What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fighting for Kaya

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
This is Kaya
picture.php

The picture was taken when she was just over a year old. She is now a few months short of 9 yrs and though she still looks good, she is very sick. We noticed that she wasn't rushing to eat and kind of lethargic but shes always been a little picky about her dinner and it's been hot as hell in SoCal so we didnt think too much about it. Sunday we decided things weren't right and took her to the vet. Long story short-ish...she has nodules through out her liver and spline. The vet was going to take a needle biopsy but did a blood clot test before hand and she didnt clot anywhere near normal.
I have brought her home and hope to improve her quality of life for the time she has. I am also holding out hope to extend her time with us. The doctor said she estimated Kaya had "weeks to months" left. I'm going for a year. My great grandfather came to San Diego from England because he was told that he would extend his life by a year due to the drier climate ( he sustained a respiratory compromising injury in WWI ). He lived 64 more years after the move so weirder shit has happened!
Tonight Kaya received her first dose (0.5 mL) of canna infused coconut oil.I make pretty good oil so I'm hoping it'll be an ok dose. I'll be having my oil tested and will document the potency and dosages. I also have some fresh/frozen CBD rich material that I'll bring in to the mix as soon as I can work with it
If you have any input regarding dosages, THC vs CBD, etc please post. She is currently 85 lbs though her healthy weight is usually closer to 93

Last edited:

ECtraveler

Veteran
I'm pulling (and praying) for you both my friend. I'm one of those people whose dogs are their family and went through this last year with my 14 yr old pound puppy. I used a CBD/THC blend on her and it didn't save her but she lasted a lot longer than expected and the quality of life improved drastically.

She had gotten to the point where she had to be held up when going to bathroom (and given a week or 2" by the vet) and I was saying my last goodbyes. Then within a week of taking the tinctures she was back to taking walks around the block and back to her old self. I was blessed with 6 more extremely precious months.

CoCoSativas

Good luck with the dog. I don't know how I feel about doping them with marijuana but a) I don't own animals and b) I avoid forming opinions on other, how they treat their animals. Not saying it's wrong but I'm not sure how I feel. A mix of interested and a little scarred it might hurt the dog. While I don't own pets now I have and do like animals especially cats.

I think my worry comes from the lack of science around feeding dogs dope bit as long as it doesn't hurt her that's good.

I guess we will see. This is how science started people trying things

Betterhaff

Veteran
I had an Aussie Shepherd that I was told had months to live (liver polyps via ultrasound). She lived 2 more years. At the time I wasn’t growing so I didn’t give here anything but love. Wishing you the best and for Kaya too.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Carefull how much u give her...

My GSD is a bit of a stoner as she likes her canna-butter for her hips. No hesitation eating her dose..

But be careful especially with new batches..... It might not be much stronger to U, but to your dog it can X the effects.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Thank you all for the responses and kind words. I wouldnt be giving her cannabis for recreational. My biggest concern is NOT making things worse. That said, I feel like I'm out of options ( other than not doing anything). Here's the latest-
I just got back my lab results from the coconut oil I gave her last night and this morning. it is 3.72 mg/mL THC, .81 mg/mL THC-A and trace amounts (.02 mg/mL or less) of CBD, CBN & CBG

The dose of 0.5 mL I gave her last night was too much, at least right now. She didn't seem anxious but did sit and stare in to space a bit. It was no different than when I've brought her back from the vet after having mild sedation. My goal is to improve her quality of life, not completely zone her out.

Today has been a decent day. I received a gift of some CBD rich oil from a fellow member that i'll be incorporating in to our regiment (THANK YOU!). I'll be posting daily logs to document each previous days happenings. A little spoiler about what happened today- She asked to go for a walk :good:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to get this news! Kaya is a bitchin dog! Strong and smart and an absolute magnet for attention! While it is not comparable to the lifetime you and yours have spent w her...just knowing her well enough she stops barking when she smells me through the hole in your fence makes it hit home a little! If any more material is needed for any reason...just hit me

Grow Tech

Veteran
Log for 10/8/15

Log for 10/8/15

^^^ :thank you: ^^^ Extremely appreciated!

Log for 10/8/15

11:00am-1 can wet food + 1/2c brown rice, 0.1 mL THC oil from batch tested 10/8

12:00 noon-Kaya lethargic but willing to come, sit, stay then come, sit, stay in another location

3:00pm-1/2c cooked 85% lean ground beef+ 1/3c brown rice. Still lethargic but tail wagging. Thirsty

4:00pm-Met wife at door w/ tail wagging. Clear she wanted to take a walk. took 15 min. casual stroll

5:40pm- Alert but panting harder than makes sense. I believe this is an indication of discomfort. Gave 50 mg Tramadol (vet said I could give her 100 mg 3x per day)

6:40pm-1/2c cooked ground beef + 1/3c brown rice

9:30pm-1/2c cooked ground beef + 1/3c brown rice. 0.1 mL THC oil

11:00pm-no interest in going outside or moving much. Tail wagging when spoke to

As you can see, a lot of my focus is on her food intake. It's required lots of effort to get her to eat. I've actually been spoon feeding her. Once I get her going she'll eat a little on her own but it requires lots of encouragement. My goal is to get 1000 calories or more in to her daily. I hope to be able to expand her diet some but right now its all about preventing further wasting.

