What's new

Fem seeds=hermies?

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
^^^ bing bing BAM... it's all about "which" process of FEMinization... said breeder uses...
and the genetic make up can influence certain traits... so if one part of the strain comes from unstable breeding... those stray traits can carry over ... unless U truly do multiple backcrossing ...pushing for a IBL ....

madalasatori

Veteran
I've grown hundreds if not thousand of femmed seeds from all sorts of breeders and never had a single hermie. And I'm a pretty crappy grower

aquavitae

I've had a bad batch of seeds hermie out before and Im wondering if you guys think I should go with regular or fem seeds? I've heard aalot of conflicting stuff on fem seeds. the company I'm ordering from is Rare Dankness.

most people prefer and would advise you to go for regs if possible.. (what MJPassion wrote basically), also if you go for regs, you theoretically always get more for your moneys worth, obviously depends what you re looking for (m/f ratio). RD have a good reputation. some strains are only available as fems, imo shouldnt be the crucial element to back off pulling the trigger on beans.

so No, fems do not = herm, in general, cannabis(polyploid) herms if its "unhappy"

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Isnt the sts or cs spray a temporary thing?

Doesnt the plant revert back to its genetically predetermined sex?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Isnt the sts or cs spray a temporary thing?

Doesnt the plant revert back to its genetically predetermined sex?

While I've not used either myself, everything I've seen would indicate a yes answer...

My brother watered a female with CS & that plant never reverted in the few weeks he had it so he colected pollen for quite a while.
:crazy: :dunno:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
M J, where did you post that link for me, thought it was in this thread. Fascinating stuff genetic memory.

HeriMarry

I have grown fems off an on for however long female seeds(the breeder/seedbank) have been around. And my experience has been zero herms but I have noticed that the fem plants I kept an cloned for multiple years do lose there vigor quicker than standard/regular seeds that I have run at the same time. This was my experience an I will still buy the occasional fem.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
While I've not used either myself, everything I've seen would indicate a yes answer...

My brother watered a female with CS & that plant never reverted in the few weeks he had it so he colected pollen for quite a while.
:crazy: :dunno:

Yes, it's said to be temporary. With sts you have to keep spraying once a week until the male flowers appear. Then stop spraying. The plant will finish its flower cycle as a male and die off or will be revegged by you and will most likely be the old female again.

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
So it never really switches sex, wouldn't this mean that the frequency of intersex children should remain unchanged?

I never had a hermie from a fem but have only grown out a handful of freebies. I prefer regular seeds because I have a room dedicated to selecting the best males for breeding.

I still haven't gotten all that many hermies from regulars but have grown well over a thousand. But some people seem to get a lot of hermies regardless my money says stress, really anyone who explained the details of their grow I have found some form of stress.

I believe inbreeding andusing chemicals to alter a plants sex are the reason theres so nany mutations and crap coming from seed i understand breeders trying to make a particular pheno be dominant amongst seeds so that the grower can find something that represents what they were advertised to be but i would prefer open pollinations with no inbreeding ever and growers having to do proper pheno hunts to find something they like if this were the case i believe there would be a whole lot more flavours about and plants would have healthier genes imo.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So it never really switches sex, wouldn't this mean that the frequency of intersex children should remain unchanged?

Nope... Genetically the plant does not switch sex.

To reiterate Chimera, Ethylene is used as a switch for sexual expression in cannabis. It's the same chemical that causes bananas to ripen.

Check out this first post by Charles Scott.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=308085

This may also interest yall.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=287116

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe inbreeding andusing chemicals to alter a plants sex are the reason theres so nany mutations and crap coming from seed i understand breeders trying to make a particular pheno be dominant amongst seeds so that the grower can find something that represents what they were advertised to be but i would prefer open pollinations with no inbreeding ever and growers having to do proper pheno hunts to find something they like if this were the case i believe there would be a whole lot more flavours about and plants would have healthier genes imo.

1- What an individual believes sometimes has no basis in reality or proven facts.

2-OP with no inbreeding ever!!!
You must be kidding... That or you like to smoke rope!
Do you forage for your food from the forest too?
We wouldn't have the veggies we've got if it weren't for inbreeding. Corn would still be grass! Potatoes would only be found in the Andes & then you'd have to pick & chose which tubers were worth harvesting for food.

