What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

Hey guys, hope you guys are enjoying the long weekend. Going to be a rough weekend here. Going to the celebration of life for my uncle in a couple hours. This year just keeps getting worse, my mom has had a family friend staying with her. This lady mabey friends with my mom's neighbor , well Thursday she shot herself in her car next door to my mom's house. For some sick reason, the sheriffs wanted her to notify the family. I was pissed my mom has enough to deal with right now. I guess when it rains it pours. Sorry to bum the thread, haven't been able to talk much about it.

Hope those ribeyes are tasty, we are going to be smoking a couple racks of spare ribs and a couple tri tips on Tuesday, then we are going to a fireworks show. I invited mom but she has to work, and isn't feeling very social. It seems like every year I say this year can't be worse th an last year and I am proven wrong.
Good morning Packerfan.

Yes you are right bad things happen in bunches. At least that is how it seems to me.

I hope the celebration for you uncle was full of positive memories. People live on in others memories far after they are physically gone. He was a good influence to you and his memories can still be.

Man what a lazy sheriff. I hope your mom is able to get her mind off of such a horrible sight. I've had several close to me eat a bullet and it's so sad when someone gives up and does that. Maybe it's better for them than living in whatever misery that makes them choose that.

Other than all the tough times I hope you are getting to enjoy some of the holiday weekend. Like you said making sure your kids have fun on such a nice summer holiday is important.

I hope your ribs and tritip turn out awesome....Fiddy.

packerfan79

Veteran
Thanks fiddynuts, it was a nice ceremony. Getting my ribs and tri tip ready now. Wifey has me pissed off, she has me working all day while she sits on her was. Setting up some more veggies and wanted to take the kids in the pool, she's been gone all day with her lame ass mother. Now I have shit to do and she's leaving for school.

I don't know what the he'll is going on , every day I hear about another suicide, or murder. Thier is a guy walking down the main drag where i live pointing a gun to his head. The heat must be making people nuts.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hope everyone had a happy and safe 4rth of july!
im reminded why the 4rth is one of my favorite holidays of the year
good food wiht family and friends on a warm summer night, what more could you want?!?
fireworks!

we all had a great time at the cook out
its funny you mention cucumber salad because i made on this weekend
it turned out ok, but it was just this bottled poppy seed dressing with motzarella and fresh tomatoes
it turned out good but i would like to try your recipe

the fit bit is cool in that you can get one that displays your heart rate in real time
if you are inclined, you can use that to target a certain type of work out
the app charts all this and tells you how much time you spent in each zone, but if you want to target a certain hear rate that info is at your finger tips
/i used to do interval training and heart rate is a big part of that

hope everyone enjoyed their time off celebrating our nations independence
summer is in full swing, fellas!

packerfan79

Veteran
Had a great weekend with the family, ribs and tri tip came out delicious. Went to see a fireworks show. Overall a great weekend.

Sounds like a,great time pop rocks.

Fiddy, hope you had a good 4th and long weekend

Fiddynut

hope everyone had a happy and safe 4rth of july!
im reminded why the 4rth is one of my favorite holidays of the year
good food wiht family and friends on a warm summer night, what more could you want?!?
fireworks!

we all had a great time at the cook out
its funny you mention cucumber salad because i made on this weekend
it turned out ok, but it was just this bottled poppy seed dressing with motzarella and fresh tomatoes
it turned out good but i would like to try your recipe

the fit bit is cool in that you can get one that displays your heart rate in real time
if you are inclined, you can use that to target a certain type of work out
the app charts all this and tells you how much time you spent in each zone, but if you want to target a certain hear rate that info is at your finger tips
/i used to do interval training and heart rate is a big part of that

hope everyone enjoyed their time off celebrating our nations independence
summer is in full swing, fellas!
Good afternoon pop_rocks.

