What's new

Finding a lost strain

Hi all,

Here are the last shots of the last plants to come out from the Afghan x MK-Ultra breeding project. I guess stage I of the breeding is done, seeds started, tested, and clones retained for breeding. Now to the next fun part, waiting for things to cure and completely testing the strains before breeding takes place.

I am moving in 5 weeks or so, so I don't think I will breed these plants yet before I go, just grow a bunch of sensi buds. It seems whenever I have males I leak pollen and end up making more seeds than I want. I guess it is not that bad considering I had 14 males flowering at one point which I picked from like 30 or so. I need to be more diligent at pulling males at the first pollen sacks, and then more careful when attending to the male boxes/chambers.

Anyways, I have 13 female clones retained for the project. I plan on picking the best 5-7 or these from this test run of the seedlings, then I will grow some hydroponic Afghan x MK-Ultra test batches with the clones I have saved. The Afghan clone was not as good in soil as hydro when I had her back in the day. So I think I should test the best of the best clones from this project in Hydro to really see which is what I want. I have put a lot of time into this project and want to be entirely sure.

For me I need to grow at least 2-3 clones of each in some hydro batches. Perhaps I will grow 2-3 batches of 7-8 plants back to back and try to dial the strain in a little. With each batch I should learn a little and improve them to get an idea of what might be optimal for me.

Anyways, here are some of the ladies which got the chop. Sadly all of these were not cloned as they are the last plants that went through. Also sad is that they represent a pheno that I may have been interested in. Not for this project, but all of these slow to veg plants which I did not clone at the end have the MK-Ultra phenotype. It is like they got almost all their traits from the father in the breed. I find that really weird, especially since I only had 26 female phenotypes.

Here they are, the similarities are somewhat clear from the pictures, except for 2 of them, they are slow vegging Afghan looking plants apparently.

This is the first Afghan looking plant, #41
picture.php

Here are 3 of the MK-Ultra looking plants, they all smell very similar as well.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This plant is the largest of the MK-Ultra phenotypes from this line. This plant in particular is why I am upset for not cloning these plants, it is almost identical to MK-Ultra but only looks bigger. It has nothing to do with the breeding project, but it would have been a nice clone to hold onto. It looks so similar to the female MK-Ultra plant I had that I feel I messed up when I made the seeds originally and put an MK x MK seed in the Afghan x MK bag of seeds?
picture.php

This plant is the last out, a little short plant which would not veg for shit, but it really put out a nice fat cola on top. Especially large for the size of this plant. It smells and looks like Afghan, but I would not have used her for the project due to her poor poor veg time. This was definitely the runt of the litter so to speak.
picture.php

That is all for the plants, perhaps a smoke report in a bit.

Peace all.

#11 Smoke Report

#11 Smoke Report

Hi all,

I am kinda being lazy and smoking a bunch before working in the garden, but I think I will do more quality work when I am in a better mood.

On that note, I am currently testing this out,

Afghan x MK-Ultra #11

picture.php

picture.php

The buds are quite light green in color, the pistils very light and short. Not like #31, but still shorter than other strains I grow. The smell of this medicine is amazing. There are initial smells of berry, orange/citrus, and sweet gum-like aroma, not as sweet as bubblegum(the weed) but sweet. On top of the sweetness is a sort of musky afghan/kush undertones.

I got these really nice shade grown tobacco leaf wraps, but I decided to go with a swisher to test as that is what I have tested everything else with. I would put money on this Afghan tasting amazing in those shade grown wrap leaves. Anyways, the first half of the blunt tasted amazingly like the musky afghan/kush flavor. The taste is really strong, overpowering the strawberry on the swisher sweet blunt.

I really didn't taste the sweetness at first. The stink in the air and my mouth and nose from the afghan was too much, but now I can sense the sweet gum-like flavor and a bit of the citrus notes. A lot of people would tell me my Afghan had a citrus-like stink, I definitely notice that in this plant.

Back to the breeding project, this plant was grown in the basement, which had about 10F colder temperatures all around compared to my main grow room. The plants down there were #7,9,11,12,14,15,50,51.