I'm happy to have had Luther Burbank get hold of all the varieties he did. This world would be even hungrier than it already is if it weren't for the various breeders throughout history.

1- What an individual believes sometimes has no basis in reality or proven facts.

2-OP with no inbreeding ever!!!
You must be kidding... That or you like to smoke rope!
Do you forage for your food from the forest too?
We wouldn't have the veggies we've got if it weren't for inbreeding. Corn would still be grass! Potatoes would only be found in the Andes & then you'd have to pick & chose which tubers were worth harvesting for food.

I'm happy to have had Luther Burbank get hold of all the varieties he did. This world would be even hungrier than it already is if it weren't for the various breeders throughout history.
There is no need to start tryna take the piss out of ppl it was a thought from a stoner and selective breeding can stil be achieved without inbreeding. Have a very nice day

meizzwang

Typically, the genes for hermaphrodism are in the parents and they are carried as recessive genes. Many polyhybrids have these hermaphrodite genes "hidden", but selfing a plant (ie. feminizing a seed) or crossing with another plant that has hermaphrodite genes can increase the chances of these genes being expressed in the offspring. Reversing a female plant to produce male organs rarely is the cause of the mutation itself, but it can happen at this point.

Making feminized seeds from a line that contains recessive genes for hermaphroditism increases the chances of the offspring becoming a hermaphrodite, but it doesn't mean every resulting seedling will be a hermi.

In over-simplified terms:The genetics of the parent plant has the greatest impact on whether or not a feminized seed batch will have a lot of hermi offspring.

Emmay_Dee

Hermaphroditism is a recessive gene in all strains. It's brought upon excessive when the pollen of a particular hermie girl reaches a sister plant. Just because all the seeds are from the same stock doesnt mean all the genetics are the same unless clones were taken from a mother. Only the hermied plant would shed true f1 fems. The other sisters of the same seed stock that captured her pollen would be bunk banana hermies. These are the seeds mostly labeled fems but are sucky hermies from the second 12/12 comes.

~Thank Me Later~

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is no need to start tryna take the piss out of ppl it was a thought from a stoner and selective breeding can stil be achieved without inbreeding. Have a very nice day

Wrong again yo!
Ignorant statements need corrected before myth becomes legend becomes prima facia fact. Take it for what you will.

The moment an individual removes/segregates one single plant from a population, for whatever reason, inbreeding has begun.

If a breeder pops 1000 seeds & segregates 100 of them from the population for an open pollination that breeder has effectively eliminated some genetic material. If they remove those 100 plants & OP the 900... It is still removing genetic material & thus inbreeding.

When a breeder chooses a plant or two to collect seed from a landrace population, the resulting offspring are inbreed because they are segregated from the remaining population. You get some of the males (from said population) genes but not the other females.

@meizzwang, @Emmay_Dee,
Hermaphrodism is not encoded the way you propose. There is NOT a hermaphrodite gene. Sexual expression is determined by ethylene production/blocking + genes.

XX is still female but when ethylene is blocked, sexual expression favors male parts.
Various stresses cause ethylene blocking & therefore, hermaphrodism.

Silver blocks ethylene production in cannabis so can be used to manipulate a plants sexual expression.

This has been known for decades now. This is not new science.

If i select a male from india africa and mexico and use their pollen to pollinate females i found from brazil and afghan i have selected different plants and bred them without making them fuck their mums dads brothers or sisters or any relative. Doing this surely is selective breeding without inbreeding. What happens when brothers and sisters continuously have babies? Just a thought. No need to be a rude prick and ask me if i forage u know it all prick.mj passion

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If i select a male from india africa and mexico and use their pollen to pollinate females i found from brazil and afghan i have selected different plants and bred them without making them fuck their mums dads brothers or sisters or any relative. Doing this surely is selective breeding without inbreeding. What happens when brothers and sisters continuously have babies? Just a thought. ..

but the parent stock you say you used would all have been inbred for generations, thats what landraces or IBL's are. and it takes inbred plants being crossed to make a vigorous and predictable F1 hybrid - so your rather anthropomorphized take on inbreeding being 'bad' doesnt really work. if all we had were F1 hybrids and polyhybrids then we really would be f*cked.

VG