I too had a happy and safe 4th. Disc golf and fireworks on the 4th were good. We went to a little festival in a near by town with my bro and his wife and 6 year old girl. Lots of fireworks in my neighborhood the whole weekend and Rufus was not super happy about that. He did well though and kind of got use to them. The first year we had him we took him up north for the forth and as soon as the nephews started blasting fireworks he took off running like a big baby. Before Rufus we had a retired hunting lab and that dog loved fireworks. We had to keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't get too close.

Glad your cookout went well. I never got the time to do any cooking over the weekend. I have had a urge to make ribs for a few days and have yet to satisfy it. We even tried to go out for BBQ on Tuesday but everyone was closed. I love the cucumber salad but haven't made it yet this year. Will post recipe tonight when I get home I have to double check since it's been a few months since I made it. The version with poppy seed dressing sounds good. I use dressings to make that kind of stuff too. It works out really good and saves some work. I like a potato salad made with blue cheese dressing and pasta salad with Italian dressing, cheese, sausage, onion, ect.

All that heart rate data sounds useful. Could be a big help on the mountain bike as well to know when to back off a bit or when to peddle harder. Technology can be a wonderful thing. I haven't heard of interval training but I'll check it out. I know I need more cardio.

Summer is defenatly in full swing here it's 90 degrees today and humid. That said it seems like summer is half over and going quickly for me. Soon I'll be hoping for warmer weather.

I hope your short week post Holliday is going well. I'm looking forward to the weekend already. Will post cucumber salad recipe tonight and get off my lazy ass and do a grow update today.

Fiddynut

Had a great weekend with the family, ribs and tri tip came out delicious. Went to see a fireworks show. Overall a great weekend.

Sounds like a,great time pop rocks.

Fiddy, hope you had a good 4th and long weekend
Good afternoon Packerfan.

Glad your holiday was great. That's great your ribs turned out well and the tri tip as well. I'm still pissed I can't find tri tips around here, loved making them when I lived in Oakland. I've been really craving some ribs but too busy to make them. I will try again this weekend and I'll post up a little rite up and some pics.

Glad you had a safe and fun weekend...Fiddy.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings friends.

It's been way too long since I did an update so here goes.

The GB is coming along but I'm not keeping her as healthy as I've kept my last couple plants. I've got some discoloration and rust spots on some of her leaves. I think she is around 40 days or so and I'm thinking about doing a flush on her. When I test my runoff pH it's right there around 6.5 testing with drops. I was thinking a ph issue at the roots causing lockout but that doesn't look like the case. Runoff ppm is about 2500 and that seems high to me. I don't hear much about ppm when growing in soil but I tested it anyway. I know PBP is mostly organic but it has some salts in it so could be a buildup of that. I also need a lot of pH up to get my nute solution to the 6's. I'm wondering if the pH up can build up in the soil and cause issues. Here is a few pics of some of the leaves. Not all the leaves on the plant are affected but more and more the last week or so. I'm watering every 2 days feeding 2 out of every 3 waterings with 20 ml PBP Bloom and 5 ml cal/mag per gallon. Let me know what you guys think about the leaves if you see anything like this before.

Other than the leaf issues she has been coming along nicely. The buds are growing well. This is the first plant where the pistils are pretty much completely swallowed up by the calyx. I've always had a lot of pistils to see and watch turn colors as they mature. Most of the trichomes look milky allredy too. I'm thinking she has like 3 weeks left but I'll have to keep an eye on her, she may finish early. Here are a couple shots of her and her buds.

That's about it for today. Thanks in advance for any advise on the plant health...Fiddy.

packerfan79

Veteran
Hey fiddynut, looks like heat stress on the pics with the top buds, tacoing is usually heat stress. With 2500 ppm runoff, I would start with 50 % strength feed with good runoff, for a couple days ,and then start flushing. Do you flush during the grow normally? It can be beneficial to flush befor flipping to flower. What is the ppm of your feed normally?