To recap, #14 was a freak plant, somehow 2 weird sativa's came from this project, neither harvested well, but I imagine they needed very different fertilizer regiments to be successful. The first plant was #34 upstairs which was annihilated by spider mites and I killed it and saved clones to save the rest of my grow room. The other was #14 a really lanky plant which finished in like 9 weeks, but harvested ridiculously little herb.

#7,9,11,12, and 15 are all almost identical phenotypes. I am not sure if this is due to the temperature difference affecting the phenotypes in general to swing towards one end of the spectrum, or if it is just weird luck. I guess they are all the faster vegging plants as they are numbered by their height in veg.

#50 and 51 are a different phenotype, they are still drying, I have not even tested to see if they are dry. #11 which was tested above has cured for about 10 days now, I cannot wait to see how much of this fruity flavor will come out in the smoke as it cures.

Back to the larger phenotype group, including #11, I have clones of #7 and #9. Earlier I was thinking that #7 would be the better choice, but currently I am thinking #9 will be the better choice, it seems to have less herm flowers and has a smoother and sweeter smoke. I will do a smoke report comparing and contrasting the two. Perhaps I will have a patient over and we will smoke 2 blunts back to back to really get a direct comparison.

Anyways, I am really medicated. I think I will go do my gardening.

Peace

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Tagged, interesting thread.

I bought a bag of herb years ago that killed my migraine headaches completely, which not even heavy doses of opiates can do. This was WAYYYY before I even considered becoming medical... So now I collect strains like some people collect baseball cards, in search of that elusive migraine-killer pheno. :)

Point of that is: I totally empathize with your mission, and I hope you find what you're looking for. :ying:

You said you and your patients, what state if you don't mind my asking?

Peace! :wave:

Hi BudGood, thanks for stopping in, I am in Michigan. Most my patients use the medicine for various chronic pain, migraines, etc...

I really do not experience migraines luckily, but some caregiver friends of mine say certain sativa varieties really help their pain.

Good luck on your search, I am testing some Afghan x MK-Ultra #38 currently, she is really tasty, I think it is almost dry, perhaps tomorrow afternoon I will chop her up. This breeding project is off a bag-seed Afghan, crossed with MK-Ultra. My goal is to isolate the Afghan part and retain some seeds/clones of plants very similar to the bag-seed I lost.

Peace

M

MacGyver420

dang man, you do got alot goin on in this thread --

heres to finding the lost strain!!! :dance013: or at least a new one that you deem worthy =)

Revival of thread

Revival of thread

Hi all,

I have not posted in months it seems, I was in the process of moving across the state, which was a two part ordeal, but I surely have not been doing nothing this whole time...

I am running a side-by-side of ebb flow hydro vs. top feed. The plants are the remaining 8 phenotypes of Afghan x MK-Ultra which I have been holding. We have the following:

Af/MK sat. pheno - #7,9
This group is a mix of flavors from Afghan and MK-Ultra and has more sativa characteristics than the original Afghan plant.

Af pheno - #17,20,38,39
This group is very similar to the Afghan with 38 and 39 looking good, especially 38 when you all see the pics.

Af/MK ind. pheno - #50,51
This group is a mix again but much more indica in nature. I do not believe this group will be breed with as they have some hermaphroditic tendencies and seem weaker than the others. Also I have Sensi Star and other good indicas better than these.

So I have one clone of each in a roughly 2' x 4' ebb/flow tray with 4" rockwool cubes arranged 4 per delta slab. On the other side of the same 1000 watt HPS is two drip trays with the same arrangement of 2 delta slabs with 4 plants per slab. The plants are dripped for around 5 minutes twice during their flowering cycle.

The plants are watered from the same reservoir to keep things fair, although I think it is not advantageous to use the same feeding strength for each method. The nutrients I am running is my own revised schedule for the general hydroponics GO line of nutrients. I am supplementing with both subculture products from GH until 3-4 weeks from harvest.

