What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fimming and stretch

A little help for a guerrilla grower from NC. I fimmed my plants (Indica and Sativas) July 5th. A couple days later they started showing their sex. Pre-flower pistils. I don't expect them to start flowering until late July. Did I screw up and fim too late? Also, when does the stretch happen outdoors? (Southeastern USA) These plants are 5 to 6 feet tall. Is it possible they have stretched already even though flowering has not started?

thejact55

Kinda quiet here, so ill offer my opinion.

- fimmed a touch late IMO, but i feel that youll be fine. Plants start flowering late july earliest. They should recover and lower branches should still shoot up. I think yeild will be affected somewhat though, as there isnt a ton of time for them to bulk up, let alone have multiple tops become developed. All is not lost though. Just cause they show preflowers, does not mean they are florwering. My preflowers have shown way before this.

My thoughts on stretch. Indoors there seems to be substantial stretch when put in flowering. Outdoors it seems to be more random. I have many plants, even some in one gallon pots, that are 5-6' tall. These plants that are already tall, I feel confident they wont surpass 7-8'. Some plants stretch late, but alot stretch ahead of time outdoors, and dont double or triple in size like they might indoors. Using my case, lets say i veg for 5 weeks indoors on 24 hours of light, common situation. They are not old, and used to constant light. When its switched to 12/12, i feel there is "panic" in the plant and it is reaching for what it is used to. Outdoors plants tend to be more mature and are slowly switched to flowering, so less stretch is present later on, in my experience. Super sativas although can stretch heavily. Western strains dont seem to grow much past august for me height wise. Im way north.

Hope this helps

Yeah, last year I didn't top or fim so I didn't pay attention to when the stretch happened. I recall having 8 and 9 foot plants. Was hopping to avoid that this year. My biggest concern is that I fimmed too late and that the shoots would not develop before flowering started, then I would loose the weight from what should have been the main cola(s) As long as I get a little more stretch, and budding doesn't start until late July, I should be ok. I appreciate your input.

I fim continuosly!

Currently got 2 plants(Dinafem Blue Widow) that need to start my operation!
Hoping to take 12 x clones off each plant within 2 months...

This requires serious fimming! I don't top my plants, i fim at +/- 4 nodes. once re-veg starts nicely, i fim all growth points hoping for the bush effect.

Stop fimming and rely purely on lst from 1st day in flowering!

Latest posts

Latest posts