Fiddynut

Hey fiddynut, looks like heat stress on the pics with the top buds, tacoing is usually heat stress. With 2500 ppm runoff, I would start with 50 % strength feed with good runoff, for a couple days ,and then start flushing. Do you flush during the grow normally? It can be beneficial to flush befor flipping to flower. What is the ppm of your feed normally?
Good afternoon Packerfan.

Some heat stress makes sense this time of year. The highest temps at the end of the light cycle that I've seen is about 80-82 degrees. Most of the year I can keep it in the mid to high 70's lights on. Only way to cool my basement where the tents are is to turn on the AC and let the cool air sink down there. It's been warm but not enough to keep the AC on last couple weeks but it's on today and temps will be down tonight (I run my lights at night). I know your supposed to keep temps below 80 for best results. I will have a look right at lights on and see if they are taco'd during their night too temps will be in low to mid 70's.

I did test ppm of my nutes and water a couple months ago and found that with just the pure bloom pro and pH up its around 1000-1100. Not sure how much the 5ml of cal mag would raise that. As I was saying I don't hear much about ppm in the soil grows so I don't have a lot to compare my numbers to. With a higher dose of PBP than I'm using now (25ml/gal) plus cal/mag I had estimated total ppm's at around 1400. So at 20ml/gal I'm thinking I'm no higher than 1200.Where I do see people talking ppm is the coco and other hydro threads. From what I've read I'm thinking that 12-1400 is about the max I see people using in coco. Not sure if you can even compare the two apples to apples though. This is also the first full grow since I got RO filters so I'm trying to learn how to tell if the plants want more or less of the cal/mag. I know plants love calcium but I know too much can cause issues. The nutes say feed with every watering but since I water every two days I'm skipping the feed and cal/mag every third watering.

packerfan79

Veteran
In soil I would feed , feed, water. Plants in soil need water. 1400 is to strong in my opinion. I have gone up to 1350 and got fairly burnt. I stay under 1000 now. Less is more. Cal mag isn't really required in flower or at least much lower than veg. 80-85 is fine for most strains as long as you are getting a good supply of fresh air.I would say check you ppm and ph until you get more experience.

Floridian

Veteran
Fiddy 82F is not causing that,I should have told you but probably didn't too much calcium will cause a magnesium lockout,and that's what I think is happening here.I use cam-mag 3 or 4 times during the 60 day flowering cycle only because I remember having problems like this and thinking it was a PH or temp issue.It was a lack of mag during flower due to too much calcium.I actually learned this when still using my calciumated tapwater and noticed the same looking fans when I started with my R/O with calmag every time I ferted.I was giving way too much calcium that's all it was.Remember calmag plus no more than once every couple weeks along with a full dose of PBP 2 out of 3 waterings until week 6 or so you'll see greener leaves throughout flower

Fiddynut

Creamy dill cucumber salad

Creamy dill cucumber salad

Here is the recipe for the cucumber salad.
The list is for the stock recipe ingredients.
I'll talk about how I modify it after the list.
The recipe is from one of my favorite cook books The New Best Recipe

1c sour cream
3Tbs apple cider vinegar
1tsp sugar
1/4c minced fresh dill
Salt and pepper
3 medium cucumbers about 1.5 pounds salted and drained
1/2 medium red onion salted and drained.

Ok first off I leave out the sugar, I like it more sour.

I also use dried dill most of the time. If I can find it fresh at the farmer stand I use it. The good news is that it's great with dried dill. I don't measure how much dry I use I'd gues a couple teaspoons.

I make the sauce first with the sour cream, vinigar, (usually dry) dill, and a few grinds of black pepper. You can add the dill (and sugar if you like it) a little at a time to your taste. I love the clean taste of the dill with the creaminess and the acid in the sour cream and ACV. Don't add any salt yet.