So far the plants are 4 weeks flowered. I flipped them when they were vegged to 14-16". Some of the phenotypes stretched more than I imagined or remembered them to. This is why I choose to do a second test run of clones in hydro as this is the main method I will use to grow the plants and the main method I grew the best Afghan back in the day.

The ebb flow batch had a over watering problem when I initially put them into the delta slabs upon flowering. I watered the slabs as usual but watered them too soon the first 2 times afterward giving them more water and nutrient then they needed. The plants of course were stunted and 3 of them stunted the most. In the end though I think it may help me determine which pheno's to keep as it can eliminate some which are more susceptible to over watering.

The plants in the ebb/flow tray seem to be about 80% the size of the top-feed because of the over watering. This also leads me to run top-feed on my other hydro trays as it is less likely to mess up. The only problem in the top feed plants so far is the GO clogged the drippers after about a week, so I removed the restricters and essentially have open lines on top of each 4" cube under the block cover. Also, there is a weird mutated plant which I think got that way from a lack of light from the other plants. It is a pheno which is messed up from over watering in the ebb/flow tray, so that pheno is definitely gone.

Here is a quick pic lineup of the plants from clone till now. There are many more pics in the album to flip through for everyone's pleasure.

Clones:
picture.php

picture.php

Veg:
picture.php

day 1:
picture.php

day 8:
picture.php

day 15:
picture.php

day 25:
picture.php

day 31:
picture.php

That should catch everyone up on breeding project. I am still looking for the best Afghan phenotype to make some F2 with my 4 male Afghan x MK-Ultra. I will get some shots of specific plants along with cured nugs I am still holding from the first soil test run soon.

Peace all.

More Pics.

More Pics.

Those pics were not satisfying enough so here are a few of the nicer shots from various points in the album.

Here is an early shot showing the ebb/flow slabs and the top-feed lines and such.

day 8
picture.php

random plant from day 15
picture.php

This beast in the upper right is #38 referenced above. - day 25
picture.php

Here are some of the nicer cola's from day 31.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace all.

Hi all,

I guess I forgot to update this thread, I have three going at the moment. Here is a collection of pics which were taken 2-3 days ago. The Afghan x MK-Ultra plants are really taking off. The Top-Feed plants are creeping over to the next 1000 watt light so much it is rediculous. There is no stopping them now, I should have noticed and tied them back earlier, but whatever it will be all good, at least it looks good so far.

I think these pics the plants are 5 weeks flowered, most of them are 9 week plants, so I guess we are at just past the halfway point. A few plants are showing different needs for feeding which is annoying here because all 8 phenotypes are feeding off the same reservoir. There is one mutant plant I have been watching as it may turn herm and I do not choose to grow it at all past the sight of male flowers.

So far I think I may drop the Af/MK Indica phenotypes #50,51. #50 is the mutant I think, and neither is really that memorable when smoked. They are good smoke, just not a great or memorable taste as in my pure Afghan phenotypes. Also, in the pics it is clear that #38 is a beast of a plant. Even in the ebb/flow table where the plants where overwatered initially and hence over fertilized, #38 still shows dominance over the other phenotypes! Hence, #39 which was the competitor is gone.

I will probably flower those three mothers shortly here to make space in my veg room, they are about 2' tall and quite bushy from various clonings.

Here is the whole gang.
picture.php

You can see the mutant plant in the back left of the pick, it is second from left. I think it may have been shadowed out by the other clones and hence stretched like crazy. Then the plant is too tall and its top does not get direct light. This must have been what affected it so much. The other 7 plants in the top-feed trays are doing so well, it is hard to think that that 1 had other problems.