10/8 calorie intake- 1160

DJXX

Veteran
Wishn Kaya and you the best.....may her journey stay as painless as possible...She is so beautiful...DJXX

Grow Tech

Veteran
Log for 10/09/15

Log for 10/09/15

Log for 10/09/15

0730am- Fed 2/3 can wet food + 2/3c brown rice. Followed by 1 drop CBD oil. Seems "normal" for this time of day

1130am- Ate 3.25 oz cooked steak + 4 mini corn tortillas on her own, no prompting required

2:50pm- Fed 1/6 can wet + 1/6c brown rice. She resisted heavily but afte I finished se took a couple nibbles out of her kibble bowl on her own. IMO this supports the thought that keeping her eating however & whatever we can will help the likely hood of her eating on her own

3:30pm- Neighbor knocked at door. Napping Kaya jumped up and gave some good gaurd dog barks. Barks turned to vigorus tail wagging and demands for love when she saw the neighbor. she is now hunting lizards in the back yard

4:30pm- Didn't ask for a walk but jumped up and headed for the front door when I picked up the leash. Took 20 min walk

7:30pm- Tried to feed 4 oz cooked 85% lean ground beef + 1c brown rice. Only ate 1/2(/). Gave 1 drop CBD oil

10:00pm- Added more ground beef to previous leftovers. She resisted heavily but got a chunk in her. It'll have to do...

11:15pm- 1 drop CBD oil

Midnight- Resting comfortably in living room. Paws twitching just a little. Dreamland!

Green Squall

No reason your dog can't make a year. Mine was given 6-9 months in May and he's not even showing symptoms yet. He gets his normal food in the morning, a hard boiled egg in the afternoon and for dinner he gets brown rice, peas and a protein.

The only bad thing is that he has developed a horrible habit of sneaking into the trash can!

St. Phatty

11:00am-1 can wet food + 1/2c brown rice, 0.1 mL THC oil from batch tested 10/8

12:00 noon-Kaya lethargic but willing to come, sit, stay then come, sit, stay in another location

3:00pm-1/2c cooked 85% lean ground beef+ 1/3c brown rice. Still lethargic but tail wagging. Thirsty

6:40pm-1/2c cooked ground beef + 1/3c brown rice

9:30pm-1/2c cooked ground beef + 1/3c brown rice. 0.1 mL THC oil

11:00pm-no interest in going outside or moving much. Tail wagging when spoke to

As you can see, a lot of my focus is on her food intake. It's required lots of effort to get her to eat. I've actually been spoon feeding her.

I have a pet situation that is not as serious, but it also involves encouraging a pet to put on weight.

I was going to ask what food Kaya likes, besides ground beef. e.g. people food, that dogs can eat healthily.

I have an older chicken who was orphaned about the start of the summer. I didn't want her to be alone so I bought 2 new chickens. Anyway, the old one is picking on the new ones and bullying them. So I'm trying to put SERIOUS weight on the 2 new ones, so as to achieve bliss in the Chicken Kingdom.

Is it healthy to give a dog vegetables like broccoli, carrots, etc. ?

Grow Tech

Veteran
We were feeding a decent grade kibble until recently. Before that we were feeding a home.made meat loaf. It was ground turkey & oatmeal. We'd mix in ground celery or other vegetables when we served it. I forget all the different ones we did but def do a Web search for veg safety. I know anything related to solanum (ie tomatoes &peppers is nono). Potatoes are also in that family. Sweet Potatoes on the other hand aren't and used in commercial foods.

We've.also experienced the dynamics of chicken world. Hopefully you can give the 2 younger ones a place to escape if the bullying gets too bad. Our situations always worked themselves out.

Grow Tech

Veteran
Log for 10/10/15

7:30am- Tried feeding 1 can wet food + 3/4c brown rice. Complete fail. Gave 2 drops CBD oil

10:30am- Kaya has no interest in moving. Got her up, she moved 3' and laid back down. Tail wags when talked to

6:00pm- Kaya happy to take a walk

7:00pm- Ate 1 sardine + 1/4c cottage cheese

8:00pm Fed 4oz cooked ground beef

9:00pm Fed 4/5 can of Mackrel. Noticed her nose is bleeding. This is a sypotom of late stage liver failure. Very bad news

10:00pm- No interest in eating more

11:00pm- Gave 50 mg Tramadol

10/10 calorie intake- aprx 800

CoCoSativas

I have a pet situation that is not as serious, but it also involves encouraging a pet to put on weight.

I was going to ask what food Kaya likes, besides ground beef. e.g. people food, that dogs can eat healthily.

I have an older chicken who was orphaned about the start of the summer. I didn't want her to be alone so I bought 2 new chickens. Anyway, the old one is picking on the new ones and bullying them. So I'm trying to put SERIOUS weight on the 2 new ones, so as to achieve bliss in the Chicken Kingdom.

Is it healthy to give a dog vegetables like broccoli, carrots, etc. ?

Dogs can safely eat vegitation and most dog food has some type of veggie in it