The cucumbers and onion have a lot of water in them and that can make a sauce watery and bland. The way we deal with that is to take the pealed and sliced cucumber and the very thinly sliced onion and salt and drain them. This is an important and easy step. I slice the onion super thin with a v-slicer and go about 1/16" or so on the cucumber. So slice them up and then give them a little coat of table salt, maybe a teaspoon. Once sliced and salted put them in a pasta strainer and put a plate underneath to catch the runoff. Then put a piece of plastic wrap over the veggies and put some heavy stuff on top to put pressure on them. I use cans of beans or tomatoes. Let the veg drain for about an hour and you'll be surprised how much water comes out. Now your sauce will stay creamy.

Add the veg to your sauce and taste for salt, you might need to add some. You can throw some cherry tomatoes just leave them whole and not sliced so they don't water down the sauce. I like to make it a day before and let the veg marinade at least over night for flavor.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I'm in soil and use PBP too. My feed with it used to be 20ml/gal like you are doing. Along with 5ml/gal of calmag. It worked just fine for years. About a year ago I started lookin at ppms and thought that my nute mix was high compared to what I read others were doing on here. So I slowly started lowering my nutes to see how the plants responded.

For the last 6 months Ive been using 10ml/gal of PBP along with 2.5ml/gal of calmag and plants look just as happy as ever. :) My yield actually went up too. Just like Pack said, I still use the calmag at 5ml/gal in veg though.

What I'm sayin is, you should try slowly lowering your nute strength to see if the plants respond better for ya. Took me years to start believing less is more and it seems to work. Only thing I can think of why my yield went up is I was slightly locking out bud stacking by hammering em with nutes. :dunno:

Fiddynut

Fiddy 82F is not causing that,I should have told you but probably didn't too much calcium will cause a magnesium lockout,and that's what I think is happening here.I use cam-mag 3 or 4 times during the 60 day flowering cycle only because I remember having problems like this and thinking it was a PH or temp issue.It was a lack of mag during flower due to too much calcium.I actually learned this when still using my calciumated tapwater and noticed the same looking fans when I started with my R/O with calmag every time I ferted.I was giving way too much calcium that's all it was.Remember calmag plus no more than once every couple weeks along with a full dose of PBP 2 out of 3 waterings until week 6 or so you'll see greener leaves throughout flower
Packerfan said:
In soil I would feed , feed, water. Plants in soil need water. 1400 is to strong in my opinion. I have gone up to 1350 and got fairly burnt. I stay under 1000 now. Less is more. Cal mag isn't really required in flower or at least much lower than veg. 80-85 is fine for most strains as long as you are getting a good supply of fresh air.I would say check you ppm and ph until you get more experience.

I think I see the mag deficiency and was wondering about that. I knew too much ca was bad for other things but I had mistakenly thought that cal/mag had the right ratio for keeping lockout from happening. I also didn't know that they don't need it as much in flower.

I'll discontinue the cal/mag and do a light flush with light nutes. It's probably too late for this girl to be pretty again but the important thing is I learned something. I don't mind making mistakes as long as I learn something from them.

Thanks guys I think this will be a great lesson for me and will pay off in future grows. I have a lot to learn still but I've learned lots every run and I'll get this dialed yet someday.

Fiddynut

I'm in soil and use PBP too. My feed with it used to be 20ml/gal like you are doing. Along with 5ml/gal of calmag. It worked just fine for years. About a year ago I started lookin at ppms and thought that my nute mix was high compared to what I read others were doing on here. So I slowly started lowering my nutes to see how the plants responded.

For the last 6 months Ive been using 10ml/gal of PBP along with 2.5ml/gal of calmag and plants look just as happy as ever. :) My yield actually went up too. Just like Pack said, I still use the calmag at 5ml/gal in veg though.

