What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Feminized seeds- Do pro's use them?

sajesak

Do top-shelf commercial/medical growers use feminized seeds?

Have any feminized seeds won a cannabis cup?

I know that most commercial growers are using clones, but many do pheno hunts. When they do, are they ever using feminized seeds?

I am old-school in that I don't really trust the whole feminized and auto category of seeds. I want to know if real deal growers actually use them, or are they just for small time people who want shortcuts.

Is there any quality difference between a feminized vs regular?

My instinct tells me there must be a drop in quality, but that's just intuition not based on any facts or statistics.
Does anyone know where I can look for data on this?

sajesak

I know that most commercial growers are using clones, but many do pheno hunts. When they do, are they ever using feminized seeds?

I am old-school in that I don't really trust the whole feminized and auto category of seeds. I want to know if real deal growers actually use them, or are they just for small time people who want shortcuts.

Is there any quality difference between a feminized vs regular from this shop ILGM?

My instinct tells me there must be a drop in quality, but that's just intuition not based on any facts or statistics.
appreciate any input. thanks in advance

browntrout

Veteran
I’m willing to bet feminized seeds are much more prevalent than you’re thinking.

It has been said that Chem 91 may of been an accidental S1, as it is said to breed very true.

Girlscout cookies allegedly is the product of an accidental pollenation.

Diesel too??

Most pure kush/OG lines likely involve accidental or deliberate feminization.

What does one do when he or she wants to breed two clone onlys together? Typically clone onlys don’t have male/female seed stocks on tap for males to be used.

I’d think over half of big name “elite” strains involve feminization in the pedigree. Like or not.

I personally breed male/female and prefer that, but when it comes down to preserving a strain or old clone without having a male around the feminization route negates the need for outcrossing. In which I can get behind.

Dime

I think they use them all the time and so do breeders,it can save a lot of time fixing traits. Are femmed examples allowed at the C cup? If so that would be odd since you can't naturally reproduce and the whole point to me would be to make an easily reproducible, consistent, outstanding line. Quality would be more consistent but less diverse to find the grail. Pretty much all weed eventually goes weedy unless selected. I think the cups are over-hyped and many times the seeds of winners don't breed true and when you buy them you are disappointed.

Dime

I’m willing to bet feminized seeds are much more prevalent than you’re thinking.

It has been said that Chem 91 may of been an accidental S1, as it is said to breed very true.

Girlscout cookies allegedly is the product of an accidental pollenation.

Diesel too??

Most pure kush/OG lines likely involve accidental or deliberate feminization.

What does one do when he or she wants to breed two clone onlys together? Typically clone onlys don’t have male/female seed stocks on tap for males to be used.

I’d think over half of big name “elite” strains involve feminization in the pedigree. Like or not.

I personally breed male/female and prefer that, but when it comes down to preserving a strain or old clone without having a male around the feminization route negates the need for outcrossing. In which I can get behind.
The breeders have the regular but most won't sell them because they want repeat sales.I can't blame them, to make a true breeding line can take years only to have someone knock it off in 3 months

crimsonecho

feminization wouldnt decrease quality imo. with autos i can understand such doubts as the plant is crossed with some very low thc producing lineage to acquire day neutrality but fem is just the same genetic make up without a y chromosome. i cant say i grew the same strains both fem and regular but i grow both fems and regulars and there were no difference between them in quality that can be attributed to their reproductive properties.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I was working a bit at a legal OP this summer that was all feminized hoop grown. 9000 plants in 4 acres of hoops and they also sold starts to many of the other permitted growers.

they need to be checked and tagged for herms if you want a seedless crop. 6-10% overall herm rate at this op this season, workers inspect every plant and pull sacs.

20230914_161629 copy 2.jpg

quality was great with nutrition by @slownickel

DSC_0357 copy.JPG

DSC_0346 copy.JPG

DSC_0329 copy 2.JPG

DSC_0201 copy.JPG

harvest timing can be an issue with the fem seeds as there are often phenos that don't finish at the same time, it could create quality issues if you need to harvest every plant in a section at the same time.

DSC_0759 copy 2.JPG

this is as real deal as it gets, millions invested and sold at a profit in the NY legal market. 4 growers managing 4 acres, 30 temp farm workers come in at harvest.

DSC_3502 copy.JPG

DSC_3792 copy.JPG

DSC_0837 copy 2.JPG

Ca++

I'm not seeing a problem. There will always be someone saying things are inferior, and trying to put a number on just how bad. There seems to be very low estimates regarding the difference though, which sounds more like wishful thinking than fact.

If I thought I could get better plants, I would try. However, I'm just not conviniced at all. So I use femanised almost exclusively.

Asentrouw

Why would there be any drop in quality? The genetics don't change, only the sex.

In the end it's all about finding the right pheno's, which can be found in any seedstock, wether it's from regular or feminized beans. From there on cloning is the way to go.

There might be some "ethical arguments" against feminization, but for me it's all the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts