What's new

Finding Anonymous Grows on Google Earth

LazLo

silverback

The potential growers I ran off this spring with my "notices" no doubt used GE to locate the 7 clearings I posted. They were rookies and the sites were poorly chosen. The frightening thing about it is that the satellite images could be checked and those clearings will show up.

That technology is a two edged sword. I can make out a runner on GE on the paved path I use to get to the woods I grow in. At least neither me or my vehicle is pictured on the "street view" of GE for my neighborhood.

minds_I

USGS has it's advantages but state, county, township and other local maps are the best. The local libraries and historical societies have collections detailing every use of the land thru time. There are far too many dump sites of industrial waste not noted anywhere but those collections. Not every subdivision was built on farmland. Remember NY Love Canal?

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
You can scout areas using the online mapping sites but the only way to really know the pros and cons of any growing site is to get aquainted with them over time by visiting them. At all times of the day and night and every season. I avoid ALL privately owned land. That empty plot you picked out could be the "favorite" spot of some landowner for their own purpose. Public lands are not as well cared for nor well monitored. The federal lands are the least desirable since so many have been used by commercial growers and found due to size. County and township public lands are the best since money is always tight for them.

Whatever you do to locate a grow site elevate, stay out of my neighborhood. Don't need any more SNOOPS. We have our quota.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Revisions are the key to a successful life.

J

Jack Crevalle

I have spent countless hours on Google Earth. The majority of those hours would have to be dedicated to hunting for random grow spots, in California primarily. I search my area around the Santa Cruz Mountains, Humboldt, Mendocino, Arcata, and maybe a few other popular grow towns.

But, nonetheless, I have found nothing really. I know the plants would have to be monsters to even have a chance of detecting, but I figure California is home to monster medical growers.

Has anyone else wasted as much time as me looking at Google Earth? And have you happened to run into any suspected grows? Snapshot and post what you think might be a grow, and PLEASE DO NOT GIVE EXACT LOCATION!

So, I am sorry I have none to post.... but I'm still searching!

What are you, some kind of ripper? LOL Dude, step slowly away from the computer...

zonkerpup

I've been able to see my own grow from a couple years ago using mapquest. The plants were about 5 foot at the time, but they blended in well with the 12 foot hedges that the garden butts up against. Looked like giant tomatoe bushes. I do a lot of LST. This year it looks like I have just one continous hedge out there.