What's new

Fermented plant extracts

C

c-ray

you can extend AEM but the ratios of microbes will change, it will not exactly be the same..at least that's the disclaimer that the EM manufacturers claim.. likely it will still be useful so long as the pH drops below 3.5.. the rule of thumb is any EM brew below pH 3.5, that smells ok, is good

This may be off topic here. Anyway. I've made an FPE with apple cider vinegar, garlic, and ginger. I will be using it as a foliar to ward off PM.

Question is how long will this FPE last on the shelf? I've been keeping it in the fridge.

Thanks
RD

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Depending on the Acetic acid levels in the vinegar that you used, the safest way to store it would be as you are currently doing - refrigerated.

HTH

CC

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey Rancho did u know that Lacto B as foliarspay, is very good against PM because they lower the pH value off the leaf surface..

@ Extending your Em1 solution i guess that the Lacto B outcompeat the other bacterias if u dont use some light source and air input i guess u end up with just Lacto B in the end, but like u report on the smell there are no sulfur smells ect just strait sour ?

Maby if u add some fish guts and not just sugar u will end up with a different bac consordium, idk but there seam no easy way to extend u EM solution.

On a personal level i first go to play around with homemade Lacto B then i got a bottol off EM-1 and i really liked it but i have noticed that all my brews end with a sour lacto B smell and no sulfur or other smell indicate that the other bacs are working. So i have come to my own small conclution that the Lacto B outcompeat the other bacteria strains because there is no light or air source fore them.

I know i chould check this claim in a microscope and maby i will, but that is my stand right now

Dkgrower

Veteran
Bom Shiva TO c-ray u got me into that Brix thing and will try that out next year in the greenhouse.

U

unthing

lamb's quarters has been mentioned couple times, but has anyone more to say about it?

C

c-ray

it has the highest concentration of P in a leaf according to the Duke DB..

quinoa, amaranth, etc. are similar, great accumulators of a wide variety of nutrient

U

unthing

yeah and you can eat it too!(disclaimer:contains oxalic acid) it's quite easy to find around here, well atleast when in the spring/summer when this snow melts :) i was actually surprised when i learned it's related to quinoa. all these "weeds" taken for granted..

any experiences with it so far, that's what i'm interested about.

W89

Veteran
Hi, today I got a hand full of dandelion leafs/stalks..and big hand full of stinging nettles put them in the blender and gt about a cup and a half of shredded mix, I stuck this in a 10ltr bucket and added good hand full of worm castings. I have stuck couple of air stones in it and gonna leave it bubbling away till tomorrow when i need to water. Do you think I should dilute the mix ?

W89

Veteran
Thanks for your reply, I added about 5 litres of water to the mix as there wasn't enough to water my plants, they had started yellowing a little lack of nitrogen in a pre bought organic soil I got, just a cheap shit one cant get nothing in the part of UK I live even the hydro stores don't sell good organic soils or dry amendments... Ive gone the route of making my own thermocompost and worm castings and am gonna source my amendments from the internet and build a soil in couple months when my composst is ready and my worm casts are too.. I cant wait it will very very satisfying to build my own soil from scratch and grow in it

W89

Veteran
Thanks mate, I already have that website bookmarked... they have some alright stuff on there

Oregonism

yeah and you can eat it too!(disclaimer:contains oxalic acid) it's quite easy to find around here, well atleast when in the spring/summer when this snow melts :) i was actually surprised when i learned it's related to quinoa. all these "weeds" taken for granted..

any experiences with it so far, that's what i'm interested about.

At one time or another they weren't taken for granted. You could write a book about weeds that are escaped from cultivation, because they are numerous:

Docks
Dandelion
Cresses / water cress
other Mustards
sowthistle
nipplewort
other Asteraceae...
plantains
buckwheats
Queen Anne's lace
thistles
chickweed

that's just off the top of my head, these were all cultivated to some degree at some point in time. My guess is that 75-80% of what is called "weeds" were formerly cultivated, then escaped and naturalized.

Oregonism

From the discussion back on page 55 I gather it might be best to do an infusion for 2 or 3 days of any linalool-containing plant material mint, lavender, basil, cilantro, rosemary. Maybe add some of the aloe vera gel before spraying?

Edit: Just from recent research, Linalool could be isomerized or its ions could become an isoprenoid that mimics linalool but is not Linalool [per shape] aka isoprenylation.

As I stated earlier, linalool is NOT a water-soluble compound. Large hydrocarbons are rarely water soluble even though they contain functional groups of non-polars, as long as it it not ionic. Although large hydrocarbons over H10 are insolube even if there is an ionic bond.

Smaller hydrocarbons may be able to be broken [hydrolized] by H20 if there are ionic bonds, but because of CH's unusual non-polar like polar bond, it is probably impossible to find other similar ions.

I want to state over and again, terpenoids of this magnitude are not found in water soluble form it is absolute disinfo.

D

Durdy

Hello all, I have access to a large amount of olive oil pomace as well as orange rinds. While I will be adding a good amount of each to my compost bins I'm also wondering if any good FPE's can be made from these products. Any good info or links come to mind for anybody?

Thanks

:tiphat:

Oregonism

what about the interaction of linalool and microbes?

How so? I like your line of thinking, but I see 3 opinions.....

1. Is there a relationship based on menstrum...[type of solute] even if they can synthesize monoterpenoids, can they survive the menstrum or even be produced?
2. Is the main interaction, predation as a food source?
3. Is there a symbiotic relationship w/ terpenoids and microbes?

[For Fermentation's Sake]
There is a difference between soaking and fermenting. I have always hoped that a "true" fermentation produces sample-able byproducts aka Secondary Metabolites.
As fermentation is achieved, water [h20] is eliminated thru ionic bonds, so that menstrum is eliminated.

Schindler, Joachim. Terpenoids by Microbial Fermentation.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/i300008a005

Is oxygen the limiting factor in interaction?
Cane D.E., Ikeda H. Exploration and mining of the bacterial terpenome.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22039990
......In the last 5-10 years, however, it has become evident that terpenes are also produced by numerous bacteria, especially soil-dwelling Gram-positive organisms such as Streptomyces and other Actinomycetes. Although some microbial terpenes, such as geosmin, the degraded sesquiterpene responsible for the smell of moist soil, the characteristic odor of the earth itself, have been known for over 100 years,........