What I'm sayin is, you should try slowly lowering your nute strength to see if the plants respond better for ya. Took me years to start believing less is more and it seems to work. Only thing I can think of why my yield went up is I was slightly locking out bud stacking by hammering em with nutes. :dunno:
Good evening Vanilla Phoenix

Welcome to this thread. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience. I'm growing about a year now and need all the help I can get sometimes. I like the less is more philosophy. I'm kind of embarrassed that I'm over feeding the girls because I started out with the more is less philosophy but starved my first couple grows and have been determined not to do that again. Live and learn I do...Fiddy.

packerfan79

Veteran
Good evening Vanilla Phoenix

Welcome to this thread. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience. I'm growing about a year now and need all the help I can get sometimes. I like the less is more philosophy. I'm kind of embarrassed that I'm over feeding the girls because I started out with the more is less philosophy but starved my first couple grows and have been determined not to do that again. Live and learn I do...Fiddy.

Don't be embarrassed, it's very common. I know growers who have been doing big grows who don't learn less is more. As long as you learn. In the future dripclean works wonders to prevent salt build up.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thanks for the recipe man!
that is brilliant using salt and pressure to get rid of some of the excess water!
the cucumber salad i made this weekend was fine fresh but the leftovers were very soupy
i am going to make it your way next teim and i will let you know how it turns out.
the potato salad sounds really good too
that has to be one of the top cook out sides!
the mrs makes her potato salad with vinegar, like a german potato salad
its good but i woundent mind trying something new

low to mid 80's isnt that bad
even tho you dont want to run your ac, be sure to set up a fan to circulate the air in the basement and maybe place on at the top of the stairs to pull some of that hot air out
how hot is the rest of the house?
it shouldent be that hard to bring the temps down a few degrees
totally agree wiht the others, it sounds like your mix might be running a bit hot
try feeding at like half strength or just feed every third watering until you get a feel for how hungry these gals are

i see the phoenix has landed!
dive in man!
its a good group here in teh jungle and we share ideas on a variety of topics
/i guarantee you will get a kick out of this group!
hope you stick around,brother!

so looking fore ward to the weekend
ive done my best to maintain the holiday state of mind over the short work week
its time to get back into the summer state of mind!

Rodehazrd

Hey phoenix
Welcome to the jungle
Sounds like you have some skills we can learn. Please share.
Fiddy that leaf on the right could have come from my Larry's
I left them in 4" pots for 18 days and they got like that. I gave them bigbloom and fish thinking it was micronutrients at 14 days in those pots. (I was smoking something). I moved them to 6" gave some grow big miko and Bush Doctor microbe water. They did well but those telling leaves are not changed spots and veins remain. They are on 8th set of leaves now and starting to preflower. Just put them in3 gal pots for veg I went 12 days In the 6" could have gone more but roots held all the soil.
I will post pix soon of the leaves.
Compared to headband Larry is a heavy feeder. Whatever caused that a good feeding and bigger pots fixed it up.
Packer fan
Any insights on growing in low humidity? Some of my folks are giving me a chance to grow in a high desert. Humidity seems to hover under 20% a lot. Does that hurt much? We'll pay for water trucked in. I have had success In 20 plant grows but don't know about 75.
We are planning a high tunnel with Chain link walls to meet codes and discourage rippers. Will I need to mist? I hear from the neighborhood no one is legal there but we at least want start out with a clean look.
I'm buying up 400 gal containers to place on Site my local winery buys alcohol in them to make brandy. I think I will use the 30 gal tubs I use now to flower in but am hoping for more Input before I get 75.
Smokemifugotum
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd

I still know more than I comprehend so these explanations really help me
I don't use calmag any more but in reading Budrunner and doc bud I have been loading up heavy on calcium. I use calcytic lime soft phosphate rock and gypsum in my mix and love to spray in veg with calcium nitrate once or twice. My buds gained a lot of weight when I added calcium in the soil but the calmag I never did well with. I seem to do best growing a big microbe community adding lots of rock powder and letting them work it out for themselves. In flower I add only fish hydro at 4oz per gallon in week two and four otherwise tap water. The last few runs terps were over the top and caused some stir if I may brag some.
Rodehazrd

Rodehazrd

Thanks for that explanation calmag never worked for me not well.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts