high yielding seeds can be purchased for less than 50 usd. Elite genetics are between 100-180. If you ran 3k your first run money obviously isn't a problem for you pick up some legit beans and not just peoples accidental hermie crosses in bag seeds.

jrodgers

Do you suggest getting fem seeds? I've made a list of some things of interest...

the hog
big bud
critical mass
ak47
true blueberry
Nirvana's Wonder Women
Nirvana's Fem Wonder Women
KC36
Bog Bubble
nl #5

slackx

Veteran
sometimes fems dont have the vigour some male female crosses do. Check out tom hill, dutchgrown, karma genetics, grindhouse, and reservoir. You'll find something really fancy - if your skills are novice stay away from chem crosses their a little sensitive. I'd personally say grab yourself some dutchgrown mix pack you'll be very happy.

http://seedbay.com/index.php?a=2&b=22147

Yeah, its dry weight. At one gram per watt, a 1000w light should pull a kilo, but that's not realistic under most circumstances. Realistically, a pound per light should be within norms for beginner. At least he didn't get poked in the eye with a stick; twelve oz is better than nothing. Anybody got pics of a proper gram per watt harvest with 3k? Biggest faux pas would be the no ferts...even crappy genes can be augmented by a proper nutrient regimen. Did he put anything in the soil at all in the way of amendments, and what kind of soil?

jrodgers

Also I was thinking these lights were just hung in the back corner of a room, the room itself was huge, so the light wasn't contained much at all...

nuggetshiner

Know what burns my ass? Flames bout 3 ft high.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, where to start...

Wow, where to start...

hey jrodgers. Sorry to hear things aren't going so well. I'll try and
point a few things out that might help next time.
Please take this as a critique not critisism. Thats how it's meant.
1. Unless it's your grow I wouldn't try to figure out his probs.
Too many variables you may not know about.
2. "had plenty of equipment on hand", kinda like a skier who
thinks a $1000 skis will make them better. Still gotta learn to
ski. All the equipment in the world does not make a good
grower. Practice, which your friend is getting.
3. 3- 1k Hortilux - Hps, MH or Blue? It matters to help you.
4. Soil grow. no ferts. No ferts? Why? Hard to yield and grow
with no food. Need more info.
5. Seeds were just some seeds pulled from some various headies
bags. Lol, well thats a crapshoot. You could get lucky but for
me I wouldn't want to put 4 to 5 months of love and care
into an unknown bagseed that can herm, yeild low, finish in
15 weeks and a myriad of other issues. Buying quality seeds
can remove a lot of questions bout yield, stretch, etc.
6. do you all think this is a genetics issue? Pix, pix, pix. How
can we tell? Pix speak a thousand words. A good grower can
usually determine some of the issues from pics.
7. 3k w and that kind of time invested as far as flowering and
veg time... I would have expected more? There could be so
many reasons...
Over watering (this kills yield)
Under watering
Lack of food - (no ferts)
Bugs
Old bulbs
Bad ballast
Genetics
Poor soil
PH (very, very important for good grow)
The list goes on.
I run a 3k bloom room with 24 to 28 girls. If I mono-cropped I
would harvest between 3 and 4 oz's per plant depending on
strain (genetic yeild), and lighting, some get more light than
others. That's 88 to 110 oz's or 5.5 to 6.4 lbs so yes your
harvest is pretty light. :(
When I started this post there were no other posts. lol.
If I'm being to hard on ya let me know. :)
ns

Last edited:

jrodgers

Not being hard, definitely appreciate all comments. When you run your 3k bloom room, what size is it? Also another question I had was, do I need to veg under 3k HPS (theres your answer as I left HPS out in the OP) or can I veg under less wattage then flowering?

Reason I ask is there are (5) 1000w's, I just am not sure the best way to safely run 5k....

jrodgers

Also of the strains I listed above, which do you believe are to be the easiest to manage, and perhaps best yielders?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yes 1gpw is dry weight, but did you have any bug problems or mildew/mold? How long were the plants in their original pots/soil? Any soil will run out of its built-in amendments in about 4 weeks, so 2 months of veg alone means they were probably yellow and starving by the time you flipped them. How big were the pots you had them in?

When I veg something for two months I get about 6-8oz per plant, but they need to be transplanted several times for best results. Even doing a 4 week veg I get 2-4 oz per plant, depending on strain.

bobman

were these clones or were they from seeds? What do you mean light was in the corner of the room? I think these are the 2 big problems. How big were they when flowered? If they were from seed 2 month is not long enough for a veg especially for 20 plants under 3k. Overkill. They probably were not sexually mature. Genetics and feeding play a huge role but .112 grams per watt is really really low.

IceCream

use mh for veg, the blue hortilux are my favorite, and you shouldnt need as much wattage for veg as flower . hope the yields increase =)

bobman

Also when you say soil was it amended with anything? I saw a thread on a forum somewhere where a guy claimed to use only miracle grow and not feed at all and grew some nice plants. If the soil was amended properly you could get away without feeding, maybe, although with 3k of lights those plants must have been hungry.

nuggetshiner

Know what burns my ass? Flames bout 3 ft high.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jrodgers - When you run your 3k bloom room, what size is it? Also another question I had was, do I need to veg under 3k HPS (theres your answer as I left HPS out in the OP) or can I veg under less wattage then flowering?
My bloom area is approx. 9ft x 12ft. I veg under a 1k mh so I veg
with 1/3 the wattage of bloom.Hope you get it all dialed in for
next time. Like I said before for any real help you need pics.
Oh, maybe you didn't take any during the grow and now it's down?
Duh... nuggetshiner!
Only grown Nir Big Bud from your list. It was a medium to good
yielder. Very stretchy branchy plant. I've seen blueberry to be a
low to medium yielder. Never grown the others. My experience
with Nirvana hasn't been that good.
Hope it all werks out for ya, ns

jrodgers

So MH is the most optimal for vegging, is there really any benefit to upping the wattage while vegging or at least keeping it the same as flowering?

Latest posts

Latest posts