What's new

Fermented plant extracts

S

SeaMaiden

In my experience a good sniff is sufficient. Saltwater invertebrates are fairly sensitive to Cl, as are nitrifyers. My water treatment experience lies in the aquatic ornamental sides, both hobby and trade, and public aquarium arenas.

Oregonism

Good call, shmalphy. The specimens I collected look a lot like water hemlock, which is pretty poisonous.

However, I cannot find any record of that one in my county; mainly it seems to live in W. Europe. (I'm talking about Oenanthe crocata.) Meanwhile, the Pacific water parsley IS native to my area, and matched the botanical description to a T.

Even so, and despite some records of Native American use of the water parsley as food, databases seem wary of this plant, if only because of its family line.

You bet I'll be careful, and not swigging this one myself (least till I know a lot more about it!)

Smalphy & mapinguari are dead on!

Read, read and read some more.

Wild carrots are everywhere, queen anne's lace is the most common, not directly around water, some may call it "white carrot".

Even waterleaf, I would suggest to not forage with your bare skin. Oftentimes, these plants [read:wild Apiaceae] can be harmful thru skin contact. One distinguishing feature of the most poisonous members are hollow segmented tuber sections just under the soil. The root is slightly larger [read:carrot] just under the soil and can be sliced open to reveal the chambers. Put down, walk away, this is a type of what they gave to Socrates.

The Salish tribe are known to have soaked or chewed roots for headaches and stomaches and to hasten labor in childbirth, lol. But in my "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast ISBN1-55105-040-4] there is a specific WARNING for Pacific Water Parsley Oenanthe sarmentosa! "It is reputed to be poisonous, with toxins related to those of water-hemlock."

It does say also that greeks also used it to flavor wine, no thanks!

But I am very intrigued about the Korean method and would like to hear more about that....

Oregonism

In my experience a good sniff is sufficient. Saltwater invertebrates are fairly sensitive to Cl, as are nitrifyers. My water treatment experience lies in the aquatic ornamental sides, both hobby and trade, and public aquarium arenas.

I will read up on the invertebrates, great suggestion. I can't use the smell test. After spending a year in Afghanistan, my sinuses are basically un-usable in that capacity, sucks. But cannabinoids I CAN smell, go figure, no medical use, yeah right!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Oregonism

If you like eating olives then you'll probably want to avoid reading on how they're processed and have been for several centuries.

I was shocked too - LOL

CC

mapinguari

Veteran
Smalphy is dead on!

Read, read and read some more.

Wild carrots are everywhere, queen anne's lace is the most common, not directly around water, some may call it "white carrot".

Even waterleaf, I would suggest to not forage with your bare skin. Oftentimes, these plants [read:wild Apiaceae] can be harmful thru skin contact. One distinguishing feature of the most poisonous members are hollow segmented tuber sections just under the soil. The root is slightly larger [read:carrot] just under the soil and can be sliced open to reveal the chambers. Put down, walk away, this is a type of what they gave to Socrates.

The Salish tribe are known to have soaked or chewed roots for headaches and stomaches and to hasten labor in childbirth, lol. But in my "Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast ISBN1-55105-040-4] there is a specific WARNING for Pacific Water Parsley Oenanthe sarmentosa! "It is reputed to be poisonous, with toxins related to those of water-hemlock."

It does say also that greeks also used it to flavor wine, no thanks!

But I am very intrigued about the Korean method and would like to hear more about that....

Oregonism, here is the blog that got me looking at these plants: http://rooftopecology.wordpress.com/2009/10/25/korean-natural-farming-fermented-plant-juice/

Oenanthe sarmentosa has many uses recounted in ethnobotanical literature, quite a few of which involve its ingestion for medicinal purposes. There are also references to its use as a poison, as you note.

O. sarmentosa has fine white roots instead of tubers, that's one helpful diagnostic.

But is it useful for gardening? The Phytochemical and Ethnobotanical Databases don't have any information on its chemical constituents, so I'm just going to try it.

Yesterday I picked a bagful. I'll keep you posted on skin rashes.

Pulsed the material in the Vitamix and set it up in cool well water for a few days.

If I don't post again, you may fear the worst. ;-)

Oregonism

If I don't post again, you may fear the worst. ;-)

I certainly may have embellished on that one and maybe need to draw it back. But honestly, this family is one of the first families you are made aware of when starting out in the PNW in ethnobotany. Seems like you have done some good starting research, just take heed, you are now in thinking person's territory and I applaud you.

After all its just parsley :smokeit:

[edit:I have cow parsnip in my nettle patch and I wonder sometimes if it's edible, the stuff is 7-8 ft. tall right about now, unbelievable how big it gets next to a constant water source. ]

[They along with nettle seem to condition the soil quite nicely, my OD girls were put in the Earliest [April] and nothing has caught up to them...yet]

mapinguari

Veteran
After all its just parsley :smokeit:

[edit:I have cow parsnip in my nettle patch and I wonder sometimes if it's edible, the stuff is 7-8 ft. tall right about now, unbelievable how big it gets next to a constant water source. ]

[They along with nettle seem to condition the soil quite nicely, my OD girls were put in the Earliest [April] and nothing has caught up to them...yet]

Thanks for the nice comments.

Probably I won't smoke it...not directly, anyway!

I don't think your caution is misplaced at all--this family of plants has caused many human and animal deaths, not something to bumble into too lightly.

You might try an FPE from your cow parsnips, who knows?

Oregonism

Oregonism

If you like eating olives then you'll probably want to avoid reading on how they're processed and have been for several centuries.

I was shocked too - LOL

CC

Cootz are you talking about the ferrous sulfate? As in the nasty black color? I hate green olives....

I was wondering how kalamata's are made?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That would be anhydride not acetic, more power to yah I guess.

http://wwwchem.csustan.edu/consumer/vinegar/analysis.htm

Well not sure what you mean but vinegar is certainly a source of acetic acid if that is what you meant. If it was 'using acetic acid to make a rudimentary form of morphine' is inaccurate, well, I don't know how old you are but I learned this in the 70s but using poppy pod 'juice' in various forms with reduced dilute vinegar.

I believe you are talking about using acetic anhydride for codiene extractions and or heroin production.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/codeine.homebake.labs.html

I always figured that boiling the vinegar first cooked off a lot of the water...maybe wrong...seemed to work and I do know opiate effect very well ..270 mg daily. Try it.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We aerated water for around 8 hours and it still stunk of chlorine. A lab techician whom I trust neutralized both chlorine and chloramines with molasses

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Cootz are you talking about the ferrous sulfate? As in the nasty black color? I hate green olives....

I was wondering how kalamata's are made?

I don't know much about kalamatas but the best olives I've had were washed in water for two days, dried then placed in a jar with garlic cloves, a chopped hot pepper or two and pieces of wild fennel and lots of rock salt (3 parts salt, 7 parts water).

Leave em for three months, and voilà olive in salamoia

M

MrSterling

You guys talk about comfrey a lot, so I looked it up and realized it's a close relative of borage, which I grew a bunch of this year. Anyone here know if borage can be used in the same way? I have it planted for it's companion purposes, but if I can chop it down at the end of the year, all the better.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Borage is a plant that will give you the benefits you're looking for in Comfrey. I have a ton of Borage plants (unintended) that I'm working with and I'm more than pleased with the results.

HTH

CC

M

MrSterling

Thanks, CC. This was my first year growing it. I looked out in my garden about the beginning of June and just said "holy shit!" because of how HUGE the plants had gotten in such a short time.

Latest posts

Latest posts