This is #17, orginally I thought it to be a pure Af pheno but now I think there is some more MK in there by her structure and extra spice flavor when well cured(over 3 months!).
picture.php

a closeup
picture.php

This is #38 in the Top-Feed tray.
picture.php

The plant above is the main top in the middle, one to the left, front, and two to the right leaning off the edge to the next 1000 watt light. There is actually a large top like the one in the front behind the main top. I really need to take a pic of the branch structure of this thing, it is amazing!

picture.php

I am not sure why that plant looks so weird, that is the really photogenic plant above when originally grown in soil.

picture.php

I am not sure which of the previous two I will keep, the last straw may be whichever does not herm out here, I seem to remember that one of the two does when flowered longer than 9 weeks.

picture.php

The plant above is the one which lost to #38. From the soil grows, I thought the 2 plants were identical maybe different a little bit in flavor and size, but 90 some % similar. In this hydro grow I am really seeing differences in the phenotypes and this one is really spindly currently and does not have the awesome branching/mutli-top structure in comparison to #38.

I guess that is all for now. I need to get some cured pics up of these phenotypes still from the last soil grow before it is all gone. Perhaps I should play with the digital microscope and take a look at some old resins on 4 month cured golden nuggets.

Peace all.

End of Week 6 Update

End of Week 6 Update

Hi all,

I have been having some problems with the GO fertlizers recently, so I decided to start checking the pH, and it seems to fluctuate wildly with the subcultures M and B. Anyways, I have been working on it, and hopefully I can recover these plants in the last weeks of feeding here.

Another crappy thing which is my fault is that some of the plants are burning from there extreme( less than 6 inches ) to the 1000 watt. I re-mounted my reflector with different hooks and saved like 2 inches which is a world of difference. I wish I wasn't so stupid to have not done this a week ago, that would have been another world of difference, but anyways.

Lastly, the light stress and overwatering stress from weeks ago on the ebb/flow side of things has shown some herms which is helping me decide which phenotypes to keep and which to breed with and such.

First off, #7 was overwatered, as was #9 in the ebb/flow, stunting their growth. #7 is showing nanners lowdown on the most bottom growth, and #9 isn't. #9 will be saved as a clone and perhaps mixed with something else for a different hybrid at a different time, but not here.

Next, the most burned plant is #20 in the TopFeed side. She is so close to the light, I have no idea why I left it there so long, but whatever, she showed a nanner in the middle of the main cola as a result. #17 is very similar and in my opinion better, more MK-Ultra influence on structure and flavor! She did not get any nanners, so she wins in this case and #20 is gone.

The Af/MK indica phenotype group, #50 and 51 are both gone. I have decided that these are not better than #9 and I do not wish to keep them. It is not that they are bad, although #51 is a little mutated from lack of light, and she is herming on the ebb/flow side, so I guess #50 wins, but I like #9 better, more sativa.

Lastly, #39 has hermed a bit, and #38 which was the competitor is a beast with no signs of stress from light damage or nutrient stress or overwatering, etc... I really like #38 and I think this is the plant I have been looking for for the female stock for this breeding project to move to the F2 stage.

That all said, #9 and #17 are being kept as long as they don't herm out in the last few weeks here. I will grow them as select clones and perhaps breed with them if they prove valuable in comparison to other strains I have. #38 is what I am going to keep and call my "Afghan" plant.

I really like DJ Short and his writings. In this case I feel this plant is better than the original Afghan I had. It has a better structure and yield, and the flavor is exactly the same. This is the key things to moving a breeding project forward, picking progeny that are better than what you started with, at least in some aspects.

Saved up, I have 3 ordinary Afghan x MK-Ultra males and 1 tri-cot Afghan x MK-Ultra male which now is hard to distinguish as it is quite old( 10 months ). I plan on cutting 4 clones, one of each male, and 8 clones of the "Afghan"(#38) plant and flowering them as rooted clones under either 150 watts or 300 watts.

I really don't care about yield here, just want 75-150 grams of herb to pick out 1000 seeds or so. I have all the equipment, just need the motivation to get started on this. Usually cutting the clones is the first step, but I have to wait a week or so due to a demand for clones from friends.

Anyways, enough blabbering here are the pics from this morning.

whole gang
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Peace all.

M

MacGyver420

good to see you doin your thing still pez; they look to be recovering fine; i like how 38 is lookin;

peace

Thanks man,

I am ready to do some breading, #38 definitely won the battle to breed. I cannot wait to see what other traits come out in the F2 generation.

Peace.